FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.

1,615 Vote(s)
64.09%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.

416 Vote(s)
16.51%
I don't know.

489 Vote(s)
19.40%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,428 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,930

Post Reply Email Thread
12th January 2020, 10:51 AM |#44481  
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4umexdeeay

That's why "recommended" was used.
As in, can anyone familiar with a quality forum which can address the above inquiry please provide a name.

You're the antithesis of "noob-friendly".

I encourage you to *not* respond.

Requesting constructive recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

I encourage you to pay attention and learn something. Any of them will be fine, PC's are very common, lots of people use them, therefore, any PC forum will have people that know what they are doing. The accuracy of information that you might receive has nothing to do with "which" forum you post in, accuracy of reply depends on "who" replies.

Tom's Hardware is at the top of the list when you do a search using the terms I suggested. If you knew anything about the Google search engine, you would know the most popular or most relevant links are usually at the top of the list, if it's at the top, that usually means you might want to check it out.

Your idea of "noob friendly" would have been for me to do the thinking for you and give you the "easy" answer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
13th January 2020, 12:55 AM |#44482  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

...Tom's Hardware...

Thank you.
13th January 2020, 06:23 PM |#44483  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
[Help] How could i upgrade on newer android versions?
hey,

I have an Motorola Droid 4 with crDroid (Android 7) on it. I would like to get Android 8 or higher but there are no Roms avaible. Is it possible to port a Rom (Android 8) from another device to my device? or what could i do instead of porting?

Thanks in advance
14th January 2020, 07:30 AM |#44484  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofled

hey,

I have an Motorola Droid 4 with crDroid (Android 7) on it. I would like to get Android 8 or higher but there are no Roms avaible. Is it possible to port a Rom (Android 8) from another device to my device? or what could i do instead of porting?

Thanks in advance

Sure, totally possible, given if you have the developing knowledge. Keep in mind, such porting is quite difficult for average user, given there arent tutorials for it.

Given how old is the Droid 4, my advice would be to change it. Try xiaomi, they ve got good phones for cheap prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
14th January 2020, 07:49 PM |#44485  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,660

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofled

hey,

Thanks in advance

Take a lookhere
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
15th January 2020, 09:51 PM |#44486  

More
ISO
Hello, and thank you for your time...

I have been looking and looking for some sort of technical explanation and overview of the rooting process from complete scratch. With all of the root guides and tutorials flooding the internet, I have had no luck with finding anything. The more technically heavy the better. I am trying to establish a strong foundation in the understanding of this process. I apologize if this request comes across as lazy, but f*ck I am so frustrated and burned out trying to find some materials on the subject. And to be honest, I am not even well enough versed to search out specific terms which would weed out all of these root guides and one-click method crap.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I have no idea what I am doing. But that's okay. Gotta start somewhere. Just clarifying.
15th January 2020, 10:06 PM |#44487  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 5,108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagtard

Hello, and thank you for your time...

I have been looking and looking for some sort of technical explanation and overview of the rooting process from complete scratch. With all of the root guides and tutorials flooding the internet, I have had no luck with finding anything. The more technically heavy the better. I am trying to establish a strong foundation in the understanding of this process. I apologize if this request comes across as lazy, but f*ck I am so frustrated and burned out trying to find some materials on the subject. And to be honest, I am not even well enough versed to search out specific terms which would weed out all of these root guides and one-click method crap.

Thank you in advanced.

EDIT: I have no idea what I am doing. But that's okay. Gotta start somewhere. Just clarifying.

It would be a good start to mention what device you are trying to root. There is one universal method, but it doesn't work with every manufacturer or model.
The basics are: unlock your bootloader, get TWRP for your device either on your PC to use "fastboot boot TWRP" to run it, or installed directly onto your device, then flashing the latest magisk.zip through TWRP
The Following User Says Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xunholyx Ad-Free
15th January 2020, 10:15 PM |#44488  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

It would be a good start to mention what device you are trying to root. There is one universal method, but it doesn't work with every manufacturer or model.
The basics are: unlock your bootloader, get TWRP for your device either on your PC to use "fastboot boot TWRP" to run it, or installed directly onto your device, then flashing the latest magisk.zip through TWRP

No specific device. I just want to start hacking away at these things for what I feel are obvious reasons, as well as entertainment. Thank you for your valuable input. What I'm taking away from this is that I need to study up on Android's bootloader. Cool.

EDIT: Does this all fall under the embedded umbrella? Like, wouldn't that be what I should be pursuing? The understanding of embedded Linux programming and systems?
15th January 2020, 10:47 PM |#44489  
Quote:

No specific device. I just want to start hacking away at these things for what I feel are obvious reasons, as well as entertainment. Thank you for your valuable input. What I'm taking away from this is that I need to study up on Android's bootloader. Cool.

EDIT: Does this all fall under the embedded umbrella? Like, wouldn't that be what I should be pursuing? The understanding of embedded Linux programming and systems?

What you are looking for does not exist. There is no such thing as a general "this is how it works for android". There is only "this is how it works" on "this" device or "that" device.

If you are asking the how/what/when/where/why of rooting, there is no general answer to that either other than to say that rooting works by finding an exploit in your bootloader and/or kernel that allows injecting superuser binaries in order to gain root. These exploits are different depending on the device and the stock firmware version.

When using TWRP, these bootloader/kernel exploits don't necessarily have an impact other than requiring the bootloader to be unlocked in order to allow the modifications to flash/boot. You can not do anything that the bootloader or kernel won't allow to run on the device.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
15th January 2020, 10:49 PM |#44490  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 5,108

More
Quote:

Like I said, it really depends on the device. Most devices that are rootable have a bootloader, and the first step to rooting is unlocking that bootloader. After the bootloader is unlocked you would flash Magisk with your device's version of TWRP. Samsung is different. No "boootloader" per se. You need to use ODIN instead of Google's Android SDK (actually the Platform Tools from the SDK ~ you can download them direct from google now). Low end budget phones almost never have a bootloader unlock or a TWRP version. Most people owning these devices seem to unlock via one click rooting methods. Those are methods I'd NEVER suggest to someone who can root otherwise, but apparently there are devices that there is no alternative for. Personally, I'm not familiar with those devices and can not offer help with them because of my limited knowledge.
15th January 2020, 10:59 PM |#44491  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,188

More
Quote:

It is can be VERY device specific.

Quote:

I could be wrong, but the bootloader is not Linux, it is the interface to the physical hardware.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)