FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ Detailed guide ] [ How to ] Improve battery life & performance of ace.

2,133 posts
Thanks Meter: 558

By Venomous Viper 119, Senior Member on 12th May 2013, 11:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATED : 5th October 2013

Welcome to the Viper's thread on performance and battery life !

On topic : As you all know, no matter what ROM you use, no matter what the kernel is, you always seem to find a compromise for performance over battery life. If you are a guy that roams around with the charger after every 4-5 hours, and expect both performance as well as battery life, THIS THREAD IS FOR YOU !!

We'll start with the most basic settings for this and then go through under clocking etc. Let's get started !

Basic settings to have better battery life & performance :

Under the settings menu, do the followings :

1) Accounts & sync - untick background data and auto-sync.

2) Privacy - untick backup & restore.

3) Location & security - untick all.

4) Sound- Disable haptic feedback.

5) Display - Set low screen brightness, select no window animations, disable auto-rotation if you don't use landscape mode much/at all .

6) Applications- Development--> Untick usb debugging & untick allow mock locations.

7) Mobile networks : Tick use 2G only if you don't want to lose battery soon while browsing.

Some recommendations :

1) Do not use task killers frequently. Kill the tasks once. If not much memory is revived, reboot your device. I recommend rebooting your device atleast twice a day for lag free, better performance .

2) Once your battery gets as low as 15 to 20%, charge for 3 hours without a break.

3) Many roms come with applications that you never use. Either delete them using a root explorer if you never use them or just go to Settings --> Applications --> Manage applications ---> select the app you don't use --> force stop, in case you want to use those apps in the future .

4) Find the lighter alternatives for the heavy apps you use. For example, facebook touch over facebook for android.

5) If you're on cm7, under the cyanogenmod settings--> performance --> Enable 16 bit transparency, untick surface dithering, enable purging of assets, set zram compression to 26% under memory management for increased virtual capacity ( These options are available on CM10.1 too ) .

6) If you're on cm10.1, under the developer options, reduce window scale animations to zero, limit background processes as per your need to have a better battery life and more free RAM.

Thanks to brewy for making me assimilate the vitality of force stopping an unused app

7) Do not theme your launcher heavily. Use only those widgets that are needed. Heavy theming consumes more RAM, consequently, low battery.

Scripts that can be used:

1) Adrenaline engine : Included in most of the ROMs

Thread link : Here

Thanks to Imbawind .

2) Full GPU rendering : To reduce the CPU load & force the phone to use GPU for enhanced graphics. Thanks slaid

=-Or-=

If you are on cm10.1, under the developer options, you can enable the gpu rendering without the need of any script.

3) Adrenaline boost : It is a great script if you want just that hint of a boost for gaming.

Thanks to Imbawind again

4) Battery bar mod script : You have to draw your own results after flashing the script.

Thanks to : tazlooney89

5) Project silk : Another nice script for your overall performance & battery starvation.

Thanks to : Pulsedroid

6) Fly on mod : Another script mostly similar to the adrenaline engine.

Thanks to : slaid480

7) Pure Performances X : Recommended & works like a charm on all android versions !

Thanks to : Jeeko

8) Cross Breeder: This is another awesome performance enhancer & this script works on all the devices. It comes with a built in entropy generator like the fly on mod & the pure performances x. It also supports ad blocking to get rid of those annoying pop-ups on your shiny phone. You can update these host files periodically using the adaway app, check out the OP of the tweak to know more. Many more features this script offers, just visit the development thread to know more.

Note: Do not use seeder with this mod. You can only use it to monitor the entropy available. For more details on this, check the OP of the tweak.

Thread link: Here

Thanks to: idcrisis

NOTE : Enable USB debugging mode in the development settings before flashing any of the scripts. Fly on mod & pure performances x come with integrated entropy generator so no need to install Seeder over them. Check out the op of fly on mod to know how to enable/disable the entropy generator manually using terminal emulator. On pure performances x, the entropy generator is enabled by default.

