[Q] How do I unlock bootloader HTC J Butterfly (HTL21) post OTA 1.29.970.1?

Search This thread

fn_noobee

Mar 5, 2012
Hello, all.

I am currently stationed overseas in Japan and on au KDDI service and had purchased the HTL21 HTC J Butterfly.

I unlocked bootloader on my first device using SharpIS method of changing SuperCID (22222222) and getting unlock_code.bin from HTC Dev site on stock firmware phone shipped with (1.15 version I believe). Was rooted and running stock. Phone hard bricked about a week after SuperCID process was done and I wasn't fiddling with anything after I rooted phone, so I don't think it bricked from this.

au kindly traded my hard bricked phone for a brand new replacement (yay!). I was hesitant to root this one due to the last one hard bricking and possibly being detected when sent to HTC for repairs. I saw there was a software update and I... STUPIDLY... updated to the latest firmware thinking it would be easier to root after the update rather than go through the process of flashing stock recovery and flashing then losing root. I've had an HTC device before that I'd unlocked and S-OFF so I know how much of a pain it can be.

Now after 1.29.970.1 OTA, I got the itch to tinker again and I no longer can do temproot method to rewrite SuperCID using goroh kun root tools and SharpIS rewrite method. I type adb shell command and I get $, but when I do dev/sh command it says "device not found" and no # (which I know is root access). This is similar to what Droid DNA (sister device) on Verizon are dealing with on their new updates or ones that shipped with latest firmware.

My question is: Is there some other way to get temproot and another root exploit that would allow me to rewrite the CID to SuperCID (22222222 or whatever number if HTC blocked that one too) so I can unlock bootloader?

fnoji111, SharpIS, and goroh kun have come up with some previous exploits that have been patched in this OTA. I have read some poorly Google-translated tutorials on HTCsoku on how to downgrade where fnoji111 states he had luck downgrading and RUU to previous version but I have had no luck (still get main version lower failure message). I have also searched but have found no other exploits other than the one SharpIS posted in the developer forums which is no longer valid due to 1111111 SuperCID being blocked on HTCDev and now temproot no longer allows access to full administrator write permissions using the rootkit. I am not a developer but I have done this process before with this device and an HTC Evo 3D many times and I can follow a clear instruction. Please help!

For the record I am:
S-ON
Bootloader locked
Software version 1.29.970.1
Hboot version 1.41.0000
Radio 1.01.10.0201 (probably irrelevant)

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

alesul

Account currently disabled
Nov 5, 2010
GB
help

Totally same problem..
Could anyone help?

we are hoplles so we must sale the device ......
nobody nows more than that on internet...I feel like I have an Iphone neverloked and I must wait a year for a jailbreak!
where is the frredom of android?:crying:

daorderdillon

Jul 27, 2012
nassau
Hello, all.

I am currently stationed overseas in Japan and on au KDDI service and had purchased the HTL21 HTC J Butterfly.

I unlocked bootloader on my first device using SharpIS method of changing SuperCID (22222222) and getting unlock_code.bin from HTC Dev site on stock firmware phone shipped with (1.15 version I believe). Was rooted and running stock. Phone hard bricked about a week after SuperCID process was done and I wasn't fiddling with anything after I rooted phone, so I don't think it bricked from this.

au kindly traded my hard bricked phone for a brand new replacement (yay!). I was hesitant to root this one due to the last one hard bricking and possibly being detected when sent to HTC for repairs. I saw there was a software update and I... STUPIDLY... updated to the latest firmware thinking it would be easier to root after the update rather than go through the process of flashing stock recovery and flashing then losing root. I've had an HTC device before that I'd unlocked and S-OFF so I know how much of a pain it can be.

Now after 1.29.970.1 OTA, I got the itch to tinker again and I no longer can do temproot method to rewrite SuperCID using goroh kun root tools and SharpIS rewrite method. I type adb shell command and I get $, but when I do dev/sh command it says "device not found" and no # (which I know is root access). This is similar to what Droid DNA (sister device) on Verizon are dealing with on their new updates or ones that shipped with latest firmware.

My question is: Is there some other way to get temproot and another root exploit that would allow me to rewrite the CID to SuperCID (22222222 or whatever number if HTC blocked that one too) so I can unlock bootloader?

fnoji111, SharpIS, and goroh kun have come up with some previous exploits that have been patched in this OTA. I have read some poorly Google-translated tutorials on HTCsoku on how to downgrade where fnoji111 states he had luck downgrading and RUU to previous version but I have had no luck (still get main version lower failure message). I have also searched but have found no other exploits other than the one SharpIS posted in the developer forums which is no longer valid due to 1111111 SuperCID being blocked on HTCDev and now temproot no longer allows access to full administrator write permissions using the rootkit. I am not a developer but I have done this process before with this device and an HTC Evo 3D many times and I can follow a clear instruction. Please help!

For the record I am:
S-ON
Bootloader locked
Software version 1.29.970.1
Hboot version 1.41.0000
Radio 1.01.10.0201 (probably irrelevant)

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069754

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda premium

alesul

Nov 5, 2010
GB
hoplless

we talk about htc j buterfly htl 21 japan version with new hboot 1.41 new bootloader,and new ota firmware update 1.29.701.1,S ON and locked!
we can have have temproot,no unlock,we can change baseband radio with x920d t\o have free sim and another custom rom for that baseband of x920d!

fn_noobee

Mar 5, 2012

alesul

Nov 5, 2010
GB
some HOPE?

something new on this site!
maybe some luck? is the same procedure....another kind of s off method,and new stuff from vietnamese people!
in some pictures description we have 1.41 hboot?????
this is the link:
http://bbs.gfan.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=6213418&extra=page=1&page=1

and this is the download stuff link:
http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=428337&uk=3154495244

But I think will have $ errors device when I start the first step adb install diaggetroot.apk.........
no hope!

Attachments

• 095513hbehy2hk6kcv2tdh.jpg.thumb.jpg
    095513hbehy2hk6kcv2tdh.jpg.thumb.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
May 17, 2013
Thanks to all for the answers and for the effort to find a solution. In the final what we gonna do with this j butterfly ? It's so bad to have such a grate phone (the best in the market for my opinion) and not to be able to use it....

alesul

Nov 5, 2010
GB
:((

Thanks to all for the answers and for the effort to find a solution. In the final what we gonna do with this j butterfly ? It's so bad to have such a grate phone (the best in the market for my opinion) and not to be able to use it....
Sale or wait...I buyt with 200euro without any charger cable or headphones!

May 17, 2013
What was the full price in JAPAN in euro?
simple whithout charger and accesories?
I think for 3-4 months nothing!

If I well remember around 540 euros. You mean for other 3-4 mounts we will not have any way to use it? so sad..... It's really better to buy another phone

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

What was the full price in JAPAN in euro?
simple whithout charger and accesories?
I think for 3-4 months nothing!

The price is without any accessories as au sell it

May 17, 2013
There is some way to use the unlock code that many site sell in the web?
If you put another sim card my butterfly do not ask me any unlock code. There is a way to insert it?

alesul

Nov 5, 2010
GB
There is some way to use the unlock code that many site sell in the web?
If you put another sim card my butterfly do not ask me any unlock code. There is a way to insert it?

Not work with unlock code.... To unlock must be reflashed the radiobaseband... I DON'T kknow-how if with xsim or turbosim it is posibile!

May 17, 2013
I have no idea if we have some hope to use this phone or of is better to switch directly to anoher one.... taking in account that au introduced already htc one with 13 ultrapixel camera that maybe means less interest for butterfly and less people that gonna work on it...._