FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[root]Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By Jay Dogg, Junior Member on 29th April 2013, 08:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone, Im making a new rooting tutorial for the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G as the last tutorial [root]\{cm9} samsung galaxy relay 4g (updated 11/19) wasn't working for me. This tutorial will also have more details so will be easier to follow for the less technical.

BEFORE I START I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. ROOTING YOUR PHONE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY..

1. Follow this guide for setting up the SDK. If you already have SDK, great move on to step 2
2. Download Drivers and install them. If you already have your drives installed move on to stop 3
3. Download Odin v3.04
4. Unzip the Odin archive. Put it somewhere you can find it, on the root of your C:\ drive is a good place.
5. Download ClockworkMod-based Recovery
6. Unzip cwm.tar.zip into Odin3-v3.04 folder that you unzipped in step 4
7. Download Super User
8. Place UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip on your phones sdcard.
9. Run the Odin executable "Odin3 v3.04.exe" in the Odin3-v3 folder
9.5 Go into your phone settings and click on Develop Option then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
10. Power off your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and connect the USB adapter to the computer and to your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
11. Boot the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G into download mode by holding down Home, Volume Down and Power
NOTE: To confirm the device is connected and working, look for the blue COM box with the word Added!! inside
12. Uncheck the box labeled Auto Reboot
13. Press the dialog box labeled PDA and select the ClockworkMod-based Recovery named "cwm.tar.md5"
14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred
15. Once the recovery has been transferred you should see a Green PASSED. At his point disconnect the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and remove the battery
14. Put your battery back in your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and Immediately boot into recovery by holding down Home, Volume Up and Power
15. Once in recovery use volume down to select install zip from sdcard and hit power
16. Use volume down key to select UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip and hit power.
17. Now you are rooted but we are not done yet, Reboot your phone and make sure super user is showing up in the app drawer.
18. Now open up a cmd window by going to the start menu of windows and typing in cmd in the search or by clicking on run on the right hand side.
19. In the cmd window navigate to adb which is part of the SDK kit you installed in step one.
20. Once you are in the same directory as adb.exe type adb shell.
21. Now type su and a pop up will show up on your phone
22. Click grant permission yes
23. Now type mount -o remount rw /system
24. Type cd system
25. Type rm recovery-from-boot.p
26. Type cd etc
27. Type rm install-recovery.sh
28. Repeat steps 9 to 14 BUT SKIP STEP 12

10. Power off your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and connect the USB adapter to the computer and to your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
11. Boot the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G into download mode by holding down Home, Volume Down and Power
NOTE: To confirm the device is connected and working, look for the blue COM box with the word Added!! inside
13. Press the dialog box labeled PDA and select the ClockworkMod-based Recovery named "cwm.tar.md5"
14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred.

Phone will restart and you now have a custom recovery and are rooted.

Thanks Jay
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jay Dogg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jay Dogg Ad-Free

1st May 2013, 03:38 AM |#2  
Flag Southampton
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dogg

Hello everyone, Im making a new rooting tutorial for the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G as the last tutorial [root]\{cm9} samsung galaxy relay 4g (updated 11/19) wasn't working for me. This tutorial will also have more details so will be easier to follow for the less technical.

BEFORE I START I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. ROOTING YOUR PHONE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY..

1. Follow this guide for setting up the SDK. If you already have SDK, great move on to step 2
2. Download Drivers and install them. If you already have your drives installed move on to stop 3
3. Download Odin v3.04
4. Unzip the Odin archive. Put it somewhere you can find it, on the root of your C:\ drive is a good place.
7. Download Super User
9.5 Go into your phone settings and click on Develop Option then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred
15. Once the recovery has been transferred you should see a Green PASSED. At his point disconnect the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and remove the battery
14. Put your battery back in your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and Immediately boot into recovery by holding down Home, Volume Up and Power
15. Once in recovery use volume down to select install zip from sdcard and hit power
17. Now you are rooted but we are not done yet, Reboot your phone and make sure super user is showing up in the app drawer.
18. Now open up a cmd window by going to the start menu of windows and typing in cmd in the search or by clicking on run on the right hand side.
19. In the cmd window navigate to adb which is part of the SDK kit you installed in step one.
24. Type cd system
26. Type cd etc

14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred.

