S4 Screen Calibration: Brightness, RGB Balance, Gamut and Viewing Angles

Search This thread

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
We have all seen the side by side web browsing comparisons between the S4 and the HTC One. Because of the screen reviews, which measured brightness at 300cd/m² and higher, we were a bit dubitative.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Well, it turns out the poor results are due to brightness throttling on white or near white content, which will vary depending on the power saving options that are activated. In Chrome and in the Stock Browser, this is further aggravated by the undefeatable activation of the Power Saving mode.

The measurements below were conducted with an i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and a profiled i1 Display Pro (for dark readings).

Maximum Brightness (Adapt Display/Dynamic/Standard Mode)

• Even without any Power Option engaged, white levels on white or near white content will be 15% to 20% below peak brightness (290cd/m² from 355cd/m²)
  • Auto-Tone will clip whites further above 60% Average Picture Level
  • Power Saving reduces brightness by 25%
  • In Chrome and in the stock browser the Power Saving mode is activated as a default (surely in an attempt to fool battery tests into overestimating number of browsing hours on battery) - and cannot be defeated. It is therefore recommended to switch to another browser (e.g. AOSP) for better outdoor viewing.

The graph below outlines the brightness throttling mechanism in Dynamic/Standard/Auto Mode at maximum brighness.

attachment.php

As we can see, web browsing is the activity that will take the most serious hit, seeing as web browsing average picture levels typically falls within the 70% to 90% APL range. Although the throttling is to conserve battery life, this a bit sneaky from Samsung, as this tricks reviewers into overestimating battery life and consumers into believing they have the best of both worlds (brightness and battery life). There is a choice that can and has to be made.

Auto-Brightness (Adapt Display/Dynamic/Standard Mode)
Using auto-brightness instead of maximum brightness will actually enable a boost mode, which will activate under prolonged exposure to extremely bright light (I had to use my HTC One's flash at close range to simulate this).

Summary
  • The boost mode offers a 35% brightness gain, however this gain starts to plummet at around 60% APL, which means that the gain for web browsing and Google Maps will only be 5 to 15%
  • The peak brightness under prolonged sun exposure at 1% APL level is 478cd/m² (displaymate measured this at 475cd/m²). whereas the maximum brightness for pure white ends up at the unboosted level of 383cd/m²
  • Without Boost Mode, the brightness curve in a birghtly lit environment is exactly the same as the maximum brightness captured in my earlier graph.
  • The auto brightness -5/+5 radio button has no impact on the maximum brightness achievable - it will go full throttle if it has to. Only brightness at lower ambient light levels is impacted by this fine-tuning...
  • There is no Power Saving mode override in auto-brightness, and those browsers even benefit from the Boost Mode.
attachment.php

Just to put the graphs into perspective, I am showing the maximum reachable brightness for various Android applications:

Android Menu: 5% APL | Maximum Brightness: 465cd/m²
attachment.php

Android Menu with radio buttons: 10% APL | Maximum Brightness: 455cd/m²
attachment.php

OLED fiendly web site: 15% APL | Maximum Brightness: 445cd/m²
attachment.php

Random Gallery Picture: 40% APL | Maximum Brightness: 410cd/m²
attachment.php

Google Play: 60% APL | Maximum Brightness: 395cd/m²
attachment.php

Anandtech with zoom on picture: 70% APL | Maximum Brightness: 350cd/m²
attachment.php

Google Maps: 75% APL | Maximum Brightness: 320cd/m²
attachment.php

Whatsapp: 80% APL | Maximum Brightness: 305cd/m²
attachment.php

Android Contact List: 85% APL | Maximum Brightness: 295cd/m²
attachment.php

Google Results page: 90% APL | Maximum Brightness: 290cd/m²
attachment.php

Google: 95% APL | Maximum Brightness: 285cd/m²
attachment.php

Greyscale and Color Gamut (Film Mode)

1. RGB balance has a discernible green push above 50% brightness (less exposed in Anantech's review because Brian measures at 50% brightness rather than maximum)
  2. Color Space is oversaturated even in film mode (consistent with Anantech's and Displaymate's findings)
  3. Gamma will also get worse on content that has a high proportion of bright content, with brightness compression happening at the top end of the spectrum. For videos, it is therefore recommended to use 50% of maximum brightness or auto-brightness

White point color Temperature:
  • 6410cd/m² in Film/sRGB Mode - again, this is at maximum brightness, the green dominance will be different at different brightness levels (as can be seen on the curves below)
  • 6940cd/m² in Standard Mode, Dynamic Mode and Auto-Adjust Mode (I personally prefer that color temperature because it is more consistent across the whole scale, so the picture looks more harmonious)

Gamma is improved versus previous iterations but there is still a slight black crush and white crush happening at the extremities (nothing too major). The white crush will not be observed with smaller test patterns but will be worse for bright content! The black crush will be worse with Auto Tone on (to conserve battery, the transition into blacks is quicker).

