FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Difference between Dalvik Cache vs Normal Cache

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By onpav, Junior Member on 6th May 2013, 11:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I found same question in Dev forum but can't post as I'm still new. So I ask the same question here:

What is Davik Cache and what is normal Cache?

Are they the same thing or 2 different cache that must be wiped when flashing roms?
6th May 2013, 01:49 PM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Republic of Wadiya
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Normal Cache is any temporary information created or used by an app.

Dalvik Cache is a program cache area for the program dalvik. Dalvik is a java based virtual machine that is the bases for running your programs (the ones that have the .apk extension). In order to make access times faster (because there's not JIT (just in time) compiler installed by default), the dalvik-cache is the result of dalvik doing a optimization of the running program. Sounds confusing. It's similar to the prefetch files in Windows.

When you full wipe the normal cache is being deleted automaticly. Dalvik cache is being deleted manually via any recovery. Under Advanced in CWM.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Admiral General Aladeen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Admiral General Aladeen Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 03:27 PM |#3  
Flag palermo
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thumbs up thanks
thanks
7th May 2013, 11:51 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks, now I understand better. I was wondering where is this Dalvik Cache as I couldn't find the clearing function, so it is only found in custom Recovery mode.

What about my factory default phone? Its stock recovery show up as Android system recovery <3E>, there's a wipe cache partition function. I tried it and all my apps still working ok.
9th May 2013, 12:06 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)