FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][Concept] Cydia for Android

5,727 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,843

By AshtonTS, Senior Member on 3rd May 2013, 10:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
All you guys who want to see this a reality, submit this tread as a news tip on xda, share it on twitter and g+ (if you would like tag known developers), and do whatever else to get publicity. If we hit the front page of XDA, I'm sure we can get this project off the ground.

I know this idea has been tossed around before, but I want to revive it. Most people believe there is no need for a Cydia store for android. Google doesn't limit apps the same way as Apple does in their respective app stores. But with the recent removal of ad-blocking software from the Play Store, it's got me thinking that maybe a Cydia-like store for android isn't so far fetched.

The Android developer community is much larger and more diverse than the iOS developer community. A Cydia-like store for android could encompass so much more development than is even possible on iOS. Think Kernels, ROMs, and init.d scripts.

I present:

Cydia for Android!

This is just an early concept, not an actual app or working demo.

Obviously, the Cydia name cannot be kept, unless it can be licensed from Jay Freeman (Saurik). But it wouldn't be hard to come up with a different name. I did, however, make the icon from scratch, so I won't need to change that.

The Cydia Store for Android could be a central, unified place for developers to store their creations. Right now we have a whole host of sites (goo.im, Get.CM, etc) and several alternate stores (amazon app store, slideme) and of course the XDA, Rootzwiki, and several other forums. Instead of developers having to have their apps and mods and roms on all of the stores and sites and forums for maximum exposure, wouldn't it be great to have just one place for developers to gain recognition?

The Cydia Store for Android would be a perfect place for developers to have their Kernels, Roms, Themes, Recoverys, GApps packages (including modded ones), Mods and Scripts (e.g. v6 supercharger, System mods, init.d scripts), as well as a place for Root apps (E.G. Helium, Root explorer, Greenify) as well as banned apps (obviously not trojans) such as the ad-blockers that recently got pulled from Google Play.

Let me know how you guys feel about this. I don't have enough experience to make a project like this, but I can try to get in contact with developers like Koush Dutta or someone else who knows what's up.

Thanks guys!
The Following 155 Users Say Thank You to AshtonTS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AshtonTS Ad-Free
3rd May 2013, 10:37 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 285

More
This is actually a really great idea; I'm not sure about hosting full ROMs but the rest seems completely doable. I'd love to see one unified store with just root apps, mods etc and I think most people who have rooted their devices would too. Definitely get in touch with some devs to try and make this happen

Sent from my CM10.1 Nexus 4
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom540 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tom540 Ad-Free
3rd May 2013, 11:03 PM |#3  
Flag Bolton
Thanks Meter: 82

More
This seems wicked. Can't wait for the full release.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mubz_C For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mubz_C Ad-Free
3rd May 2013, 11:14 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 164

More
This is a very great idea but on android it will be hard to make a mod universal for all phones and all roms but (yes again^^) there is app like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....experiencepro which work with a lot of phones so why not

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 4 avec Tapatalk
3rd May 2013, 11:43 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, CT
Thanks Meter: 2,843

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokh

This is a very great idea but on android it will be hard to make a mod universal for all phones and all roms but (yes again^^) there is app like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....experiencepro which work with a lot of phones so why not

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 4 avec Tapatalk

There are apps in Google play that only work on specific devices. The cydia store will just have a device identifier and only show the mods for your device, just like in Google Play

Sent from my Nexus 4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AshtonTS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AshtonTS Ad-Free
4th May 2013, 12:22 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
The concept looks amazing!
I would love it for this to be a reality
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fakudolan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fakudolan Ad-Free
4th May 2013, 12:39 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 281

Donate to Me
More
I love that icon O.O

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to randomnoob83 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift randomnoob83 Ad-Free
4th May 2013, 12:47 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
I think it's an awesome idea. Would love to have it!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyanogendroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cyanogendroid Ad-Free
4th May 2013, 01:05 AM |#9  
Flag Thessaloníki, Greece
Thanks Meter: 2,750

Donate to Me
More
Thats a THINK missing from android community...we have a bigger dev community but thinks are spread to whole xda and other forums...an app that unified them could be great!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pikachukaki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pikachukaki Ad-Free
4th May 2013, 03:02 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Awesome idea..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
4th May 2013, 03:10 AM |#11  
Account currently disabled
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,945

More
Good luck but if you host any Gapps you will most likely get a C&D order from google. Not to mention a bunch of copyright issues. Cant really host any OEM based roms due to copyright infringment issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)