Color gamut as expected is oversaturated. But what is more surprising is that it is oversaturated even in Film mode, although to a smaller extent. I went back to Brian's review, and this was also what he found. I believe two other reviews had different findings - but I may remember this incorrectly

Measurements in Film Mode

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Color Space (Adapt Screen/Dynamic/Standard Mode)

attachment.php

Viewing Angles (Film Mode)

Summary:
  • Viewed directly, the display exhibits a green push in spite of near perfect color temperature
  • Viewing at an angle reduces green and red and increases blue
  • The most neutral white balances (Delta E of 2.8) can be obtained by viewing the screen at a 15° angle (you can do the test and notice how the green push disappears!)
  • The color temperature at this angle is further away from the 6500K standard than for direct viewing but it is still more neutral (shows the importance of RGB balance)

The following charts shows the RGB balance, correlated color temperature and Delta E for viewing angles of 0° to 40°.

attachment.php

This is an important lesson: sometimes it is preferrable to calibrate at a somewhat higher color temperature to improve the RGB balance (generally a blue push is less perceptible than a green push). However in this case, Samsung's calibration was most certainly to improve the overall brightness of the screen (green has a stronger luminance than red or blue).

Throughts and Recommendation to Devs for Kernel Calibration

Essentially, the adaptative brightness without power saving options is to fool regular gamma testing and make it look flat even though it isn't - again to conserve battery!

Using Average Picture Level patterns, to keep brightness constant across the greyscale, we can clearly see that the gamma is too high (2.4).

By reducing brightness as IRE levels increase, the display conceals the fact that brightness increases too slow across the full IRE spectrium - because the final brightness ends up being lower, regular test patterns will say that brightness at each IRE level is where it should be when in fact it lags behind. It only catches up with target brightness at 100 IRE because brightness is being throttled more with each IRE level.

For example, at 50 IRE, the theorectical brightness should be 21.46% of white brightness, except the white brightness at 50% IRE is higher vs. 100% IRE. What is important is not the 100% IRE brightness, though. because it is throttled and has no impact on intra-picture gamma.

What is important is the 50% IRE brightness, which is higher. So while regular test patterns lead you to believe brightness is where it should be and gamma is 2.2, in fact it is lagging behind for the full brightness spectrum.

So in conclusion:
  • We need to recalibrate gamma on this display by using APL test patterns - they are the only ones that should ever be used on displays with adaptative brightness where brightness is a moving target.
    OR
  • We need to deactivate the adaptative mechanism (which would have the secondary effect of improving overall brightness)

But as long at the adaptative mechanism exists, we will never be able to have perfect gamma at all APL levels. If we choose to have perfect gamma at 50% APL, we will have brightness below target for low APL levels (since the 50% APL brightness will be lower than at lower APL) and it will be ahead of target for higher APL levels (since the 50% APL brightness will be higher than at higher APL levels).

So in essence, because of the adaptative mechanism, we can never have a perfect intra-picture gamma that works equally well at all APL levels.

The standard error will be smaller at lower brightness levels because the peak brightness range will be more narrow. But in boost mode the max brighness will be 70%higher than minimum brightness, so the standard gamma error at low APL and High APL levels will be higher, so black crush will be quite big for low APL and white crush will be quite big at high APL.

In a nutshell, if we want perfect gamma, we will have to acccept lower intra-picture contrast at lower APL and equalize brightness on the maximum achievable non-thottling 100% brightness. Since the display is very linear, this should yield us perfect gamma and RGB balance for all brightness levels that the user chooses between 0 and max user-selected brightness.

On plasma displays, throttling typically only happens above a certain brightness level. and it is enough to stay within that comfort range But the fact that brightness is being modulated for different APL levels on the S4 makes a good calibration that works at all APL levels impossible...

I can't believe how imaginative Samsung is when it comes to fooling reviewers. The display has potential, I just know that calibrating this thing with undefeated adaptative brightness will not yield perfect results - unfortunately.

