FORUMS

Tutorial: Un-Bricking Padfone 2 (and possibly other android devices)

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By HelmerN, Junior Member on 29th April 2013, 10:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Earlier today I bricked my Padfone 2 by installing 3rd part font. After a reboot to apply the changes, it got to the boot logo but never any further.
I got it up and running again, and to those out there in same or similar situation, here's a tutorial on what I did:

Before we start, there's a few things you need;
1.1 Latest ADB version (I used 1.0.31) [ATTACHED]
1.2 Latest Fastboot version [ATTACHED]
1.3 CWM Recovery [ATTACHED]
1.4 Latest ASUS USB Drivers (available from ASUS Support site) [ATTACHED]
1.5 Padfone 2 Firmware (available from ASUS Support site)
*** NOTE: For ease of use, place extract and place all of the above to the same folder.
*** NOTE: Inside the Padfone 2 Firmware ZIP file, there's another ZIP file. This is the one we need! The one I used was called "WWE_A68-10.4.15.1-0-ota-user.zip"
*** NOTE: This method does not install CWM Recovery on your phone, it only boots it temporarily.

If you have all of the above, continue to step 2;
2.1 Booting your Padfone 2 into Fastboot mode
2.2 Press and hold Power + Volume up buttons

In Fastboot mode, connect your phone to your computer and launch cmd. Wait for windows to install necessary drivers if needed.
3.1 Navigate your CMD to the folder containing ADB, Fastboot and CWM Recovery (recovery.img)
3.2 In CMD type:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
In the CWM Recovery on your phone, select the option titled "Install ZIP from sideload".
Use the volume keys to navigate and select by pressing the power button.
4.1 In CMD, transfer the Padfone 2 Firmware by typing
Code:
adb sideload [firmware-file-name.zip]
- Example from my case, I wrote:
Code:
adb sideload WWE_A68-10.4.15.1-0-ota-user.zip
4.2 When it is done, you'll be presented with CWM Recovery's screen again, select "Reboot system now".
4.3 CWM Recovery will present you with a warning saying: "ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix?" - Select "NO".

If you are experiencing problems with driver installation, you can fix it manually. If windows installed the drivers correctly, skip this step. To solve this, go to device manager by entering the Start menu, right-click Computer and select “Manage”. Select the Device Manager.
  • You should see a failed device named A68. Right-click it and select “Update device software”
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software”
  • Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
  • Select “Have Disk”
  • Now browse and navigate to the folder you extracted your ASUS USB Drivers to and select the file named “android_winusb.inf”
  • Select “ASUS Android ADB Interface” and install.

All done! You should have a working Padfone 2 again!
Please note that you may need to root your phone again.

Please credit if used
/HelmerN
Attached Files
File Type: zip adb.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.42 MB, 4008 views)
File Type: zip fastboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (254.1 KB, 3918 views)
File Type: zip ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows_20120717.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.28 MB, 4767 views)
File Type: zip CWM-Recovery.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.55 MB, 6193 views)
File Type: pdf Un-Bricking Padfone 2.pdf - [Click for QR Code] (254.0 KB, 3696 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HelmerN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HelmerN Ad-Free
17th July 2013, 12:14 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmerN

Earlier today I bricked my Padfone 2 by installing 3rd part font. After a reboot to apply the changes, it got to the boot logo but never any further.
I got it up and running again, and to those out there in same or similar situation, here's a tutorial on what I did:

Before we start, there's a few things you need;
1.1 Latest ADB version (I used 1.0.31) [ATTACHED]
1.2 Latest Fastboot version [ATTACHED]
1.3 CWM Recovery [ATTACHED]
1.4 Latest ASUS USB Drivers (available from ASUS Support site) [ATTACHED]
1.5 Padfone 2 Firmware (available from ASUS Support site)
*** NOTE: For ease of use, place extract and place all of the above to the same folder.
*** NOTE: Inside the Padfone 2 Firmware ZIP file, there's another ZIP file. This is the one we need! The one I used was called "WWE_A68-10.4.15.1-0-ota-user.zip"
*** NOTE: This method does not install CWM Recovery on your phone, it only boots it temporarily.

If you have all of the above, continue to step 2;
2.1 Booting your Padfone 2 into Fastboot mode
2.2 Press and hold Power + Volume up buttons

In Fastboot mode, connect your phone to your computer and launch cmd. Wait for windows to install necessary drivers if needed.
3.1 Navigate your CMD to the folder containing ADB, Fastboot and CWM Recovery (recovery.img)
3.2 In CMD type:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
In the CWM Recovery on your phone, select the option titled "Install ZIP from sideload".
Use the volume keys to navigate and select by pressing the power button.
4.1 In CMD, transfer the Padfone 2 Firmware by typing
Code:
adb sideload [firmware-file-name.zip]
- Example from my case, I wrote:
Code:
4.2 When it is done, you'll be presented with CWM Recovery's screen again, select "Reboot system now".
4.3 CWM Recovery will present you with a warning saying: "ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix?" - Select "NO".

