FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

LG Optimus EX (SU880) [Flash][Root][Bootloader]

325 posts
Thanks Meter: 62

By alamatnitotoy, Senior Member on 16th May 2013, 05:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys, because of the lack of support for our phone, I wanted to create a unified thread for all Optimus EX SU880.
this thread aims to help all users to flash, upgrade or unbricked their phone.

disclaimer:
I am not a developer but just a mere user of SU880 so i am just collating all information i can gather to help us understand our device more further.
so before doing something posted on this thread, please make sure that you do your own back up because I will not be held responsible if you bricked or damage your phone.

Downloads:
V20c Firmware
V19c Firmware
APX Driver
Bootloader installer for V19c
CWM for V19c
Xrecovery For V19c
Root For V19c
ROOT for V20c
LG USB driver
KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z
Smart Flash
Rom Converter

Words you might encounter
1.KDZ = File extension for firmware
2.APX mode aka NVflash = utility where you can flash bios for devices that has nvidia card
3.SOFTWARE UPGRADE mode aka S/W = mode where you can flash a firmware normally

For V19c

Things to do:
1.enable USB debugging
2.back up your files (in case of fire =p )

Upgrading to Stock ROM

Step 1.
>Plug your device via USB cable
>Enable USB debugging and Install the LG united Driver
Step 2.
>Run Rom converter and Extract the Content of your KDZ file
>The tool will asked you about integrated tool ClockworkMod select No and press Enter
>It will extract 3 files but whats important are the SU880_ap.Bin and SU880_cp.fls (take note of the location of the file) then close the RomConverter
>Open SmartFlash and click on the tab ROM copy D/L
>Select the 2 files that you extracted earlier (CP bin for the CP file / AP bin for the AP file)
>tick on normal mode
Step 3.
>Enter S/W mode on your phone
>Power OFF the phone
>Hold the Volume down(-) then Plug the USB cable
>Wait until the SmartFlash Detect the COM port and the Communication driver
>Click the Start button on the SmartFlash tool
>Wait until it says Complete then Reboot your phone by Remove/Insert the battery then press the power button

Rooting V19c stock ROM

>Unplug USB cable
>enable USB debugging mode then Plug back the USB
>Download Root for V19c above
>extract the content to a folder and run ROOT.bat
>press 1 under CMD and select Data Restore on your phone screen
>your Phone will restart
>Turn ON your Phone and you will receive a message from the command prompt that the root is successful
>to verify, you can look for a new ICON (android with a red cape flying)

For V20cc

Things to do:
1.enable USB debugging
2.back up your files (in case of fire =p )

Upgrading to Stock ROM

Step 1.
>Plug your device via USB cable
>Enable USB debugging and Install the LG united Driver
Step 2.
>Enter S/W mode on your phone
>Power OFF the phone
>Hold the Volume down(-) then Plug the USB cable (wait until the computer install the drivers)
>Download the v20c KDZ file
>Run KDZ_FW_UPD and select the V20c KDZ file that you have downloaded
>Select Type: 3GQCT Phonemode: DIAG
>Click Launch Software Update
>Let the application Run until it says finish
>Wait until it says Complete then Reboot your phone by Remove/Insert the battery then press the power button

Note:
**Some user encounter error when using The KDZ Updater (crash / freeze / hang)
**try running the KDZ Updater via Administrator / Go back to Win 7 default theme (not aero) /use Windows XP as an alternative.

Rooting V20c stock ROM

Step 1.
>Unplug USB cable
>enable USB debugging mode then Plug back the USB
>Download Root for V20c above and extract

Step 2.
>Enter APX mode
>Download and install the APX driver above
>remove battery, mmc card and Sim
>phone PIN code
>Hold Both Volume rocker (-) (+) while plugging the USB cable
>Run Start_rooting.bat File and press enter under Command prompt.
>after the CMD finished loading the bootloader
>unplug USB cable and insert the battery back
>Turn on the device normally
>plug the USB cable back
>press enter agan on the command prompt windows t finish the rooting
>wait until it shows root finished

THanks,

That's it for now, but if you have any other question, Just feel free to ask.
and by the way, some of the tools are program using different language so please just bear with them.