The most pressing issue at the moment is the green push though and oversaturated colors, though. I am pretty sure that reducing color saturation will also impact greyscales and brightness on this display...A lot of fun coming our way

Attachments

• dscn13915dltg.jpg
    dscn13915dltg.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 31,799
  • Samsung-Galaxy-S4-vs_-HTC-One-Screen-Outdoor.jpg
    Samsung-Galaxy-S4-vs_-HTC-One-Screen-Outdoor.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31,548
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367931806415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367931806415.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,971
Last edited:

Ddot196

May 7, 2011
So basically the s4 is claiming a longer battery life through web browsing by dimming its screen automatically? I could already tell this, which is when I first bought a galaxy phone I downloaded another browser. I can't stand how Samsung handles the web in terms of the screen. Really annoying.

coming from the og one x

Jme369

Apr 1, 2013
Isn't part of this issue due to thermal throttling? As amoled screens work at maximum load on while backgrounds, so could it therefore heat up more and thereby have to adjust the brightness?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
So basically the s4 is claiming a longer battery life through web browsing by dimming its screen automatically? I could already tell this, which is when I first bought a galaxy phone I downloaded another browser. I can't stand how Samsung handles the web in terms of the screen. Really annoying.

coming from the og one x

This is not only in web browsing, so this affects all browsers (though there may be different treatment for video, I would have to test using video patterns).

The really annoying thing is that the throttling mechanism can't be defeated, so let's say you want to check something really fast while in the sun, you can't even temporarily make your browser go brighter. But you're right that with the Stock/Chrome browser this is actualy worse.

I must say that I did not have other Samsung devices except the S2. I am interested in other user views on the S3 and Note II. Was the same observed? Was the clipping that bad? Those who installed the Perseus Kernel on their Note II, was this circumvented or was only the color temperature and color accuracy fixed? I heard from one user I met at the shops that when he used the Persus Kernel to correct the screen, his battery would get depleted.

A brightness cap at 250cd/m² is not acceptable for web browsing. But then a battery life of 3 hours screen time would not be acceptable either. It is a trade-off. Still, one would wish the user had a choice to boost the brightness for short periods of time.

Last edited:

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
Isn't part of this issue due to thermal throttling? As amoled screens work at maximum load on while backgrounds, so could it therefore heat up more and thereby have to adjust the brightness?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

No thermal throttling is indicated with a message. This is more of an adaptative brightness mechanism, but much more aggressive than what can be observed on the HTC One (the One will vary between 400cd/m2 and 530cd/m² depending on the content).

This is the regular behavior for bright content handling.

You can actually observe this on your browser while browsing and when scrolling from content that is bright (text) to content that is less bright (darker picture) and vice versa, you will clearly see how suddenly the brightness increases and decreases (in real time). The same can be observed when you launch your browser. Coming from a less bright picture level into the browser will cause it to clip whites, so you will see it dim within the first second.

Attachments

• EDIT2.jpg
    EDIT2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 5,739
  • EDIT.jpg
    EDIT.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 7,993
  • 20130427_154818_zps0a33bcca.jpg
    20130427_154818_zps0a33bcca.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,702
Last edited:

DocRambone

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
No such thing on my 9500, even compared to a HTC its bright in browser.
You must have a faulty unit or some setting that prevent full brightness in browser.

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
You must have a faulty unit or some setting that prevent full brightness in browser.

The pictures were not from me! They all behave the same. This is something I had observed in 4 different shops. This is something that others have reported. It can be observed in Anandtech's readings on the S4 review.

All I am doing is quantifying what users and testers, including myself, have observed. It is a generalized mechanism.

You can actually observe this on your browser while browsing and when scrolling from content that is bright (text) to content that is less bright (darker picture) and vice versa, you will clearly see how suddenly the brightness increases and decreases (in real time). The same can be observed when you launch your browser. Coming from a less bright picture level into the browser will cause it to clip whites, so you will see it dim within the first second.

Note that on mixed content with only patches of bright colors/white (e.g. page with pictures or video), white point brightness will be more around 300cd/m². This happens when the average picture increases.

Last edited:

DocRambone

Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
The pictures were not from me! They all behave the same. This is something I had observed in 4 different shops. This is something that others have reported. It can be observed in Anandtech's readings on the S4 review.

All I am doing is quantifying what users and testers, including myself, have observed. It is a generalized mechanism.

Still, some setting/unit is clearly wrong. The brightness with a full white webpage is very high. Check settings again, turn off the adaptive screen settings etc.

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
Uh yea, turn off Auto Adjust Screen Tone in the screen settings.

Otherwise this is the CABC / content aware brightness control on the AMOLED controller. I'll have to check it later in the kernel.

Last edited:
Reactions: astoncheah

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt

Otherwise this is the CABC / content aware brightness control on the AMOLED controller. I'll have to check it later in the kernel.