Under clocking :

Under clocking limits the frequency of your phone and allows you to choose between different governors and I/O schedulers. This results in better battery life. But if you don't want to underclock the whole thing and prefer performance with screen on and battery life with screen off ( i.e., on stand by ), go through this thread by my dear friend SuperAce609 :
Thanks to him

You can use set CPU for root users or similar apps to set the profiles of your choice.

Apps :

Seeder : I use the Seeder entropy app for lag reduction ( moderate mode ) with all the options checked in ( ticked/opted or whatever you call it ) .

I think the app is free for XDA users.

Tweaks app on stock : This app is mostly included in all the stock based roms. It encloses several tweaks with darktremor a2sd support. Open this app, grant su permissions, tick everything except media straightfright & Darktremor a2sd. Hit apply & reboot.

All these steps and settings have been tested by myself on a cm7 ROM with fire kernel for nearly a week and I can definitely say, my battery that once lasted for just a matter of hours with much of the time on standby, now lasts easily over a day for moderate use . For browsing on edge, it lasts for about 2 hours. I just lost just 7% of battery after listening to over 1.5 hours of non stop music ! Btw, my phone and battery are nearly 2 years old ! Hope this helps you all ! It took nearly an hour for me to write this thread up ! So don't forget to leave a thanks behind .

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda premium
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Venomous Viper 119 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Venomous Viper 119 Ad-Free

13th May 2013, 09:14 AM |#2  
Flag Vapi
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Got to see something new in a 'Save Battery' thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unnamed.Ace.User For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Unnamed.Ace.User Ad-Free
13th May 2013, 02:56 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gadag

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed.Ace.User

Got to see something new in a 'Save Battery' thread.

Well, there aren't much options you know. All the under clocking etc., stuffs were mentioned in almost all the threads. But no one had mentioned about the most basic settings that considerably help even an unrooted / non-rooted user. I just integrated all the stuffs posted earlier with some of mine to make it a complete guide, so that newbies can find everything at a place.

13th May 2013, 07:16 PM |#4  
Flag Vapi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Viper 119

Well, there aren't much options you know. All the under clocking etc., stuffs were mentioned in almost all the threads. But no one had mentioned about the most basic settings that considerably help even an unrooted / non-rooted user. I just integrated all the stuffs posted earlier with some of mine to make it a complete guide, so that newbies can find everything at a place.

Thats what I was saying.
The word should have been - Organized.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app
14th May 2013, 02:14 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gadag

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed.Ace.User

Thats what I was saying.
The word should have been - Organized.

Exactly

Edit : I misunderstood your first post itself. I thought you were saying, that this thread had nothing new in it. Instead, you were saying, that you saw something new in these types of threads today. That's why I posted like I did Now I understand why my teachers spoke of the importance of punctuations in English in my school days

14th May 2013, 04:50 PM |#6  
Flag Vapi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Viper 119

Exactly

Edit : I misunderstood your first post itself. I thought you were saying, that this thread had nothing new in it. Instead, you were saying, that you saw something new in these types of threads today. That's why I posted like I did Now I understand why my teachers spoke of the importance of punctuations in English in my school days

18th May 2013, 08:55 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Good Work
This is a very helpful guide for those who have no root and for those who have root.
There are very much tips and i hope u keep ur work up.
(thx for the full gpu rendering i have never seen this script).
18th May 2013, 03:07 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gadag

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzzAce

This is a very helpful guide for those who have no root and for those who have root.
There are very much tips and i hope u keep ur work up.
(thx for the full gpu rendering i have never seen this script).

My pleasure. I'd love to help people. If you have any doubts, just ask. I'd be more than happy to help. I'll come up with some more useful threads ahead. Thanks for the support

24th May 2013, 03:43 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gadag

More
Guys, any tips to improve my guide are always welcomed. You guys can discuss & share all the other tips to boost battery & performance here.

Regards,
The Viper.

28th May 2013, 02:45 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I don't understand why to enable gpu rendering? Anyone can explain me what does it mean? Thanks for the guide, its really useful
28th May 2013, 05:45 AM |#11  
Flag Vapi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus13

I don't understand why to enable gpu rendering? Anyone can explain me what does it mean? Thanks for the guide, its really useful

To efficiently reduce CPU load

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)