FORUMS

[Video Guide] How To Unlock Bootloader & Root - USER FRIENDLY

670 posts
Thanks Meter: 630

By TheSmokingAndroid, Senior Member on 2nd May 2013, 04:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey folks, i know that for some, unlocking bootloaders and rooting for the first time can be a bit overwhelming, so i put together a video, walking you through step by step. I hope this helps at least 1 of you

The toolkit in this video guide was developed by hasson2000, so big props and thanks go out to him! You can find his toolkit here

To the moderators. hasson2000 has asked that folks request his permission to use his work in posts ect.. So i did ask, but he never responded... So since this is doing no harm and only helping people, i assume you won't mind this posted here If you do want to take it down, i won't fight you on it.

If you folks have any questions, i strongly recommend you go to hasson2000s toolkit thread, linked above, and ask there.

Cheers
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to TheSmokingAndroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheSmokingAndroid Ad-Free
4th May 2013, 07:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Very Helpful
4th May 2013, 04:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
I'm still stuck on waiting for device.
I was going in that Tool thread but I'm not allowed to post there yet.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
4th May 2013, 11:20 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Nice. Thanks much!!
5th May 2013, 01:17 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you so much for the vid, I used it to unlock my bootloader and also installed TWRP... It worked a treat

My issue is that I want to flash the 1.29 OTA onto my EE-branded 4G HTC One. I've downloaded this version: OTA_M7_UL_JB_50_HTC_Europe_1.29.401.12-1.28.401.7_release_315849_signedp7vl8dqsvls0h1t0.z ip from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2207874. I have attempted to Flash my own recovery, but am unsure as to which .img file to use and also which option in the bootloader to select. I've searched all throughout these forums, but to no avail

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
8th May 2013, 10:21 PM |#6  

More
any one have any alternative link to the all in one toolkit by hasoon looks like the link is broken?
8th May 2013, 10:39 PM |#7  
Flag Milan
Thanks Meter: 2,389

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroh

any one have any alternative link to the all in one toolkit by hasoon looks like the link is broken?

right here
9th May 2013, 06:28 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Thanks, this worked like a charm!
This is my first Android phone and reading all of this did seem scary, but watching the video and doing it myself.. pretty easy!
12th May 2013, 04:12 AM |#9  
Flag Boulder, CO
Thanks Meter: 101

More
So, there is no way to root this device without unlocking it first? I've also read that after you unlock, you loose some apps & obviously OTA updates......4.2.2 is rumored to be out for this device any time now. Is there anyway to preserve those apps, possibly update phone (even manually) or just root without unlocking?
12th May 2013, 12:17 PM |#10  
Flag Milan
Thanks Meter: 2,389

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by P05TMAN

So, there is no way to root this device without unlocking it first? I've also read that after you unlock, you loose some apps & obviously OTA updates......4.2.2 is rumored to be out for this device any time now. Is there anyway to preserve those apps, possibly update phone (even manually) or just root without unlocking?

you won't loose any apps if you unlock, you will lose all of your files though... and you can still receive OTAs is you are unlocked, you just need to have the stock rom and a stock recovery...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matt95 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matt95 Ad-Free
12th May 2013, 11:25 PM |#11  
Flag New Brunswick, NJ

More
Thumbs up Success (relatively painless)
I'd like to add my success story as a hopeful note for other noobs who are sweating it.

I'm a complete noob with recovery and rooting. Luckily I had the distinct advantage of skipping the whole bootloader unlocking sequence, thanks to having the Developer Edition whose bootloader comes unlocked. (I wasn't sure if I should use Hasoon2000's T-Mobile kit, since I'm using a T-mo SIM, or if I should use his generic HTC One M7 kit, so I chose the latter and luckily it was a good choice.)

I studied this video tutorial by TheSmokingAndroid, took notes, watched it again, said a little prayer to the green guy in the sky, watched some more tutorials, read some tutorials, read 50 pages of xda forums, panicked, de-panicked, steeled myself, then watched the video again. Then I dove in.

While not every step had the exact results that TheSmokingAndroid depicted in his video (combination of user error by me and the HTC One apparently being somewhat finicky), while not every step was an exact match, a little persistence and staying calm resulted in full root in about 1/2 an hour once I actually got started, and no major calamities.

So thanks TheSmokingAndroid and thanks Hasoon2000!
(If you're a noob, consider making a small donation like I did to keep these guys going.)
Happy rooting.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)