Yes the Auto-Adjust off improves the white clipping but does not solve the issue. It is still a 20% loss. Thanks for showing-up Andrei, as you are probably the most knowledgeable person in this forum regarding the trade-offs between brightness and battery on those AMOLED devices. My short testing on this device makes me worry that with Auto-Adjust and Power saving turned off, the S4 will run out of battery after 3 hours of web browsing (average white level at 250cd/m²)....Does this sound about right?

To what brightness level was the Perseus Kernel calibrated on the Note II?

That would be a high price to pay to have an equivalent browsing experience as on competing LCD devices!

This is the detailed analysis for all settings combinations (except auto-brightness, which would vary depending on environment light).

attachment.php

Last edited:

DocRambone

Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
My short testing on this device makes me worry that with Auto-Adjust and Power saving turned off, the S4 will run out of battery after 2 hours of web browsing....Does this sound about right?

That would be a high price to pay to have an equivalent browsing experience as on competing LCD devices!

No, wrong, with all power savings off i loose 10% battery for each 45-50 min web-browsing session. (autobrightness +5)
No problem to get 6+ hours out of one charge

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
No, wrong, with all power savings off i loose 10% battery for each 45-50 min web-browsing session. (autobrightness +5)
No problem to get 6+ hours out of one charge

Auto-brightness+5 is very aggressive battery saving - it caps brightness at 145cd/m² in the sun! In terms of brightness, this is equivalent to having both power saving and auto adjust ON and run maximum brighness.

attachment.php

I agree that with this setup you can probably reach 6 hours, but this is quite conservative. Suppose you increase brightness to 250cd/m² (screen not completely white), would this then translate into 4 hours of battery?

Last edited:

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
The Galaxy S4 performs very well in high ambient lighting in spite of its typically lower screen brightness because it has one of the smallest screen Reflectance values of any display we have ever tested, and its more saturated colors can help cut through the reflected light glare. When Automatic Brightness is turned on, the screen brightness increases considerably at high levels of ambient lighting as mentioned above. The Galaxy S4 is then comparable or brighter than most LCD Smartphones.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm#Table

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen

One of this comparison pics was mine. And I had several S4 devices to test. They all behave the same way.

When Automatic Brightness is turned on, the screen brightness increases considerably at high levels of ambient lighting as mentioned above. The Galaxy S4 is then comparable or brighter than most LCD Smartphones.

Tried that with three different units. In the most direct sunlight possible they increased brightness only a bit, not even remotely close to the ONE I'm afraid.

DocRambone

Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
Auto-brightness+5 is very aggressive battery saving - it caps brightness at 145cd/m² in the sun! In terms of brightness, this is equivalent to having both power saving and auto adjust ON.
?

No, i use s4 without any problem outdoors, its much brighter than 145cd/m2
The brightness is rather high, much brighter than my Note2 in same conditions.
In direct sunlight all screens have poor visibility.
In the shadows the s4 behaves as good as the htc one.
And my findings is that 6+ hours screen on in well lit (outdoor) conditions is rather normal.

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen
In direct sunlight all screens have poor visibility.
In the shadows the s4 behaves as good as the htc one.

Tested that on sunday and have to disagree completely. HTC ONE: Watching the VERGE Videos with sunglasses worked perfect in direct sunlight.
S4: Not even remotely possible without sunglasses. And the difference even in shady surroundings is very real.

DocRambone

Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
Tested that on sunday and have to disagree completely. HTC ONE: Watching the VERGE Videos with sunglasses worked perfect in direct sunlight.
S4: Not even remotely possible without sunglasses. And the difference even in shady surroundings is very real.

Lol, why would you look at videos in direct sunlight with sunglasses?

A more normal scenario is in the shadows and there the s4 behaves as good as the htc one.

Reactions: Orical

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen
Lol, why would you look at videos in direct sunlight with sunglasses?

A more normal scenario is in the shadows and there the s4 behaves as good as the htc one.

Because it was still very enjoyable on the ONE and not as stressful on my eyes. Don't mean to be rude, but did you actually had the chance to look at S4 and ONE at the same time in the shadows? I really doubt that.

And a normal scenario for me would be in the park, at the beach, shopping outside etc. as well as in shady areas.

I still got both devices here for today, might do some additional photos to prove the S4s lack of brightness outside (in every situation).

DocRambone

Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
Because it was still very enjoyable on the ONE and not as stressful on my eyes. Don't mean to be rude, but did you actually had the chance to look at S4 and ONE at the same time in the shadows? I really doubt that.

And a normal scenario for me would be in the park, at the beach, shopping outside etc. as well as in shady areas.