One thing that i can promise you is my Phone is unbrickable. =)

Extra:
1.Disable SMS limit
>download Root explorer from the market or you can look for other free app that can enter you root directory
>Download Handcent/ GO sms
>open root explorer then Navigate to >Etc folder>Featuredset.xml>look for Max_user_data, Limit_user_data , Max_user_data and change it your countries preferred value.

Hit "thanks" for the effort =)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alamatnitotoy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alamatnitotoy Ad-Free

28th May 2013, 07:08 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Smile
Provision Official V4

Jelly bean 4.1.2

Provision Official V4

How to:
1.Install CWM recovery
2.Boot into CWM and perform Factory Reset/Wipe Cache (use volume rocker and power button to navigate)
3.install Provision_official_4SU880.zip
4.reboot device
5.reboot to CWM recovery
6.install gapps for jb (formula 84)
7.reboot normally (you will get Android upgrading message)
8.Enjoy

**fix limited SMS
**Device will be rooted automatically
**device wont reboot changing signal from GSM to WCDMA
**additional settings found
**better battery life
**bloat apps remove

******PLEASE POST YOUR FEEDBACK*******

known issue:
**vibration due to kernel issue
**HDMI connection
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alamatnitotoy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alamatnitotoy Ad-Free
28th May 2013, 07:09 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Angry
LGSU880_4.2.2 version-CM10.1 system - final version

change log here (make sure to use google chrome to translate)
http://bbs.angeeks.com/thread-3009972-1-1.html

Steps:
1.Download CWM recovery
CWM Recovery extract content to desktop
2.Download rom and put it inside your SD card
LZ_LGSU880
Google service pack
3.Remove battery
4.press the volume rocker (-)(+) while plugging the USB
5.if ask for APX driver, manually install it. (APX driver included in the folder)
6.Open the CWM folder and run FLASH.bat
7.boot to CWM and flash the ROM and Update
8.Perform a factory reset.

Enjoy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alamatnitotoy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alamatnitotoy Ad-Free
2nd June 2013, 06:59 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamatnitotoy

[Reserved]

Custom Rom page

Can i use CWM and EXrecovery (v19c) for v20c rom?
2nd June 2013, 07:59 PM |#5  
Flag Göd
Thanks Meter: 1,249

Donate to Me
More
Hi @alamatnitotoy !
Me and my friend, who has su880, were testing the v20c kdz.
We flashed v20c kdz using KDZ updater, smartflash and even we tried the offical LG update upgrading from v19c to v20c.
After every way of flasing v20c the phone always stucked at LG boot logo. So We read back every partition from the phone and it turned out that the LNX partition, which contains the kernel, is empty. I mean the kernel was missing after every flash of v20c, but every other partition was okay.
We extracted the the every file from the kdz and the the kernel image was empty in this case as well.
I don't know what is it. Maybe we are doing something wrong or LG simply left out the kernel file from v20c?
Did you flashed v20c?
3rd June 2013, 06:42 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy977

Can i use CWM and EXrecovery (v19c) for v20c rom?

as far as i know, you should use the one that is design for each version

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo

Hi @alamatnitotoy !
Me and my friend, who has su880, were testing the v20c kdz.
We flashed v20c kdz using KDZ updater, smartflash and even we tried the offical LG update upgrading from v19c to v20c.
After every way of flasing v20c the phone always stucked at LG boot logo. So We read back every partition from the phone and it turned out that the LNX partition, which contains the kernel, is empty. I mean the kernel was missing after every flash of v20c, but every other partition was okay.
We extracted the the every file from the kdz and the the kernel image was empty in this case as well.
I don't know what is it. Maybe we are doing something wrong or LG simply left out the kernel file from v20c?
Did you flashed v20c?

