FORUMS

Convert External SD to Internal SD Android (Specially For Low Budget Devices)

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 70

Post Reply Email Thread
After installing a couple of games and apps, Android tells you that you are out of storage space. So you head on to ebay and buy the largest sd card your credit card can buy. You slap in your brand new sd card and head on to install more apps, only to find out you still have no storage space left despite moving apps to sd card.

What is The Problem?
Android tablets in general, has a different directory structure compared to Android phones. Mine has 504MB for apps (in system), 2.08Gb Internal storage (sdcard), and mounts external sd cards as (extsd). By default, external sd cards (extsd) are only used for media storage. Unfortunately, apps only recognizes sdcard, so your media files will still need to be transferred to internal storage for it to be played. What's the point?

This Is A HACK
This hack will swap the position of the internal sd card to the external one you bought earlier.

First You Need To Root Your Device.
Read My Post To Root Your Device In Minutes http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post41020487

What Will You Need
  • A Rooted Device
  • Root Explorer (Attached Below)

Instruction
  • Install Root Explorer.
  • Grant SuperUser Access to Root Explorer (When Asked).
  • Locate '/etc' in Root Explorer.
  • Click On 'Mount R/W'.
  • Hold 'vold.fstab' And Select Edit in Text Editor.

And Convert
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nand1
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
TO
dev_mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nand1
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
Save it. (Don't Worry The Original File will be there named 'vold.fstab.bak')

Restart Your Device

Check Weather You Can Move Aps to External Storage.

If Not..??

Then Again Open 'vold.fstab' in Text Editor

And Convert
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.1/devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
TO
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.1/devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
And Restart Your Device

Tested Devices
  • BSNL Penta
  • T-Pad IS709C
  • T-Pad IS701C
  • T-Pad IS703C
  • T-Pad IS801C
  • T-Pad WS802C-2G
  • T-Pad WS802C-3G
  • T-Pad WS703C-2G
  • T-Pad WS704C-3G
  • T-Pad WS707C-EDGE
  • T-Pad WS708C-2G
  • Micromax
  • Micromax Funbook Talk P362
  • Micromax Funbook 3G P560
  • Micromax Funbook Talk P360
  • Micromax Funbook 3G P600
  • Micromax Funbook P300
  • UbiSlate
  • UbiSlate 7R Plus
  • UbiSlate 7C Plus Edge
Still Facing Problem..??
Contact Me On Facebook At https://www.facebook.com/DaNish.AnSari.1994

PLEASE QUOTE FOR FURTHER INFO.
Attached Files
File Type: apk Root Explorer.apk - [Click for QR Code] (407.5 KB, 10893 views)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to danish1994 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danish1994 Ad-Free
14th September 2013, 12:00 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
will it work for mobile phones
pllzzz reply ,will it work for mobil phones
14th September 2013, 12:49 PM |#3  
Flag Sydney

More
Hey, nice tutorial, but does this also work with Sony Xperia devices or just android phones in general?
21st September 2013, 02:19 PM |#4  

More
Need Help
Hi , please find the attached screen shot of Vold file from root explorer as you asked. Kindly advise me if i need to delet all this and type what yoy have mentioned or what do i need to change .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-21-17-39-57.jpg
Views:	3318
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2272600  
6th November 2013, 05:52 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Novice at Rooting
Thanks for the hack. I am trying to root my Visual Land Connect 4. I got everything to work except I can't find /etc on my root checker. Where should I be if not in here?
The Following User Says Thank You to mmixdupp2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mmixdupp2 Ad-Free
11th December 2013, 04:01 AM |#6  
Haldwani
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by danish1994

After installing a couple of games and apps, Android tells you that you are out of storage space. So you head on to ebay and buy the largest sd card your credit card can buy. You slap in your brand new sd card and head on to install more apps, only to find out you still have no storage space left despite moving apps to sd card.