I still got both devices here for today, might do some additional photos to prove the S4s lack of brightness outside (in every situation).

I have access to a htc one also and even if it brighter in direct sunlight, its not better in the shadows, high brightness is not the only factor, low reflectance is as important.

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
The Galaxy S4 performs very well in high ambient lighting in spite of its typically lower screen brightness because it has one of the smallest screen Reflectance values of any display we have ever tested, and its more saturated colors can help cut through the reflected light glare. When Automatic Brightness is turned on, the screen brightness increases considerably at high levels of ambient lighting as mentioned above. The Galaxy S4 is then comparable or brighter than most LCD Smartphones.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm#Table

Yes, we all read that, but unfortunately that only true outside of web browsing, where you mainly see more mixed conent The Displaymate reflectance tests were conducted on color patterns which had much dimmer average picture level and therefore do not create white clipping. Also correct me if I am wrong but I believe they used a market app. which does not have as much clipping as the browser for some reason (well we know it's to put down a good web browsing battery test...).

So the Displaymate results cannot be transposed to most Smartphone applications, such as texting, Whatsapp. GPS Nigivation, Web Browsing. In those situation white point brightness gets severely clipped and this is what we see clearly in all the pictures. That's exactly the problem.

Smartphone manufacturers have become incredibly shrewed and inventive when it comes to thwarting poor benchmark results. Measuring brightness and battery life used to be so simple. Nowadays displays behave in ways that most reviews do not have the time or patience to study, so it is easy to be mislead.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We have all seen the side by side web browsing comparisons between the S4 and the HTC One. Because of the screen reviews, which measured brightness at 300cd/m² and higher, we were a bit dubitative.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Well, it turns out the poor results are due to brightness throttling on white or near white content, which will vary depending on the power saving options that are activated. In Chrome and in the Stock Browser, this is further aggravated by the undefeatable activation of the Power Saving mode.

The measurements below were conducted with an i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and a profiled i1 Display Pro (for dark readings).

Maximum Brightness (Adapt Display/Dynamic/Standard Mode)

• Even without any Power Option engaged, white levels on white or near white content will be 15% to 20% below peak brightness (290cd/m² from 355cd/m²)
    • Auto-Tone will clip whites further above 60% Average Picture Level
    • Power Saving reduces brightness by 25%
    • In Chrome and in the stock browser the Power Saving mode is activated as a default (surely in an attempt to fool battery tests into overestimating number of browsing hours on battery) - and cannot be defeated. It is therefore recommended to switch to another browser (e.g. AOSP) for better outdoor viewing.

The graph below outlines the brightness throttling mechanism in Dynamic/Standard/Auto Mode at maximum brighness.

attachment.php

As we can see, web browsing is the activity that will take the most serious hit, seeing as web browsing average picture levels typically falls within the 70% to 90% APL range. Although the throttling is to conserve battery life, this a bit sneaky from Samsung, as this tricks reviewers into overestimating battery life and consumers into believing they have the best of both worlds (brightness and battery life). There is a choice that can and has to be made.

Auto-Brightness (Adapt Display/Dynamic/Standard Mode)
    Using auto-brightness instead of maximum brightness will actually enable a boost mode, which will activate under prolonged exposure to extremely bright light (I had to use my HTC One's flash at close range to simulate this).

Summary
    • The boost mode offers a 35% brightness gain, however this gain starts to plummet at around 60% APL, which means that the gain for web browsing and Google Maps will only be 5 to 15%
    • The peak brightness under prolonged sun exposure at 1% APL level is 478cd/m² (displaymate measured this at 475cd/m²). whereas the maximum brightness for pure white ends up at the unboosted level of 383cd/m²
    • Without Boost Mode, the brightness curve in a birghtly lit environment is exactly the same as the maximum brightness captured in my earlier graph.
    • The auto brightness -5/+5 radio button has no impact on the maximum brightness achievable - it will go full throttle if it has to. Only brightness at lower ambient light levels is impacted by this fine-tuning...
    • There is no Power Saving mode override in auto-brightness, and those browsers even benefit from the Boost Mode.
    attachment.php

Just to put the graphs into perspective, I am showing the maximum reachable brightness for various Android applications:

Android Menu: 5% APL | Maximum Brightness: 465cd/m²
    attachment.php

Android Menu with radio buttons: 10% APL | Maximum Brightness: 455cd/m²
    attachment.php

OLED fiendly web site: 15% APL | Maximum Brightness: 445cd/m²
    attachment.php

Random Gallery Picture: 40% APL | Maximum Brightness: 410cd/m²
    attachment.php

