FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Very strange and annoying problem with HTC Sense keyboard.

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By SVFeingold, Junior Member on 12th May 2013, 03:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm on T-mobile and got an HTC One a couple weeks ago. It is running android version 4.1.2 with HTC Sense version 5.0.

Everything is great except for an inexplicable problem I have when typing on the keyboard (HTC Sense input). No swype, just typing.

Normally, if you type a word that isn't in the dictionary, it displays the word you actually typed on the "word bar" that pops up. It shows up on the leftmost side. If you tap the word, it will be added to the dictionary. To the right of that word is the word it thinks you meant to type. If you just press space, it will auto correct to that suggested word. So far so good, this all makes sense.

Now, I have an extremely annoying problem. Say I want to type the word "jellybean." I am very careful to press each letter exactly, and can see the letters that pop up above the individual keyboard letters as I am typing. All correct. However, rather than showing that I typed "jellybean" it shows "helkybean." It does this kind of thing with almost every word. Another example, I'll type "morning." The word that shows up is "nirbibg." This appears on the leftmost side of the suggested word bar, implying that this is what I actually typed, and just to the right of that (first suggested word) it shows "morning." In other words, the phone seems to think I typed "nirbibg" when I meant to type morning.

I am totally baffled as to why this happens. Even if the calibration is off, I am clearly pressing the right keys! The correct letters are shown in the little popup as I'm typing. Why, oh why in the world would this be happening?

Here are some more examples, first showing what I'm actually typing and what the phone seems to think I am typing. I am being very careful to push each letter exactly:

Hello, how are you doing?
Hekki, hiw are yoy diibg?

This keyboard is really frustrating me.
Tgis jeyboard us reakky frustratubg ne.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.
Tgus najds absikuteky no sebse at akk.

Clearly this is a practical joke of some kind.
Ckearkg this is oractucak jije if sine kind.

Riding the Saturn 5 rocket must have been quite an experience.
Ridibg tge Saturb 5 ricjet nust have beeb quute an exoeruebce.

Also, I will type a word like "of," pressing each letter correctly, watching the pop-up confirmations show the correct letters, and still it types "if."

I have bilingual prediction off, and the keyboard language is English. Swype is off, though it didn't seem to make any difference whether it was on or off. My dictionary contains the usual naughty words that everyone must add at some point, with no such gibberish. If I just type normally, the gibberish word auto corrects to the right word when I press space, but I'd like to know why it even shows up in the first place when I clearly typed the correct letters!

I am sure this is a simple fix but I am just totally baffled as to why this happens. Any ideas? For what it's worth, this only seems to happen when I type in landscape mode.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVFeingold For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SVFeingold Ad-Free

12th May 2013, 03:42 AM |#2  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Did you try re-calibrating the keyboard? (Settings>Language and keyboard>HTC Sense Input>Advanced>Calibration tool) Even if you don't think it's the problem, it's worth a shot - it only takes a minute, and it does noticeably improve the accuracy, at least to me. I just tried a bunch of random sentences and I was able to type all of them properly on the first try.
12th May 2013, 03:54 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Yep, I did. First I reset the calibration, same thing. Then I re-calibrated. Same thing.

When I am typing in portrait mode it seems to be fine. No such problems. Only in landscape mode does this happen, but the calibration appears to only work in portrait mode. If there's a way to do a landscape calibration, I haven't found it.
12th May 2013, 07:50 AM |#4  
Flag cali
Thanks Meter: 327

More
Make sure every thing is set to English US. Even under post spellling settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to coupetastic-droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coupetastic-droid Ad-Free
12th May 2013, 09:36 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I am running arhd 8.0 ElementalX kernel had same issue under settings. Its due to the languages . turns out Italian Portuguese Spanish french were on and its auto correcting, just make sure English is the only one checked should resolve the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
12th May 2013, 07:19 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Yep, everything is set to English. That was one of the first things I checked. This includes the post-spelling check.

I also notice know this seems to only happen in the Facebook app...when I use Gmail or SMS, everything is fine. Hm...

That is not such a huge problem then, but I still don't understand why the behavior would change in a different app. I assumed the keyboard interface was low-level enough that the apps would not affect how it works. Weird...
12th May 2013, 07:35 PM |#7  
Flag cali
Thanks Meter: 327

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVFeingold

Yep, everything is set to English. That was one of the first things I checked. This includes the post-spelling check.

