FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,187 Vote(s)
59.17%
Yes, kind of.

474 Vote(s)
23.63%
No, needs improvement.

345 Vote(s)
17.20%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,732 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,855

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th January 2020, 02:15 AM |#30121  
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeanu

Is there a way to use a custom image instead of blurry preview of background in recent apps view ?

preview

It would require decompiling, editing, then recompiling and instling at least one of your system apps. Not an easy task for the uninitiated.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
14th January 2020, 02:47 AM |#30122  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,688

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AComplete Beginner

So, I recently deleted photos from my Moto E4 that I did not think I would need. Using diskdigger, I was able to retrieve the photos (and a few videos), but I could only view the thumbnail of said photos, and the results were very pixelated, obviously. In order to get the full capacity of my photos, diskdigger required that I root my phone. I would prefer not having to do this. Is there another way around this? I am currently unable to afford any sort of purchase, and I am even unable to perform a free trial of any sort. Furthermore, if there be no way to circumvent without rooting my phone (which I understand is risky), would someone direct me to a complete guide to rooting my phone, a Moto E4? I have researched this whole afternoon in an attempt to find a reliable way, but I do not want to do something brash without consulting people who are smarter than me first. As a final note, due to the somewhat sensitive nature of the photos, I do not want to ask someone whom I know personally for assistance.

I know this is alot of perameters and contingencies, but I trust that some of you will know what to do.

A couple of questions;

Is your bootloader unlocked?

Are you under the impression that there is a cost to root, or are you referring to a pay-to-recover service?

What is the model number of your device?

If your bootloader has never been unlocked, then rooting is not an option. First you would have to unlock and that will fully wipe the device.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
14th January 2020, 03:48 AM |#30123  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

A couple of questions;

Is your bootloader unlocked?

Are you under the impression that there is a cost to root, or are you referring to a pay-to-recover service?

What is the model number of your device?

If your bootloader has never been unlocked, then rooting is not an option. First you would have to unlock and that will fully wipe the device.

a) No. At the time that I deleted files that I did not know that I would need later, I did not know that I would need to root the phone later and need an unlocked bootloader.

b) I had seen some photo recovery software that required that I spend a few hundred dollars to perform the scan.

c) The model number is a Moto E4, if I understand your question correctly.
14th January 2020, 05:19 AM |#30124  
Thanks Meter: 1,848

More
@AComplete Beginner ,
i believe what ktmom needs is located in settings > about phone > model #. i.e. XT1670 , XT1671 , etc. (or whatever the model of Moto E4 you have).

i337M-powered by audit13
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
14th January 2020, 05:28 AM |#30125  
Forum Moderator

More
@AComplete Beginner,

@mrrocketdog (whatever does that mean ) is right about the model number.

The idea I have is to find, or make, an insecure boot.img that can be used to allow you to pull the raw data from your internal storage (user data partition). Then you could try photorec to recover the image(s).

If you are actively using the phone, the odds of recovering go down since there is write activity on that partition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
14th January 2020, 06:15 AM |#30126  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrocketdog

@AComplete Beginner ,
i believe what ktmom needs is located in settings > about phone > model #. i.e. XT1670 , XT1671 , etc. (or whatever the model of Moto E4 you have).

Oh, okay! I have a Moto E4 model XT1765.

i337M-powered by audit13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

@AComplete Beginner,

@mrrocketdog (whatever does that mean ) is right about the model number.

The idea I have is to find, or make, an insecure boot.img that can be used to allow you to pull the raw data from your internal storage (user data partition). Then you could try photorec to recover the image(s).

If you are actively using the phone, the odds of recovering go down since there is write activity on that partition.

I am not actively using the phone as I recently upgraded. I know the photos are still there because I can use diskdigger to grab the thumbnails of the photos, but it requires me to use a rooted Android to retrieve the full quality photos. The thumbnail photos are only a few KB and very poor quality.

1) How do I make an insecure boot.img? I apologise for my complete noobishness.
2) How should I attempt a photo rec thereafter, and what should I use to do that?
14th January 2020, 10:25 AM |#30127  
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Hi, guys.
Is there any way to back up an app which has split apk ?
I tried with TB, it successfully back up the app but always failed on restoring
14th January 2020, 03:13 PM |#30128  
Forum Moderator

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zputnyq

Hi, guys.
Is there any way to back up an app which has split apk ?
I tried with TB, it successfully back up the app but always failed on restoring

Give Split APKs installer a try. I don't have first hand experience with it though.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
14th January 2020, 05:55 PM |#30129  
Forum Moderator

More
Quote:

I am not actively using the phone as I recently upgraded. I know the photos are still there because I can use diskdigger to grab the thumbnails of the photos, but it requires me to use a rooted Android to retrieve the full quality photos. The thumbnail photos are only a few KB and very poor quality.

2) How should I attempt a photo rec thereafter, and what should I use to do that?

Ok, since your bootloader is locked, an insecure boot.img won't help either. Your bootloader will not allow booting up it, even through fastboot which is how it would be done. Temporarily booting instead of installing.

Photorec is a program that is very good at retrieving images.

You're rather struck as you must have access to the user data partition, but without root, you can not get access to the user data partition.
14th January 2020, 10:29 PM |#30130  
Quote:

Those thumbnails are probably in cache, recovering those does not necessarily mean that the actual pictures can/will be recovered because the thumbnail can be present in cache while the actual picture is not actually present in your data partition, as in, completely gone, including the remnants that "should" be left behind after deleting. Those remnants "could" no longer be there if other data has been overwritten where the pictures were stored or if the data partition has been wiped/formatted. Android has a narrow window to recover deleted data, it isn't as readily recovered as it is when recovering data from a drive on your PC.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
15th January 2020, 03:09 AM |#30131  

More
Need to know if my note 8 has been rooted. Here is my phone info . Android 9 / Pie / API 28
Baseband Version: N950USQS7DSK6
Build Number: PPR1.180610.011.N950USQS7DSK6
Linux Kernel Version: 4.4.153-17146873
Http User Agent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 9; SM-N950U Build/PPR1.180610.011)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)