If you are experiencing problems with driver installation, you can fix it manually. If windows installed the drivers correctly, skip this step. To solve this, go to device manager by entering the Start menu, right-click Computer and select “Manage”. Select the Device Manager.
  • You should see a failed device named A68. Right-click it and select “Update device software”
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software”
  • Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
  • Select “Have Disk”
  • Now browse and navigate to the folder you extracted your ASUS USB Drivers to and select the file named “android_winusb.inf”
  • Select “ASUS Android ADB Interface” and install.

All done! You should have a working Padfone 2 again!
Please note that you may need to root your phone again.

Please credit if used
/HelmerN

The f.cking windows not found my phone when try to install drivers windows give my cannot install .....
please tell me what i do to install drivers other drivers or what please help me?
thanks!
2nd August 2013, 06:06 PM |#3  
Flag Recife
Thanks Meter: 69

Donate to Me
More
I wish I could enter into Fastboot mode.

I have two Padfone 2 bricked (by unknow reason) with QHSUSB_DLOAD error (Qualcomm High Speed USB Download).

the whole case: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2220775

Do you have any ideas?
21st August 2013, 05:47 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,

I have the same problem like you rafael_mfr .

Is there any solution to unbrick my padfone 2 ?
6th September 2013, 11:47 PM |#5  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Unhappy Bricked?
I have now joined the club

Not sure if it's bricked or not but the phone is stuck on loading (silver Asus with circulating loading) unstopping for more than an hour.

Tried your technique and all other possible ways but no luck any ideas?
7th September 2013, 10:03 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlykayo

The f.cking windows not found my phone when try to install drivers windows give my cannot install .....
please tell me what i do to install drivers other drivers or what please help me?
thanks!

Have you tried the last step? I mention issues with windows drivers and how to manually install them.
The Following User Says Thank You to HelmerN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HelmerN Ad-Free
7th September 2013, 10:14 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael_mfr

I wish I could enter into Fastboot mode.

I have two Padfone 2 bricked (by unknow reason) with QHSUSB_DLOAD error (Qualcomm High Speed USB Download).

the whole case: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2220775

Do you have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsabodi

Hi,

I have the same problem like you rafael_mfr .

Is there any solution to unbrick my padfone 2 ?

As far as I know, the QHSUSB_DLOAD error is hardware related and cannot be fixed by normal means. I believe it requires some special hardware or flash tool or something.
You could try manually installing the Asus USB drivers by following the last step and see if that works?

In any case, the tutorial only fixes software based issues.

Mine got totally bricked some time ago. Somehow the mainboard was fried and needed replacement.
It didn't react in any way when trying to power it on. If i plugged in the charger, it would get pancake-making hot!
Asus dispatched a UPS guy to pick it up and send it for repair. When the mainboard is fried like mine was, they can't tell if it were rooted or not, so they had to repair it.
All in all, I had a great experience with ASUS warranty
7th September 2013, 10:22 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidace

I have now joined the club

Not sure if it's bricked or not but the phone is stuck on loading (silver Asus with circulating loading) unstopping for more than an hour.

Tried your technique and all other possible ways but no luck any ideas?

Your issue should be fixable!
I'm assuming your bootloader is unlocked?

Was the
Code:
successfull?
7th September 2013, 07:19 PM |#9  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:

Your issue should be fixable!
I'm assuming your bootloader is unlocked?

Was the

Code:
successfull?

Yes, bootloader is unlocked
Yes, adb sideload is working via CWM but tried it with the latest firmware update (WWE_A68-10.4.17.7-0-ota-user.zip) from asus.com after renaming the file to "WWE.zip" for shorter cmd lines

Anything else needs to be checked?
The Following User Says Thank You to droidace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift droidace Ad-Free
7th September 2013, 07:53 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidace

Yes, bootloader is unlocked
Yes, adb sideload is working via CWM but tried it with the latest firmware update (WWE_A68-10.4.17.7-0-ota-user.zip) from asus.com after renaming the file to "WWE.zip" for shorter cmd lines

Anything else needs to be checked?

Did you extract the zip file?
Within the zip file, theres another zip. That's the one you need.

Quote:

Yo dawg! We heard you like zip's, so we put a zip within your zip, so you can zip while zipping

7th September 2013, 08:48 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:

Did you extract the zip file?
Within the zip file, theres another zip. That's the one you need.

Yeah, I had that covered. it's the final zip level ..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
padfone-2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)