FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FIX] Fastboot problems on Windows 8 x64 with USB 3.0? Solution inside.

591 posts
Thanks Meter: 134

By salada2k, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 02:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Some of you are like myself are having trouble getting the fastboot drivers to install correctly on Windows 8. The device is always showing with an exclamation mark on it in device manager, and 'fastboot devices' shows nothing. There are other threads out there on XDA which detail methods, such as KidCarter93's method here which show you how to force install the Win7 fastboot drivers on Windows 8.

The problem is this doesn't work for some of us, and I suspected it was something to do with my Ultrabook only having USB 3.0 ports, since my other Win8 x64 box with USB 2.0 ports has no such issue.

I had a poke around and found this site here which shows you how to remove the Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers and instead install the Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 8.

After following the procedure carefully, I can confirm this fixes the problem for me on Windows 8! After successfully installing the drivers, fastboot started working immediately for me.

Step 1: Install the HTC drivers from the standard HTC Sync Manager (Win7/8). If you are on Windows 8.1, please use the HTC Drivers linked later in this thread here (thanks Kardus!)
Follow KidCarter93's method to manually install the Win7 drivers. Read Here. Or you could manually install the latest drivers being maintained in this thread here. I tried them all before arriving at a fix, so my system isnt exactly clean, but I'm sure you could try one or the other as the important part is step 2.

Step 2: Hit up Plugable's site which has a great step by step explanation of how to install the Intel USB 3.0 drivers. Full credit to Jerome for writing the guide, and Ekko who did the original work.

UPDATE: As per Coolookoo's discovery (Thanks Coolookoo!), if you are using a 4th Gen Haswell based Intel CPU, then you need to get the Intel USB 3.0 drivers from this link here instead of the link at Plugable's site. You will however still need his modded .inf files.

Step 3..... Profit

You should now have fastboot working flawlessly on Win8 x64 with USB 3.0, and as a added gift some older 'incompatible' USB devices that you may own should also now work under Windows 8.

Would love to hear some feedback on how this went for you.

If it helped, please hit the Thanks button!

Thanks!!
The Following 93 Users Say Thank You to salada2k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift salada2k Ad-Free

29th April 2013, 06:34 PM |#2  
Flag boosbeck
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Hey you are a star. This has been annoying me for weeks now on my usb 3 laptop. can confirm that following your guide worked perfectly and now fastboot recognised perfect.

Thank you
30th April 2013, 12:56 AM |#3  
Flag Bradford/London
Thanks Meter: 14

Donate to Me
More
You sir are the man !, I was beginning to think nobody else was having the same issue as me .I've been resorting to using my laptop's usb 2 port to do all my fastboot stuff, sine my desktop has only usb 3's , and this quick fix has made the four usb 3's on the back of my desktop work flawlessly. So yeah thanks for that mate.

Now just to get the two side usb 3 ports working for easier access since they run of a Texas instruments controller.

Sent From My Tricked Out HTC One

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Never mind, I just downloaded the texas instruments usb 3 driver for windows 7 from the Dell site, extracted the files and left clicked and installed both ini files, and viola, they're working.
Thanks again for posting this, it's much appreciated

Sent From My Tricked Out HTC One
30th April 2013, 01:38 AM |#4  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I was able to find this fix as well and I can confirm that it works great. I am using the Surface Pro for most of my flashing and don't have a USB 2.0 port. I was so glad to find this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonOSU For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GordonOSU Ad-Free
30th April 2013, 02:10 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Smile
That's great guys really glad this is working for you. Thanks for the feedback!
The Following User Says Thank You to salada2k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift salada2k Ad-Free
30th April 2013, 06:48 AM |#6  
Flag north texas
Thanks Meter: 565

More
@salada2k - thanks for posting this... i have a Dell XPS 12 i7 ultrabook and this fix worked for me as well....
3rd May 2013, 02:08 AM |#7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 237

Donate to Me
More
Great post, thank you!
While I'm not going to mess with the 3.0 drivers (seems there are advantages to using built-in stack for supported devices), this did at least point me in the direction of using my 2.0 ports instead for fastboot, which works great.
Thanks again!
4th May 2013, 11:59 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAapps

Great post, thank you!
While I'm not going to mess with the 3.0 drivers (seems there are advantages to using built-in stack for supported devices), this did at least point me in the direction of using my 2.0 ports instead for fastboot, which works great.
Thanks again!

It's my pleasure! p.s. Which advantages are you referring to using the built in stack?
4th May 2013, 11:59 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 237

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by salada2k

It's my pleasure! p.s. Which advantages are you referring to using the built in stack?

Not sure. The plugable.com page you linked said something about some benefits (like uasp?) but didn't look into it any, just switched over to my 2.0 ports.
2nd June 2013, 03:17 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Well i gave it a go, still didnt work. adb recognizes my HTC One when it is booted into the regular system, but as soon as it goes into fastboot it is not recognized.... Any other suggestions?
2nd June 2013, 02:53 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
same
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)