FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

IMSI Catcher

92 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By wayandrs, Member on 28th June 2004, 08:54 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
I was reading some interesting stuff about IMSI catchers and their ability to deactivate the encryption on your GSM phone to listen in on your conversations.

Now, considering that these tools are expensive and probably not in the hands of nosy individuals, I'm still curious about this whole deal of a third party device disabling your encryption and conversations being 'out in the open'.

Are there any software tools that display the encryption status of your calls?

Lots of info about IMSI Catchers but most of them are in German... apparently there's more of a fuss about invasion of privacy issues over there.

29th June 2004, 12:52 AM |#2  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 225

Donate to Me
More
Re: IMSI Catcher
if you are concerned with your security, then look at www.cryptophone.de . Currently 2 russian companies are writing their own programs like that.
Getting encryption status is not docummented, I don;t think that there exists such a program.
28th January 2009, 10:41 PM |#3  
Flag New Haven and NYC
Thanks Meter: 6

More
HOwever, according to the Wikipedia page on IMSI-catchers, there are some mobile phones that display an icon when the call is unencrypted. I believe this should be a feature integrated into WM 6.1! Since it is such an old and arguably advanced platform... Maybe someone could write a program that puts an icon in the dialer when the call is unencrypted...perhaps it could also play a warning tone at the start of the call.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread