[KERNEL] Stock Touchwiz MDB - SetUID Restriction Removed

Search This thread

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
I am not responsible for anything you do with your device. Anything you or someone else flashes or modifies on your device or someone else's device is not my fault or responsibility to fix (or break).

What is this?
SGH-M919V_JB_Opensource.zip [MDB Version] compiled with the defconfig grabbed from May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL. You can grab the source like I did, from opensource.samsung.com. Defconfig was the only change, since CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_SETUID was already commented out from the source linked previously. Modules are also included from this kernel source, same link as previously as well.
Flash this if you want to have a non-SetUID restricted kernel compatible with the May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL and you don't want to flash the old boot.img which is done in my root thread.

Downloads
Mirror 1 - Dev-Host
Mirror 2 - Batakang

Source
Github

Instructions
  1. Flash in the Custom Recovery of your choice.
  2. If you aren't already rooted, flash a Root.zip such as SuperuSu by Chainfire or Superuser by Koush.
  3. Reboot and enjoy.

Tested On
  • M919UVUAMDB
  • M919UVUAMDL

Be Advised
SDCard's using exFat will not work with this kernel.
Flasher updated, now will not remove all modules in system, but will just overwrite the ones made by Samsung Open Source. This way you don't need to flash exFat modules separately. You can still do so if you want.
The exFat kernel module is not open source and thus is not included in this. You can flash this to get exFat working if it is not..

Screenshots
AIXyK2Ul.png
MHcdW0Rl.png

Thanks to Shabbypenguin for advice on defconfig and modules. Hope this helps someone, and if it did, use the Thanks button.

Last edited:

djfreaq

Sep 23, 2008
Flash this if you want to have a non-SetUID restricted kernel compatible with the May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL and you don't want to flash the old boot.img

This is greek to me.

I know you're busy. But could you explain the advantage of having a "non-SetUID restricted kernel" and "don't want to flash the old boot.img"?

Reactions: bthurber

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
This is greek to me.

I know you're busy. But could you explain the advantage of having a "non-SetUID restricted kernel" and "don't want to flash the old boot.img"?
"non-SetUID restricted kernel"
Being able to have root on the latest firmware.

"don't want to flash the old boot.img"
You can already root the latest firmware by running the ORIGINAL kernel that came with the phone.

Also, just updated OP tested on original firmware.

Reactions: djfreaq

djfreaq

Sep 23, 2008
"non-SetUID restricted kernel"
Being able to have root on the latest firmware.

"don't want to flash the old boot.img"
You can already root the latest firmware by running the ORIGINAL kernel that came with the phone.

Also, just updated OP tested on original firmware.

Nice. This is wonderful. Flashing now. Thank you for the clarification!

negerhab

Oct 11, 2009
Confirmed working with M919UVUAMDL kernel, thank you!! It's good to be back in root land!! :D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

Reactions: bbobarino

Jdom58

Aug 30, 2009
South Florida
Just got my s4 yesterday and have already done the OTA update, sorry if I'm being redundant here but just want to double check the procedure just to make sure I don't have any issues.

Do I root the phone using matt's " [INFO][HOWTO][ROOT] May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL" thread and after completion flash this kernel?

Thanks, just want to get it right the first time.

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
So update to stock MDL ota and flash recovery then this then root?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Yup.
Ohhh wow I didnt know that.. I assumed 1.9 was the stock clock speed

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
HTC One comes with 1.7 Ghz, I thought ours was overclocked to 1.9?

Just got my s4 yesterday and have already done the OTA update, sorry if I'm being redundant here but just want to double check the procedure just to make sure I don't have any issues.

Do I root the phone using matt's " [INFO][HOWTO][ROOT] May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL" thread and after completion flash this kernel?

Thanks, just want to get it right the first time.
That's one way to go about it, yes.

overclocked? thats what its comes with???:confused:
HTC One comes with 1.7 Ghz, I thought ours was overclocked to 1.9?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible for anything you do with your device. Anything you or someone else flashes or modifies on your device or someone else's device is not my fault or responsibility to fix (or break).

What is this?
    SGH-M919V_JB_Opensource.zip [MDB Version] compiled with the defconfig grabbed from May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL. You can grab the source like I did, from opensource.samsung.com. Defconfig was the only change, since CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_SETUID was already commented out from the source linked previously. Modules are also included from this kernel source, same link as previously as well.
    Flash this if you want to have a non-SetUID restricted kernel compatible with the May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL and you don't want to flash the old boot.img which is done in my root thread.

Downloads
    Mirror 1 - Dev-Host
    Mirror 2 - Batakang

Source
    Github

Instructions
    1. Flash in the Custom Recovery of your choice.
    2. If you aren't already rooted, flash a Root.zip such as SuperuSu by Chainfire or Superuser by Koush.
    3. Reboot and enjoy.

Tested On
    • M919UVUAMDB
    • M919UVUAMDL

Be Advised
    SDCard's using exFat will not work with this kernel.
    Flasher updated, now will not remove all modules in system, but will just overwrite the ones made by Samsung Open Source. This way you don't need to flash exFat modules separately. You can still do so if you want.
    The exFat kernel module is not open source and thus is not included in this. You can flash this to get exFat working if it is not..

Screenshots
    AIXyK2Ul.png
    MHcdW0Rl.png

Thanks to Shabbypenguin for advice on defconfig and modules. Hope this helps someone, and if it did, use the Thanks button.
    I think our processor is slightly different (300 karit) even though they are both called snapdragon 600. I could be wrong.

Regardless, I am not going to be overclocking this device.

Someone else can, but I like the plastic not to melt off the back ;)
    This will work if you didn't OTA?

(Please don't quote the entire OP...)

Haven't tested on original firmware, only the OTA. Would be nice to have someone try it out and see.

EDIT: Original firmware now tested.
    I had problems with my ext sd card (64gb exfat formated) with this kernal. Anyone else have the same problem?

OP updated with exFat flashable zip to test.
    can someone comfirm that exfat works after flashing this since it didnt work on Wicked's modified MDL rom.

See link to exFat flasher in the OP if you want to be sure.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2