FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[INFO][HOWTO][ROOT] Motochopper by Dan Rosenberg

3,991 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,793

By k0nane, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2013, 01:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Note: The UVUAMDL update includes Samsung's silly root-restricting kernel. You'll need to downgrade it or use a custom one to avoid that.

All you need to know, folks. To get the dev options menu, and enable USB Debugging, tap the build number in About Phone until it tells you it's been enabled. You'll need the drivers. Unlike on AT&T devices, we do have a return to stock option, though it is not "virgin" as a Samsung-sourced TAR would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrbliss

A recent root exploit I published for Motorola devices, Motochopper, should do the trick for rooting the Qualcomm-based variants of the Samsung Galaxy S4, including the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile branded models.

Download the exploit here:
http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
  2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
  3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
  4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
  5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
  6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

Warning:
At this point, since there are no custom recoveries or stock images available, it may not be possible to repair your device should you accidentally break it. Please be aware of this before performing any modifications to your phone.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Paypal:
http://goo.gl/zBGb0

Motochopper is the work of Dan Rosenberg, @djrbliss. If you wish to donate, use the "Paypal" link above, as that leads to him. Do not donate to me for this package.

Do not PM Dan (or me for that matter) for any reason whatsoever. Any Q&A about Motochopper and acheiving root should be posted here or in the Q&A section.
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to k0nane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k0nane Ad-Free

1st May 2013, 01:15 AM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag 127.0.0.1

More
P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D

Original artwork by Pendulum via Gasolin3.

...for future use.

Follow me on Twitter @k0nane and @publik0!
Join the OUDHS and I on IRC at irc.freenode.net #oudhitsquad, or via the webchat link in my signature.
1st May 2013, 02:31 AM |#3  
Flag Miami, FL, USA
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Thumbs up
It worked perfectly! Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to pilot_xphile For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pilot_xphile Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 02:32 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
My run.bat stops at * daemon started successfully *.

usb debugging is enabled and galaxy s 4 drivers are installed.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Nevermind. I've downloaded the Galaxy S 4G drivers. However I can't find the S4 drivers for my T-Mobile version on samsung's website. Does anyone have direct link?
1st May 2013, 03:00 AM |#5  
Flag 127.0.0.1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankerer

Nevermind. I've downloaded the Galaxy S 4G drivers. However I can't find the S4 drivers for my T-Mobile version on samsung's website. Does anyone have direct link?

Use the drivers linked in the OP.
1st May 2013, 03:23 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nane

Use the drivers linked in the OP.

Odd, it's still not working. It's stuck on the * daemon started successfully *

Edit: I figured it out. I actually have to use the usb cable that came with the phone.. I would've thought any micro USB cable would've worked...
1st May 2013, 03:45 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2,406

More
Thumbs up Nice
Good guide...
1st May 2013, 04:02 AM |#8  

More
Worked on my device, thanks!
1st May 2013, 04:30 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 676

More
Hi..I just needed some clarification on something before i try to root..
I bought my phone doing the payment method from tmo and have read that my phone isnt unlocked till i pay it off and get a unlock code...Is this correct or can i use this tool with no issue? Thnx....Just trying to avoid a un-needed mistake...
1st May 2013, 04:38 AM |#10  
Flag 127.0.0.1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBERG117

I bought my phone doing the payment method from tmo and have read that my phone isnt unlocked till i pay it off and get a unlock code...

Root and SIM unlock are two very different things. This gives you root.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to k0nane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k0nane Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 04:41 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 676

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nane

Root and SIM unlock are two very different things. This gives you root.

Ty for the quick response ... As I stated I just wanted to make sure i was ok to go...Again Thnx for clearing that up...

Edit - That was the simplest way i ever rooted a phone...Thnx to everyone involved in getting this done so fast.....Looking forward to all the goodies to come....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)