FORUMS

Is the S 4 too weak?

155 posts
Thanks Meter: 24

By tricki, Senior Member on 18th May 2013, 10:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just pulled the S4 out of my trouser pocket (front) and the screen has been broken.

It did not drop or so but I went some kilometers in the car and it got some tension in the pocket Apparently the plastic chassis is rather soft and could not save the screen enough.
18th May 2013, 10:44 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 169

More
Can you show some pictures

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
18th May 2013, 11:26 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Here you are. You can see the crack only when you look very closely. Don't know how to photograph this. When the screen is off you don't see nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg
Views:	5060
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	1972970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg
Views:	4154
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	1972979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	4549
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	1973184  
18th May 2013, 11:50 PM |#4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Id say it is a bit weak, Ive cracked my front glass (digitiser is fine) between the home button across the menu touch to the side. Ok I dropped it from 4 feet onto concrete but I dropped my S2 about a hundred times before the screen gave. It (S4) is still fully functioning so doesn't bother me, It was the second drop- the first just dented and chipped the chrome effect plastic surround bezel that really should be made of titanium on this phone as its so light and fragile.
I wont swap it on insurance exchange until I break it proper and it is unusable, Orange UK are very good with insurance, £25 admin fee and courier swap the next day.

Ive only had it 2 weeks !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130519_085515.jpg
Views:	2938
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1973873  
18th May 2013, 11:56 PM |#5  
Flag Brasília
Thanks Meter: 1,203

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loggy

Id say it is a bit weak, Ive cracked my front glass (digitiser is fine) between the home button across the menu touch to the side. Ok I dropped it from 4 feet onto concrete but I dropped my S2 about a hundred times before the screen gave. It (S4) is still fully functioning so doesn't bother me, It was the second drop- the first just dented and chipped the chrome effect plastic surround bezel that really should be made of titanium on this phone as its so light and fragile.
I wont swap it on insurance exchange until I break it proper and it is unusable, Orange UK are very good with insurance, £25 admin fee and courier swap the next day.

Ive only had it 2 weeks !

You should be more careful with your devices. You seem to drop them a lot. In less than two weeks you dropped your S4 two times. Something is definetly wrong with you. Put on a soft case at least.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaKTaiL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MaKTaiL Ad-Free
19th May 2013, 12:31 AM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKTaiL

You should be more careful with your devices. You seem to drop them a lot. In less than two weeks you dropped your S4 two times. Something is definetly wrong with you. Put on a soft case at least.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

Thanks, good advice, Ive just ordered one of >> these<< .I've got 2 years with this S4 so I may as well try not to break it as I really do tend to drop my phones a lot.. lol..
The Following User Says Thank You to loggy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loggy Ad-Free
19th May 2013, 02:14 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I put my phone in my front pocket all the time and this scares me before I got my S4.
19th May 2013, 02:48 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricki

I just pulled the S4 out of my trouser pocket (front) and the screen has been broken.

It did not drop or so but I went some kilometers in the car and it got some tension in the pocket Apparently the plastic chassis is rather soft and could not save the screen enough.

I seriously doubt the phone broke like that from just being in your pocket. Are you telling the whole story? I've had my S4 in my pocket every day since it was available on April 25th and it's still perfect. Oh yeah, I work in elevator constriction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20blks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 20blks Ad-Free
19th May 2013, 01:10 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Buy rigid screen covering cases, pockets aren't safe they're either tight and exert pressure or they're loose and bang about, the phone is worth a lot of money and deserves protecting.
19th May 2013, 02:05 PM |#10  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 2,294

More
Quote:

Here you are. You can see the crack only when you look very closely. Don't know how to photograph this. When the screen is off you don't see nothing.

There's definitely more to this story that you aren't telling us.
19th May 2013, 02:08 PM |#11  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 450

More
Quote:

That's a cracked amoled and not the glass, which explains why you can't see anything with the screen off.

If you've ever seen an s3 / s4 amoled you'd know exactly how thin and fragile they are. Best way to explain it is like an egg shell. It breaks to bits when any pressure is exerted on it.

So it seems that pressure from your trousers has flexed the body and cracked the inner amoled screen.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to sxi200 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sxi200 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)