Google Play: 60% APL | Maximum Brightness: 395cd/m²
    attachment.php

Anandtech with zoom on picture: 70% APL | Maximum Brightness: 350cd/m²
    attachment.php

Google Maps: 75% APL | Maximum Brightness: 320cd/m²
    attachment.php

Whatsapp: 80% APL | Maximum Brightness: 305cd/m²
    attachment.php

Android Contact List: 85% APL | Maximum Brightness: 295cd/m²
    attachment.php

Google Results page: 90% APL | Maximum Brightness: 290cd/m²
    attachment.php

Google: 95% APL | Maximum Brightness: 285cd/m²
    attachment.php

Greyscale and Color Gamut (Film Mode)

1. RGB balance has a discernible green push above 50% brightness (less exposed in Anantech's review because Brian measures at 50% brightness rather than maximum)
    2. Color Space is oversaturated even in film mode (consistent with Anantech's and Displaymate's findings)
    3. Gamma will also get worse on content that has a high proportion of bright content, with brightness compression happening at the top end of the spectrum. For videos, it is therefore recommended to use 50% of maximum brightness or auto-brightness

White point color Temperature:
    • 6410cd/m² in Film/sRGB Mode - again, this is at maximum brightness, the green dominance will be different at different brightness levels (as can be seen on the curves below)
    • 6940cd/m² in Standard Mode, Dynamic Mode and Auto-Adjust Mode (I personally prefer that color temperature because it is more consistent across the whole scale, so the picture looks more harmonious)

Gamma is improved versus previous iterations but there is still a slight black crush and white crush happening at the extremities (nothing too major). The white crush will not be observed with smaller test patterns but will be worse for bright content! The black crush will be worse with Auto Tone on (to conserve battery, the transition into blacks is quicker).

Color gamut as expected is oversaturated. But what is more surprising is that it is oversaturated even in Film mode, although to a smaller extent. I went back to Brian's review, and this was also what he found. I believe two other reviews had different findings - but I may remember this incorrectly

Measurements in Film Mode

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Color Space (Adapt Screen/Dynamic/Standard Mode)

attachment.php

Viewing Angles (Film Mode)

Summary:
    • Viewed directly, the display exhibits a green push in spite of near perfect color temperature
    • Viewing at an angle reduces green and red and increases blue
    • The most neutral white balances (Delta E of 2.8) can be obtained by viewing the screen at a 15° angle (you can do the test and notice how the green push disappears!)
    • The color temperature at this angle is further away from the 6500K standard than for direct viewing but it is still more neutral (shows the importance of RGB balance)

The following charts shows the RGB balance, correlated color temperature and Delta E for viewing angles of 0° to 40°.

attachment.php

This is an important lesson: sometimes it is preferrable to calibrate at a somewhat higher color temperature to improve the RGB balance (generally a blue push is less perceptible than a green push). However in this case, Samsung's calibration was most certainly to improve the overall brightness of the screen (green has a stronger luminance than red or blue).

Throughts and Recommendation to Devs for Kernel Calibration

Essentially, the adaptative brightness without power saving options is to fool regular gamma testing and make it look flat even though it isn't - again to conserve battery!

Using Average Picture Level patterns, to keep brightness constant across the greyscale, we can clearly see that the gamma is too high (2.4).

By reducing brightness as IRE levels increase, the display conceals the fact that brightness increases too slow across the full IRE spectrium - because the final brightness ends up being lower, regular test patterns will say that brightness at each IRE level is where it should be when in fact it lags behind. It only catches up with target brightness at 100 IRE because brightness is being throttled more with each IRE level.

For example, at 50 IRE, the theorectical brightness should be 21.46% of white brightness, except the white brightness at 50% IRE is higher vs. 100% IRE. What is important is not the 100% IRE brightness, though. because it is throttled and has no impact on intra-picture gamma.

What is important is the 50% IRE brightness, which is higher. So while regular test patterns lead you to believe brightness is where it should be and gamma is 2.2, in fact it is lagging behind for the full brightness spectrum.

So in conclusion:
    • We need to recalibrate gamma on this display by using APL test patterns - they are the only ones that should ever be used on displays with adaptative brightness where brightness is a moving target.
      OR
    • We need to deactivate the adaptative mechanism (which would have the secondary effect of improving overall brightness)

But as long at the adaptative mechanism exists, we will never be able to have perfect gamma at all APL levels. If we choose to have perfect gamma at 50% APL, we will have brightness below target for low APL levels (since the 50% APL brightness will be lower than at lower APL) and it will be ahead of target for higher APL levels (since the 50% APL brightness will be higher than at higher APL levels).