Does this root method work for Jelly Bean 4.1.2 running Relay devices?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app
1st May 2013, 07:25 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizuki

Does this root method work for Jelly Bean 4.1.2 running Relay devices?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app

yes this should would with any firmware
The Following User Says Thank You to crunkjuice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crunkjuice Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 07:50 PM |#4  
Flag Southampton
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dogg

3. Download Odin v3.04
7. Download Super User
24. Type cd system
26. Type cd etc

Thanks Jay

I've done most of the instructions said and everything seems fine with my phone. I have SU and it is rooted, but I'm stuck on "25. Type rm recovery-from-boot.p" because when I type it in, it says that the rm failed because there was no such file or directory. Is it really important/necessary to have a custom recovery?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrizuki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chrizuki Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 11:35 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizuki

I've done most of the instructions said and everything seems fine with my phone. I have SU and it is rooted, but I'm stuck on "25. Type rm recovery-from-boot.p" because when I type it in, it says that the rm failed because there was no such file or directory. Is it really important/necessary to have a custom recovery?

Quick answer is no you do not need the custom recovery but it is a good idea to have it. As far as step 25 goes make sure you are in the correct directory. Once you have gotten into your phone using adb shell type cd system. Then type pwd and make sure you are in /system. If you are in system type "ls" and see if the file "recovery-from-boot.p" is there. Repeat these steps for the "install-recovery.sh" file. Now if both file are gone off your phone you can Repeat steps 9 to 14 BUT SKIP STEP 12 or even better if the files didn't exist at all then your should be rooted and already have the custom recovery. You can check to see if you have the custom recovery by booting into recovery by holding down Home, Volume Up and Power or by typing adb reboot recovery but make sure you are not in adb shell.

I wrote this tutorial because the Samsung Galaxy Relay 4g I was rooting had these files "recovery-from-boot.p" and "install-recovery.sh" which was more or less a fail safe for the phones recovery. Every time the phone booted it was checking the recovery and replacing it with the stock recovery by using those two files. So my work around was to get the phone rooted and delete those two files then reflash the custom recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Dogg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jay Dogg Ad-Free
2nd May 2013, 02:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thumbs up
This procedure worked perfectly for me, thanks. I just bought this phone for my Wife. It auto-upgraded to Jelly Bean OTA, and I was ready to root and load recovery. I'm now rooted, and took my first nandroid backup.

The only thing I had to figure out, was how to boot to download mode and recovery. I've done this procedure on many phones and tablets, including a Samsung Galaxy S2, but this phone was a little different. After pressing the volume key, home, and power, you have to release all buttons as soon as you see any text on the screen. For download mode, I had to immediately press volume up within 2 seconds, or it would continue to something else.

I'm curious about this clockwork recovery too. Was it originally written for another device? It works good. I just don't see it offered for this phone in Rom Manager.

Again thanks for taking time to type up this procedure, and for the extra steps at the end for the override.
2nd May 2013, 03:33 PM |#7  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 1,132

Donate to Me
More
CWM isn't in ROM Manager probably because we haven't submitted it to them
The Following User Says Thank You to Nardholio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nardholio Ad-Free
17th May 2013, 06:47 PM |#8  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 19

More
cannot cannot for the life of me get this phone to go in recovery. Basically stuck right at step 11. Nothing doing. I hold V down, power, home then I get a msg that tells me V down to power off and V up to start download. Anything I do, phone will just reboot. What am I missing?
17th May 2013, 07:38 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devis

cannot cannot for the life of me get this phone to go in recovery. Basically stuck right at step 11. Nothing doing. I hold V down, power, home then I get a msg that tells me V down to power off and V up to start download. Anything I do, phone will just reboot. What am I missing?

Step 11 is to boot into download mode not recovery but in post 6 Jorakal said "The only thing I had to figure out, was how to boot to download mode and recovery. I've done this procedure on many phones and tablets, including a Samsung Galaxy S2, but this phone was a little different. After pressing the volume key, home, and power, you have to release all buttons as soon as you see any text on the screen. For download mode, I had to immediately press volume up within 2 seconds, or it would continue to something else." I didn't have to do it that way but if it worked for Jorakal it may work for you.

If that doesn't work for you, you can always try using adb to reboot into download mode the command is "adb reboot download", this will work for you but you may run into problems on step 14 if you can't boot into recovery using "Home, Volume Up and Power" because by the time you can use adb to boot into recovery the phone has already replaced your custom recovery with the stock one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Dogg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jay Dogg Ad-Free
17th May 2013, 08:01 PM |#10  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I'll try... thanks!
4th July 2013, 11:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
Sign
Quote:

15. Once the recovery has been transferred you should see a Green PASSED.

I conclude it is in Odin program.
But on the phone even when its finished in Odin, still white Downloading... And green : Do not turn off target.
Is it right, as I have some problems after reboot.
It is like crashing 3 or 4 times, you can see that on my video.
http://youtu.be/3V24FbY0jH8

I used Odin 3.07 and Super User 1.34
In phone I can see :
Qualcomm secureboot : enable - is that OK?

UPDATE:
All is working fine now.
I follow all steps again.
We don't need to do it with adb, all related commands to adb could be done in shell apk.
Regards and thanks for tutorial.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
rooting samsung galaxy relay 4g

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)