FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Fix Guide] How to Reflash the A6 Firmware + How to use the WebOS Doctor

797 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,217

Post Reply Email Thread
HP TouchPad Battery Drain issues during sleep (Important):

New Video and methods for flashing the A6 Firmware with the TPtoolbox (Method 3)

Full Guides for the TPtoolbox:
[ROM GUIDE]How to install Android 5.0.x/4.4.x with Jcsullins TPtoolbox "The Super Easy Way"(XDA)

How to test:
To monitor your battery drain history during sleep install the free app Battery Monitor Widget:

1) Download and install the Novacom drivers below:
Download and run the Universal Novacom Installer 1.4.1 here:
Note: You will need to have Java installed to run the Universal installer, click here:
Note: You may need to reboot after installing this software.

Or

Download, extract and install the appropriate version of Novacom for your OS here:
Note: Under Linux the Novacom driver is installed at /opt/Palm run it from this location.
novacom-win-32.tgz
novacom-win-64.tgz
novacom-linux-32.tgz
novacom-linux-64.tgz
novacom-mac.tgz
Novacom driver Mirror:

2)Place the tablet into WebOS recovery mode and run the TPtoolbox

3)Download, unzip and run the TPtoolbox
Battery Monitor Widget:
-Once installed open the app and go to history to see a log of your devices sleep history.
-To setup the Battery Calibration correctly for the HP TouchPad,
-go to BMW settings/calibration/Battery capacity/ and set it to 6300 (*f29c), 6000 (*i29c) or 5800 (*s29c) and tap OK
-Note* See the Battery p/n # on the original packaging.
-Note* after setting the calibration, users will have to allow several hours to pass before the history can be accumulated.
Or
You can also use Cool-Tools to monitor your battery drain in real time.
-Watch the instructional video Here.

A6 Firmware Threads & Info:
Battery Drain issues on HP TouchPad

How to Reflash the A6 Firmware Method 2:

1) Boot to WebOs and in the "Just Type" box enter the following: webos20090606 or upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
-Tap the developer mode icon and slide the toggle to on, then press submit.
WARNING: Do not enter a password. Just tap submit.
-Plug the USB cable into the HP TouchPad and your PC.

2)On your PC Install Java, Novacom and the WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0 software*
- Note* If you have already previously installed Android with Java and Novacom, then skip it.

a]Download Java:

c]Download WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.1:

3)Run the WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.1 software, note your TouchPad must be connected with the USB cable.
-Click on the Small globe icon located under the plus minus buttons.
-This will take us to a new menu where we will search “preware”
-Click the install button and the Preware app will be installed.
-You may now unplug the USB cable.

4)On the tablet while booted into WebOS navigate to downloads and select Preware.
-scroll down until you see a button appear to continue
-Search for “wterm” and install the app.
-Run wterm, and set a password to give the app Root permissions.
- You can set or change the password by looking for the wterm menu in the upper left corner and select setup.
-Click on New password and enter a simple password like ”0000”
-Confirm the password and press “Set Password” button, now hit done and exit.
-Note you can increase the font size by going to wterm preference settings.

5) Now in wterm enter one of the following commands:
PmA6Updater -f -d 0 /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt.00
PmA6Updater –a (Note this shorter command flashes two firmwares)
-It should take about 20-30 seconds to complete and will inform you upon completion.
-Congratulations you have now reflashed the A6 Firmware and can safely close the terminal and reboot your HP TouchPad.
Note: If you input the command and get a message saying it said can't open the A6 device, then try toggling developer mode off and on.

Additional WebOS Preware Performance Tweaks:
I would highly recommend doing the following tweaks. Read the full instructional guide in the link below:
HP TouchPad Setup Guide Part 1: Speed Up Your Tablet With Preware, Homebrew & Patches [WebOS]

Download and install the following packages from Preware:
You should see a noticeable speed improvement while using WebOS. Also a few apps to improve functionality.
Note* You will need to reboot the device after installing most of these packages:

-EOM Overlord Monitoring
-Muffle System Logging
-Remove Dropped Packet Logging
-Unset CFQ IQ Scheduler
-Unthrottle Download Manager
-Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10
-Quiet Powerd Messages (sic)
-Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
-Advanced Rest Options
-Disk Cache Mod
-Unhide Developer Mode Icon
-Reduce Minimum Brightness
-CyBoot
-Ad Blocker OR Max Block – Do not install both.
-Private Browsing (adds an option to your browser)

Reduce Logging & Patch ‘em Up:
This patch require you to log into Skype with the "Phone and Video Calls" app.
Once there place a call to this number using the dialer type: "##5647#"
A logging window will launch, choose to "Clear Logs" first then "Change Logging Levels" and setting logging to "minimal".
Once done, exit the app – your logging levels are now changed.

If you have never used Preware you can watch this video about Flashing the HP Touchpads A6 Firmware.
You will also learn how to use the WebOSQuickInstall-4.5.0 software to install Preware.
Both of these procedures are highly recommended and can be done as part of your post apocalyptic WebOS Survival.

How to Reflash the A6 Firmware Method 3:

1) Boot to WebOs and in the "Just Type" box enter the following: webos20090606 or upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
-Tap the developer mode icon and slide the toggle to on, then press submit.
WARNING: Do not enter a password. Just tap submit.
-Plug the USB cable into the HP TouchPad and your PC.

2)Install Java and the Novacom software*
- Note* If you have already previously installed Android with, Java and Novacom drivers, then proceed to step 3.

a]Download Java:

b]Install Novacom drivers for your OS:
Win32:

Win64:

Linux32:

Linux64:

Mac OSX:

3)Open windows explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\Terminal
-Now run the Terminal.bat*
-Note* if you are using a 64 bit OS and get the Error "Windows cannot find Javaw..." you will need to copy the Javaw.eve from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and paste it into C:\Windows\System32.

4)In the open Novaterm window, select file\connect\Ok
-Now copy and paste the following line into Novaterm and press enter*
PmA6Updater -f -d 0 /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt.00
-Note* Do Not! disconnect the TouchPad After starting this procedure.
-Novaterm will tell you "firmware update complete"
- In the open Novaterm window, select file\disconnect\Ok
-Congratulations you have now relfashed the A6 Firmware and can safely disconnect your HP TouchPad from the USB cable.

Note: Get the latest version of WebOS Doctor 3.0.5 Official here:

[Video+Guide] HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services

How and when to Use the WebOS Doctor(Important):

Q: What’s the WebOS Doctor and when should I use it?

The WebOS Doctor is a program that has two main functions for HP TouchPad users. It can either update your version of WebOS or fix problems with a damaged WebOS by completely reinstalling it. If WebOS no longer boots or apps and preware have stopped working correctly, then you will need to resinstall WebOS with the Doctor. A failed or interrupted attempt at changing the partition sizes with WebOS preware app Tailor may cause these problems. To check what version of WebOS is currently installed go to Launcher(Up Arrow)/Settings/Device Info/ Version

Note: If run the WebOS doctor after March, 15 ,2015. then you will need to bypass the WebOS activation with the instructions here

Note(Important): You MUST uninstall Android before running the WebOS doctor. Failing to remove Android before running the Doctor can result in the process becoming stuck at 8-12% and potentially bricking the device. If you are currently stuck visit the thread below for information about fixing the problem. If you’re unable to use the tablet at all follow the instructions in Jcsullins TPDebrick thread.
The Official Fix your TouchPad ( 8-12% stopped, No SD, Opps reformat, $&^#!@&# crap....) thread.(Rootzwiki)
The Official Fix your TouchPad ( 8-12% stopped, No SD, Opps reformat, $&^#!@&# crap....) thread.(CM)
TPDebrick v004 - Jcsullins dedicated thread for fixing Bricked TouchPads:

Note(Important): Running the Doctor will completely wipe all personal information, applications and preware from the TouchPad. Media like music and movies will not be affected. However I would recommend backing up your important files to PC, before running the Doctor.

Note(Important): In order to install apps from the WebOS store you will need to get the Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services.
[Video+Guide] HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services

How to run the WebOS Doctor:

1) Install Java
-Java must be installed in order for the TouchPad to communicate with your PC.

2) You MUST completely uninstall Android from the HP TouchPad before running the WebOS doctor. Remove Android by running the ACMEUinstaller2. Watch the following video for full uninstall instructions.
How to Uninstall Android or CyanogenMod on the HP TouchPad (All versions)

3) Download the latest 3.0.5 WebOS doctor application to your PC. If upgrading you can check your current version from WebOS by going to Launcher(Up Arrow)/Settings/Device Info/ Version.
WebOS Doctor 3.0.5 Official Link

4) Put the tablet into WebOS recovery mode by doing the following:
-In WebOS Reboot the device by going to Launcher(Up Arrow)/Settings/Device Info/ select “Reset options” choose restart.
-As soon as the screen goes dark hold down the volume up button until you enter WebOS Recovery mode. Note the large USB symbol that should be on the screen. If you miss it just reboot again and hold down the Volume up button right away. Once in WebOS recovery mode connect your USB cable to the PC.