I also notice know this seems to only happen in the Facebook app...when I use Gmail or SMS, everything is fine. Hm...

That is not such a huge problem then, but I still don't understand why the behavior would change in a different app. I assumed the keyboard interface was low-level enough that the apps would not affect how it works. Weird...

Facebook app is sh*t.

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4g using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to coupetastic-droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coupetastic-droid Ad-Free
16th May 2013, 03:46 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I don't have a fix, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. When I try typing "autocorrect" in the Facebook app (no other app does this) I get "auticirrect".

But get this. It only happens when I hold the phone horizontally. Vertically, it types fine.

It does other odd things too, like the word suggestion bar will freeze, even though I can still type. While signing up for this account, it did it again and the Sense keyboard crashed and sent an error report. Hopefully a fix is coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripleaardvark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tripleaardvark Ad-Free
16th May 2013, 07:03 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 128

More
This may be stating the obvious, but if this problem continues, there are lots of keyboards available you can try that won't have this problem. I'm pleasantly surprised by the stock Sense keyboard, but there are others that I like more.
16th May 2013, 11:38 PM |#10  
Flag Berkeley

More
Not Isolated
As far as I can tell this isn't an isolated incident, as I'm able to replicate the incident as well.

To replicate:
1. Open the facebook app on a stock HTC One
2. Hit the write status button
3. flip the phone to horizontal position.
4. type an "o".
5. type another letter. watch as the "o" changes to an "i".

Screenshots
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adamantbob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Adamantbob Ad-Free
18th June 2013, 06:44 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVFeingold

I'm on T-mobile and got an HTC One a couple weeks ago. It is running android version 4.1.2 with HTC Sense version 5.0.

Everything is great except for an inexplicable problem I have when typing on the keyboard (HTC Sense input). No swype, just typing.

Normally, if you type a word that isn't in the dictionary, it displays the word you actually typed on the "word bar" that pops up. It shows up on the leftmost side. If you tap the word, it will be added to the dictionary. To the right of that word is the word it thinks you meant to type. If you just press space, it will auto correct to that suggested word. So far so good, this all makes sense.

Now, I have an extremely annoying problem. Say I want to type the word "jellybean." I am very careful to press each letter exactly, and can see the letters that pop up above the individual keyboard letters as I am typing. All correct. However, rather than showing that I typed "jellybean" it shows "helkybean." It does this kind of thing with almost every word. Another example, I'll type "morning." The word that shows up is "nirbibg." This appears on the leftmost side of the suggested word bar, implying that this is what I actually typed, and just to the right of that (first suggested word) it shows "morning." In other words, the phone seems to think I typed "nirbibg" when I meant to type morning.

I am totally baffled as to why this happens. Even if the calibration is off, I am clearly pressing the right keys! The correct letters are shown in the little popup as I'm typing. Why, oh why in the world would this be happening?

Here are some more examples, first showing what I'm actually typing and what the phone seems to think I am typing. I am being very careful to push each letter exactly:

Hello, how are you doing?
Hekki, hiw are yoy diibg?

This keyboard is really frustrating me.
Tgis jeyboard us reakky frustratubg ne.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.
Tgus najds absikuteky no sebse at akk.

Clearly this is a practical joke of some kind.
Ckearkg this is oractucak jije if sine kind.

Riding the Saturn 5 rocket must have been quite an experience.
Ridibg tge Saturb 5 ricjet nust have beeb quute an exoeruebce.

Also, I will type a word like "of," pressing each letter correctly, watching the pop-up confirmations show the correct letters, and still it types "if."

I have bilingual prediction off, and the keyboard language is English. Swype is off, though it didn't seem to make any difference whether it was on or off. My dictionary contains the usual naughty words that everyone must add at some point, with no such gibberish. If I just type normally, the gibberish word auto corrects to the right word when I press space, but I'd like to know why it even shows up in the first place when I clearly typed the correct letters!

I am sure this is a simple fix but I am just totally baffled as to why this happens. Any ideas? For what it's worth, this only seems to happen when I type in landscape mode.

Ok I had this problem to, I looked online for help and I found none, so this is what I did. I went to my settings then apps, then all apps and when down to HTC sense input. I disabled the HTC sense input, then I cleared the memory. I turned it back on after that and it worked! Try it out and let me know how it turns out
The Following User Says Thank You to stoogysteven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stoogysteven Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)