FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New dirty and sneaky invasion of privacy in new Facebook and Wechat updates

637 posts
Thanks Meter: 30

By desiregeek, Senior Member on 23rd April 2013, 10:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Recently we all see new updates coming out on various applications out there. On Wechat recently in one of the updates it stated various bug fixes and mods but did not state that once you update to its new application that you will no longer be able to uninstall this application from your smartphone. I have an HTC One X and a Samsung Note 2. I updated on my HTC but not on my Samsung Note 2 after updating I found that my uninstall option had vanished. Slowly but surely these applications always come up with new updates that invade our privacy.

On the new HTC ONE I noticed recently that it came with Wechat and Facebook here in Taiwan and the option to uninstall was not available. What is irritating is that they have the permission to Toggle your accounts and act as account manager to control your sync options to basically sync what they want and need.

Below I added some images to show before and after update while they did not tell you that after you update you will no longer be able to uninstall I thought that was one bad ass move on their behalf to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	1904902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1904903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	1904907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1904923  

23rd April 2013, 01:15 PM |#2  
Flag Malappuram, Kerala
Thanks Meter: 1,930

More
They can't be uninstalled like regular apps, because they are system apps mate! They come pre-installed with the stock firmware! To uninstall them, you need root privileges.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
Sent from my SGS II
23rd April 2013, 01:43 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I also have the option of uninstalling all the updates for Facebook app but can't uninstall the app itself. If I root my device will I be able to uninstall the app itself?
23rd April 2013, 04:05 PM |#4  
Flag Madison WI
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenerudenko

I also have the option of uninstalling all the updates for Facebook app but can't uninstall the app itself. If I root my device will I be able to uninstall the app itself?

Yes you will :P

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Androideka5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Androideka5 Ad-Free
23rd April 2013, 04:20 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalneo

They can't be uninstalled like regular apps, because they are system apps mate! They come pre-installed with the stock firmware! To uninstall them, you need root privileges.

Sent from my SGS II

Thanks for the kind reply The problem is that these kinds of applications are now being forced upon us with no uninstall option without root. The other problem is that they are making them uninstallable in their updates without notifying us. We see minor bug fixes not major uninstall option lost being noted in their "what's new updates?"
23rd April 2013, 06:21 PM |#6  
Flag Malappuram, Kerala

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiregeek

The other problem is that they are making them uninstallable in their updates without notifying us

I don't think that happens mate. I have never seen any third party app turn into a system app after updating. Theoretically, if that were to happen, the app would ask for appropriate permissions before updating.

Sent from my SGS II
23rd April 2013, 07:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
I had a htc g2 and there i couldnt uninstall facebook too
And i was on 2.3
After rooting it, it worked of course

Greets Vauvenal7

Sent from my HTC myTouch_4G_slide
23rd April 2013, 07:45 PM |#8  
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 3,067

More
Unless you're rooted and the you granted the app root permission, I don't think it could have moved itself. If it came preloaded on the phone, it's normal that you can't uninstall it [without root]. However, if you're not rooted and the app really did do this by itself, I would report it to the Google from the Play Store. That's abuse of permissions and breach of privacy.
23rd April 2013, 09:18 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1,083

More
Quote:

Thanks for the kind reply The problem is that these kinds of applications are now being forced upon us with no uninstall option without root. The other problem is that they are making them uninstallable in their updates without notifying us. We see minor bug fixes not major uninstall option lost being noted in their "what's new updates?"

This is why many people don't enjoy OEM skins, they add a lot of bloatware which many don't need and often which takes up a fair amount of space when totaled together. However, I'm pretty sure a user app can't just turn into a system app with an update without you knowing. Are you absolutely certain Facebook didn't come preloaded on the One X? I think all HTC phones come with 'Facebook for HTC Sense' or something like that (although it may just have been on GB).
23rd April 2013, 11:43 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalneo

I don't think that happens mate. I have never seen any third party app turn into a system app after updating. Theoretically, if that were to happen, the app would ask for appropriate permissions before updating.

Sent from my SGS II

I posted pictures of before update of Wechat on the Samsung Note 2 and after update on my HTC. Have you tried installing this application on your smartphone? Are you able to uninstall?
24th April 2013, 03:27 AM |#11  
Flag Malappuram, Kerala

More
Quote:

I posted pictures of before update of Wechat on the Samsung Note 2 and after update on my HTC. Have you tried installing this application on your smartphone? Are you able to uninstall?

Ur HTC does not show uninstall button on v4.3 because ur phone probably came preloaded with that version. So u can find the uninstall button when on v4.5! Understood?

To prove it to u, I just now installed WeChat, ran it and then uninstalled it with no issues! Check the attached screenshots.

Sent from my SGS II
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366770410203.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1906956   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366770421657.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1906957   Click image for larger version