So in essence, because of the adaptative mechanism, we can never have a perfect intra-picture gamma that works equally well at all APL levels.

The standard error will be smaller at lower brightness levels because the peak brightness range will be more narrow. But in boost mode the max brighness will be 70%higher than minimum brightness, so the standard gamma error at low APL and High APL levels will be higher, so black crush will be quite big for low APL and white crush will be quite big at high APL.

In a nutshell, if we want perfect gamma, we will have to acccept lower intra-picture contrast at lower APL and equalize brightness on the maximum achievable non-thottling 100% brightness. Since the display is very linear, this should yield us perfect gamma and RGB balance for all brightness levels that the user chooses between 0 and max user-selected brightness.

On plasma displays, throttling typically only happens above a certain brightness level. and it is enough to stay within that comfort range But the fact that brightness is being modulated for different APL levels on the S4 makes a good calibration that works at all APL levels impossible...

I can't believe how imaginative Samsung is when it comes to fooling reviewers. The display has potential, I just know that calibrating this thing with undefeated adaptative brightness will not yield perfect results - unfortunately.

The most pressing issue at the moment is the green push though and oversaturated colors, though. I am pretty sure that reducing color saturation will also impact greyscales and brightness on this display...A lot of fun coming our way
    Thanks for bringing this up puremind :good:

I'll continue to monitor this thread and if this is the case (where the brightness is throttled in all web browsers with no means of fixing it) then I'll simply look more into the LG Optimus G Pro due to its removable battery and IPS display.

OP started a similar "expose" thread in the One forum that pretty much went nowhere as user experiences didn't jive with his assumptions/conclusions that the One used up to five different displays with brightness varying from 300-550 cd/m2. The part that was missing was the "smoking gun" which would be actual users reporting the same things that OP's observed.

As for this thread, this pretty much says it all:

The pictures were not from me!

Read the DisplayMate test. It's incredibly detailed and I'm pretty sure there's no subversive plot on Samsung's part to lead reviewers to false performance conclusions. DisplayMate makes the equipment manufacturers use to calibrate their displays and aren't affiliated with any OEM and their work isn't limited to mobile devices. They are the penultimate source of display information.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

The review's author has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University. His bio's here.

http://www.displaymate.com/about.html

Limiting brightness when the display's set to manual mode is kind of funky as historically higher brightness levels were achieved that way. On the SGS4 it's the opposite. Also there's no way of knowing what affect Adapt Display has on display brightness as it's "learning" a user’s behavior. And I wonder how many reviewers left "Auto Tone" on which caps the display at 300 cd/m2. There are a lot of display settings that can be manipulated on the SGS4 and there's no way of confirming which individual reviewers had active or disabled. It would also explain different reviewers reporting different results.

This is a thread OP started recently in the One forum. "I can't stop purchasing HTC One phones"

Originally I wanted to have several devices to run some display testing, and I was supposed to give them back, but with now 3 HTC One phones (2 silver and 1 black) in my possession, I am having trouble parting from them.

I am now seriously considering keeping the other two phones, one as a remote control, one as a hotspot router with permanent that remains online in all social networks.

I love the fact that I always have 1 charged up phone ready to be grabbed, checked upon, plus I really couldn't decide which screen I like best. The 6640K one has got really accurate colors and is brighter and the 6970K one has got the best contrast.

This way I can move back and forth between the two displays depending on my mood.

Feeling the aluminum of the device in my hands was already making me beam, but now sometimes I have all 3 devices in my hands, gliding on each other and I find the slow aluminum rubbing noise wildly erotic.

The HTC One is the best piece of hardware I have seen in a long time. Three HTC Ones make me smile any day. Ever since I got the HTC One, I stopped dating, I do more sports and am constantly overjoyed with anything ordinary.

Everytime I am around a smartphone shop, I feel like chatting clients up and make them marvel about the phone. I have started an unofficial job as an HTC One advisor, now Vodafone and O2 shop representatives let me talk to their clients whenever they see me and don't bother advising clients anymore. They have gotten used to me measuring up screens.

I realize my behavior is not normal, though. I was wondering if any of you had the same experience and if you had any tricks how you can quit feeling addicted to the HTC One. I have tried reducing the brightness, shutting down the sun and hiding the phone under pillows, but none of this helped.
    Barry, you know full well that the thread you are quoting was to mock fanboys haunting our forums. Don't pretend you didn't catch the irony :)
    Not everyone will get my humor, but since you are at it, you should also quote that thread from me (which was mocking trolls - just to keep things balanced):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40040818

puremind said:
    My HTC One broke and injured me

This is to share my experiences with the HTC One and hopefully prevent other users from injuring themselves. When I received my HTC One I was so excited, I naturally tried to put my SIM card into the One. This is my first problem with the One. None of the openings seem to fit for the SIM card!