yes i did flash the v20c. I had that problem before also when using other flasher other than the kdz updater. also sometimes when its failing, what i do is i run the file "Root v20c" thru apx before using the KDZ updater to upload the v20c
3rd June 2013, 07:05 AM |#7  
Flag Göd

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamatnitotoy

yes i did flash the v20c. I had that problem before also when using other flasher other than the kdz updater. also sometimes when its failing, what i do is i run the file "Root v20c" thru apx before using the KDZ updater to upload the v20c

Thnak you! The rooting-forv20c.rar contains the v20c kernel file.
4th June 2013, 02:02 PM |#8  

More
I need CWM for v20c.Do you have it?
4th June 2013, 07:00 PM |#9  
Flag Göd

Donate to Me
More
@alamatnitotoy I looked deeply into why flashing v20c brick your phone. My statement that the kernel image is missing from v20c was wrong. The kernel is there but an wrong place. When you use the extractor from P990 AIO toolkit to extract the image files from AP.bin file, the extractor shows you that which image file is at what OFFSET (or address) in the AP.bin file. Here is what am I talking about:

Code:
 [01] address=0x00100000 size=0x00400000 // bct file
 [02] address=0x00500000 size=0x00200000 // partition layout
 [03] address=0x00700000 size=0x00200000 // bootloader
 [04] address=0x00900000 size=0x00600000 // recovery
 [05] address=0x00f00000 size=0x2bc00000 // system
 [06] address=0x2cb00000 size=0x00600000 // kernel
 [07] address=0x2d100000 size=0x12c00000 // internal sd content
These adresses also used during smartflashing. These adresses tells the smartflash where is the kernel image and system image and etc in the v20c AP.bin file

If you flash v20c and you read back the 12th partiton with nvflash you can see only zeros.

If you open teh v20c AP.bin file in a hex editor and you go to the 2CB00000 offset you can see there is nothing just bunch of zeros, the kernel is not there. The kernel actually at 2E000000 offset. Not just the kernel is at a wrong offset, also the sd-img is at the wrong offset. sd-img should be at 2D100000 offset, but in the v20c AP.bin it is at 2E600000 offset. So, when you flash v20c the kernel partition will be filled with 00 hex values and the internal sdcard got damaged as well, because the kernel image gets flashed to the internal sdcard. This cause the Stuck at LG boot logo effect, even if you flash v20c kernel to the righ partition with nvflash, because the internal sdcard is damaged.

Fixing v20c AP.bin file:

There are only 00 hex values From 2CB00000 to 2E000000.
Delete those 00 hex values, then the kernel image and the sd-int.img get to the right offset
Insert the same amount of 00 hex values as the amount of deleted 00 hex values to the end of the v20c AP.bin file to keep the size of the sd-int.img, then save the modifications.

I flashed this modified v20c AP.bin to my p990. I read back every necessary partition with nvflash and everything was okay. bootloader, bct, partitions, kernel, recovery, system are aon the right partition so maybe it's fixed, but I am not 100% sure just 98% because I don't have su880

I want to share you and with others the fixed v20c, so you can test. You can download it here

I want to share my google drive folder as well where you can find my works with su880. It has cwm for v19c and v20c. I also write a read me how can you flash it and root your phone with CWM. Well it was not tested as well, I am 98% sure it works, because rooting p990 and su660 stock roms works that way and p990, su660 and su880 almost the same. I use the CWM recovery image from "CWM for v19c".

My folder is here, some files are still uploading. I will notice you in this post when it is finished
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bitdomo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bitdomo Ad-Free
5th June 2013, 07:53 AM |#10  

More
There is no bootloader.img in the folder "SU880_V20C_CWM".Have you forgot it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2018419  
5th June 2013, 08:11 AM |#11  
Flag Göd

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy977

There is no bootloader.img in the folder "SU880_V20C_CWM".Have you forgot it?

Oh sorry . Bootloader is there just rename it to bootloader.img from bootloader.bin, or download the rar file again from my google drive folder. I fixed it now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bricked, flashing, optimus ex, recovery, su880

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)