[fix]fix for smearing issue [updated 19/7/2013]

12,295 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,088

Post Reply Email Thread
Update: 6/5/2013
* replaced method 1 with new method
Update: 19/7/2013
* added new hardware level fix for 9500 users

As of now we all know that almost all s4 units is suffering from smearing issue. After fiddling with some apps here and there I found a temporary solution , this should be handy until Samsung fixes it.

I suggest two method for this issue, Method 1 adjusts the rgb values of the screen(overlays) .Method 2 adjusts the contrast levels of the screen.
With both the above mentioned methods the black levels are not pitch black but will be on par with the blacks of s3 or anyother amoled screens. I prefer method 1, if you guys face any problems with method 1 then you can try method 2.

Method 1:

1.install screen adjuster app from market.
2.Set the values of green, blue, red between 5 to10(I prefer 5) and turn on the filter
3.job done

Method 2:

1.install screen adjuster app from market.
2.change the contrast level from -0 to -10(you can go upto -20 depending on how far your eyes can balance between smearing and pitch black)
3.turn on the adjuster.
4.job done

Method 3: (HARDWARE LEVEL FIX ONLY FOR 9500 USERS)
This method fixes the smearing at hardware level and changes contrast level of black backgrounds without touching other colors and dosent drains battery like screen adjuster. Thankst to @AndreiLux and @Slimmer77 for their contribution on screen calibration for 9500

Original post by @AndreiLux
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux

One is software and causes battery drain and applies to all colours if you want it or not, and the other is hardware, costs nothing and targets only black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux

I doubt he does.

echo 4 > /sys/class/misc/mdnie/hook_control/scr_black_red
echo 4 > /sys/class/misc/mdnie/hook_control/scr_black_green
echo 4 > /sys/class/misc/mdnie/hook_control/scr_black_blue

Will give a 1.56% grey on blacks and removes all smearing. You need to set digital brightness reduction to 0 though since I didn't plan for this use-case and it negates the above "fix".

1.Install a custom kernel that supports screen calibration.
2.goto screen tab
*enable register hook
*set digital brightness reduction to 0.
3.Flash the attached zip file
4.job done

Users who hate the non black background(especially it looks poor when used along with smearing fix) introduced by samsung on newer roms can flash teh blac background mod attached in this post

Note: Running screen adjuster on background will disable the "install" button while installing apps manually, so disable screen adjuster before you start installing something and resume using screen filter after the installation is over
Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Files
File Type: zip smearing fix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (139.9 KB, 643 views)
File Type: zip black background mod.zip - [Click for QR Code] (509.3 KB, 491 views)
The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to bala_gamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bala_gamer Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 07:27 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Thanks!

Do you mean the app Filter Your Screen?
1st May 2013, 07:38 PM |#3  
Flag in your fantasy...
Thanks Meter: 160

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer

1.install screen filter app from market.

Thanks for the great information....

You could however also post the URL og full name of the correct app as there is multible alternatives to choose from..
1st May 2013, 07:40 PM |#4  
Flag Poland, Sosnowiec
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi.
How exactly the name this aplication.
In market is over dozen aplications.

Regards
1st May 2013, 07:46 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Madurai-Chennai
Thanks Meter: 7,088

Donate to Me
More
Oops it's screen adjuster guys.

Added link to op

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to bala_gamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bala_gamer Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 08:03 PM |#6  
Flag in your fantasy...
Thanks Meter: 160

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer

Oops it's screen adjuster guys.

Added link to op

n00b....

HAHHAHAH....

THANK YOU <3
The Following User Says Thank You to αкαѕнα For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift αкαѕнα Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 10:00 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
How do you mean by smearing?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
1st May 2013, 10:25 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Thid is screen smearing my video and the fix
http://youtu.be/qgxZfT0yXyY

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MopHeadGeek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MopHeadGeek Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 11:14 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Does this mean it is software issue Samsung will fix? I have the pink tint on a solid black background I assume this is what method 1 fixes?

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app
2nd May 2013, 12:15 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat07

Does this mean it is software issue Samsung will fix? I have the pink tint on a solid black background I assume this is what method 1 fixes?

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

Personally, if you can fix or at least hide the issue with the above then at the very worst Samsung may change some settings in later roms to the same effect. I am hoping that it is actually a driver issue and a proper fix will come along....

This is an assumption but as the above works then I cannot see it being a hardware issue but then I am no expert.....
2nd May 2013, 05:00 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Won't this affect battery life? It seems to negate the power saving effect of AMOLED. I believe the smearing comes from the pixels going from off (black) to on (grey) and that switch time not happening fast enough. This app and workaround does definitely work, but it seems that it works because it's changing everything from black to veryyy very dark grey (still looks pretty black to me) however that means that the pixels aren't off if they're displaying grey instead of black right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to play2lose For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift play2lose Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)