What is The Problem?
Android tablets in general, has a different directory structure compared to Android phones. Mine has 504MB for apps (in system), 2.08Gb Internal storage (sdcard), and mounts external sd cards as (extsd). By default, external sd cards (extsd) are only used for media storage. Unfortunately, apps only recognizes sdcard, so your media files will still need to be transferred to internal storage for it to be played. What's the point?

This Is A HACK
This hack will swap the position of the internal sd card to the external one you bought earlier.

First You Need To Root Your Device.
Read My Post To Root Your Device In Minutes http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post41020487

What Will You Need
  • A Rooted Device
  • Root Explorer (Attached Below)

Instruction
  • Install Root Explorer.
  • Grant SuperUser Access to Root Explorer (When Asked).
  • Locate '/etc' in Root Explorer.
  • Click On 'Mount R/W'.
  • Hold 'vold.fstab' And Select Edit in Text Editor.

And Convert
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
TO
dev_mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nand1
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
Save it. (Don't Worry The Original File will be there named 'vold.fstab.bak')

Restart Your Device

Check Weather You Can Move Aps to External Storage.

If Not..??

Then Again Open 'vold.fstab' in Text Editor

And Convert
TO
And Restart Your Device

Tested Devices
  • BSNL Penta
  • T-Pad IS709C
  • T-Pad IS701C
  • T-Pad IS703C
  • T-Pad IS801C
  • T-Pad WS802C-2G
  • T-Pad WS802C-3G
  • T-Pad WS703C-2G
  • T-Pad WS704C-3G
  • T-Pad WS707C-EDGE
  • T-Pad WS708C-2G
  • Micromax
  • Micromax Funbook 3G P560
  • Micromax Funbook Talk P360
  • Micromax Funbook 3G P600
  • Micromax Funbook P300
  • UbiSlate
  • UbiSlate 7R Plus
  • UbiSlate 7C Plus Edge
Still Facing Problem..??
Contact Me On Facebook At /DaNish.AnSari.1994

First of all your work is highly appreciated.
Secondly u mentioned that this process is tested on funbook talk p362. I have it too.
But the adb drivers are nowhere to be found.
You will say turn on USB-DEBUGGING and it will install drivers automatically. but no none of that works...tried with internet connection on. but driver update says no driver found for this device.
I ll be highly thankful to you if you helped me rooting my funbook talk. or provide me the necessary drivers.
and for your information i downloaded a ADB Drivers.rar file....and it installed drivers too....but android sdk does not recognises the adb device.
11th December 2013, 02:40 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoopobo

Hey, nice tutorial, but does this also work with Sony Xperia devices or just android phones in general?

It will work on all ICS nd JB devices, which have an external sd slot...
11th December 2013, 02:44 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi71

Hi , please find the attached screen shot of Vold file from root explorer as you asked. Kindly advise me if i need to delet all this and type what yoy have mentioned or what do i need to change .

just replace flash with sdcard nd vice versa..
11th December 2013, 02:51 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome man

pllzzz reply ,will it work for mobil phones

ya it wil..
its for all devices running on JB nd ICS..
11th December 2013, 02:56 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmixdupp2

Thanks for the hack. I am trying to root my Visual Land Connect 4. I got everything to work except I can't find /etc on my root checker. Where should I be if not in here?

not on root checker. It will be there in root explorer..
you first need to root your device before you can edit that file..
The Following User Says Thank You to danish1994 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danish1994 Ad-Free
11th December 2013, 03:01 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ando dev

First of all your work is highly appreciated.
Secondly u mentioned that this process is tested on funbook talk p362. I have it too.
But the adb drivers are nowhere to be found.
You will say turn on USB-DEBUGGING and it will install drivers automatically. but no none of that works...tried with internet connection on. but driver update says no driver found for this device.
I ll be highly thankful to you if you helped me rooting my funbook talk. or provide me the necessary drivers.
and for your information i downloaded a ADB Drivers.rar file....and it installed drivers too....but android sdk does not recognises the adb device.

if it don't download adb driver itself then you need to download it manually form micromax website..
it that to didn't work, then will upload an app soon which might help you to root your device..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)