The opening at the bottom is too small. At first I thought this is because my SIM card is not a micro SIM card, so I started cutting the plastic around the SIM card until it fits in. But it still wouldn't fit! Now I have butchered my SIM card and I don't think it will work anymore because I had to cut a piece of the metal, and still it doesn't fit.

So I figured after a while that you have to open the phone! I am very disappointed this phone because one of the main selling point was that you can't remove the battery because it has no gaps. What they don't tell you is that you have to open it to put the SIM card.

Now I tried to open the damn thing and the aluminium is so sharp that my skin started bleeding. I don't know if this was a defect unit, but the aluminium on this device is so sharp that holding the device hurts. So far I have only managed to unmount the top speaker cover. I saw that there was a tiny opening so I figured this is where the SD card fits. It isn't! Not only is there no SIM card slot there, but the speaker cover won't go back into place.

So I am now left with a butchered SIM card because this damn no gap construction of HTC and a cut on my finger to open the damn thing and a speaker cover that I can put back into place. Thank you HTC but I think plastic is safer.

That was for the unserious part. Now to the other thread you quote on the One's display. It has got 31 pages, 8 of which in the last week alone, si I don't think it went nowhere:
    • it explained and quantified how the display adapts to average picture levels
    • it established that there are two different types of color temperature and brightness/contrast settings
    • it established that the cooler calibration can vary between cool and very cool and that overall color temperature can range from 6470K to 8000K (inter-reviewer discrepencies aside)
    . :good:

I have already explained why the Displaymate tests are not relevant to this discussion: the screen itself is not being discussed here, only how it behaves in real life situations that were not part of Displaymate's testing protocol.

Also, since you seem to think I am biased, I think you should know that I will keep the Galaxy S4 because I can see the potential of this device for the future thanks to the great work of devs like Andrei. I hope to be able to contribute to make the S4 a better device in the coming weeks, but for now I think this bit of fact finding is not uninteresting.

One last question for you to ponder: If Samsung managed to produce S4 units with screens that measure exactly the same from device to device, why can't HTC calibrate their unique JDI Panel to the same quality standards and have to use color temperature calibrations between 6340K and 8000K? In any case, as the good capitalist that I am, I will continue to promote information as "perfect" as it can be and raise awareness with the reviewers - you may not believe but most are actually grateful for the tips - and this will in turn help refine their testing in future reviews.

OP started a similar "expose" thread in the One forum that pretty much went nowhere as user experiences didn't jive with his assumptions/conclusions that the One used up to five different displays with brightness varying from 300-550 cd/m2. The part that was missing was the "smoking gun" which would be actual users reporting the same things that OP's observed.

As for this thread, this pretty much says it all:

Read the DisplayMate test. It's incredibly detailed and I'm pretty sure there's no subversive plot on Samsung's part to lead reviewers to false performance conclusions. DisplayMate makes the equipment manufacturers use to calibrate their displays and aren't affiliated with any OEM and their work isn't limited to mobile devices. They are the penultimate source of display information.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

The review's author has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University. His bio's here.

http://www.displaymate.com/about.html
    David Katzmaier is behind the CNET display review on the S4, and his TV reviews are considered the most elaborate and professional of any online publication.

Screens test: HTC One vs. Samsung Galaxy S4
    CNET tests the screens of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4.
    by David Katzmaier and Brian Bennett | June 6, 2013

The two hottest flagship Android smartphones right now, the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4, both earned CNET's Editors' Choice Awards for their stellar designs, massive feature sets, and overall appeal.

So which one has the better screen?

In the tradition of our original screens tests last year, we set out to answer that very question. We used a combination of objective measurements courtesy of the same expensive test gear we use to evaluate and calibrate HDTVs, and subjective observations courtesy of our priceless, expert eyes.

As we found previously, each screen has particular strengths and weaknesses, but to our minds the Samsung Galaxy S4 has the better screen. Its victory over the One, however, was by no means a slam dunk.

Overall color accuracy between the two is nearly a wash by the numbers, and the One has a decided advantage in brightness -- making it the better choice if you spend a lot of time outdoors under a bright sky. But the deeper black levels and insane contrast of the GS4, along with the versatility afforded by its many settings, helped put it over the top.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-57587774/screens-test-htc-one-vs-samsung-galaxy-s4/