5) Now you’re ready to run the WebOS Doctor app by clicking on the .jar file you downloaded in the previous step. Be sure that your tablet is fully charged and connected with the USB cable before starting this process. Running out of power or interrupting this process in anyway could brick your HP TouchPad. Please be careful and fully read the instructions before beginning.
-Double click the webosdoctor.jar file to launch the app
-Select your language then click next
-Accept the licence agreement, read the warning message then select next to begin the install.
-Be patient the process can take anywhere from 15min to 1hour to complete.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to RolandDeschain79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RolandDeschain79 Ad-Free

17th May 2013, 05:10 PM |#2  
Miami
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Is this a one time thing? Or do we have to reflash the firmware whenever we notice battery issues?
17th May 2013, 07:56 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto

More
Service Every month or so depending on usage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan685

Is this a one time thing? Or do we have to reflash the firmware whenever we notice battery issues?

The discussion over at Rootzwiki seems to indicate that it should be done every month or so depending on your usage. I turn my tablet off when I'm not using it actively so I can do it every couple months or so.

Use the battery monitor widget to check the sleep history. After you've run this procedure once it becomes very easy to repeat.

A6 Firmware Threads & Info:
Battery Drain issues on HP TouchPad

How to test:
How to monitor your battery
To monitor your battery drain history during sleep install the free app Battery Monitor Widget:
-Once installed open the app and go to history to see a log of your devices sleep history.
-To setup the Battery Calibration correctly for the HP TouchPad,
-go to BMW settings/calibration/Battery capacity/ and set it to 6300 (*f29c), 6000 (*i29c) or 5800 (*s29c) and tap OK
-Note* See the Battery p/n # on the original packaging.
Or
You can also use Cool-Tools to monitor your battery drain in real time.
-Watch the instructional video Here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RolandDeschain79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RolandDeschain79 Ad-Free
17th May 2013, 10:25 PM |#4  
Hopefully someone figures a way to do this in Android, I don't even know my WebOS account and I've not bothered to even set it up, so webos boots to the setup wizard and I don't want to make another account. I only lose about 1% every 8 hours though anyway.
17th May 2013, 11:52 PM |#5  
Flag Miami, Florida
Thanks Meter: 218

More
FYI, after doing the above I had to reinstall the hd fix patch. I'm on SGA's 4.2.2 rom. After reinstalling, all is good again.
The Following User Says Thank You to chicle_11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chicle_11 Ad-Free
18th May 2013, 12:00 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 145

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theronkinator

Hopefully someone figures a way to do this in Android, I don't even know my WebOS account and I've not bothered to even set it up, so webos boots to the setup wizard and I don't want to make another account. I only lose about 1% every 8 hours though anyway.

i hope so too. especially if it is recommended to do this once a month =/
18th May 2013, 03:32 AM |#7  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicle_11

FYI, after doing the above I had to reinstall the hd fix patch. I'm on SGA's 4.2.2 rom. After reinstalling, all is good again.

Thank you for the heads up, I will have to make a note about it in my CM10.1 thread.
18th May 2013, 12:04 PM |#8  
Flag Norton, VA
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Would give a thanks right now, but apparently I've hit my limit. Thanks.

BTW, What would be the difference of just doing "PmA6Updater –a" instead of the other full command?
19th May 2013, 02:35 AM |#9  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobas92

Would give a thanks right now, but apparently I've hit my limit. Thanks.

BTW, What would be the difference of just doing "PmA6Updater –a" instead of the other full command?

I should add a little note about that. The shorter command flashes two firmwares (as seen in the video) and therefore takes a little longer but less time to type in. Once you've typed it once in the terminal you can just hit page up to bring up again for future flashing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RolandDeschain79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RolandDeschain79 Ad-Free
22nd May 2013, 09:13 PM |#10  
Flag Norton, VA
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Just wanna say thanks again, my battery life has increased by tenfold.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to jacobas92 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jacobas92 Ad-Free
23rd May 2013, 03:43 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Got "Unable to connect to service" when I tried to connect to the touchpad on a Win7 x64. Can't resolve the problem by re-install Novacom, re-connecting touchpad, or replace the data cables.

Finally get it to work on another Win7 x64 laptop with 32-bit Java installed. Wondering whether 32-bit vs 64-bit Java would make a difference.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)