FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New Nook HD+ will not boot from SD card.

798 posts
Thanks Meter: 353

Post Reply Email Thread
I bought a Nook HD+ for the mothers day sale, booted CM10.1 from the SD card, and it ran fine for about a week. It ended up dying, so I had to exchange for a new one. Brought my new one home today, and it would not boot any of my bootable SD cards. I had 3 that worked on my old HD+, and none of them work on this new one. No clue, but thought I should warn you all. I'm now looking for a buyer of my brond new device as it's useless to me without root.
The Following User Says Thank You to kdb424 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdb424 Ad-Free

21st May 2013, 01:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
confirmed
my nook HD+ for the mothers day sale also has this problem. does the bootloader not boot from the sd any more?
21st May 2013, 04:37 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,870

Donate to Me
More
I have two devices. My old one boots to SD very reliably. My new one is very temperamental. But it will boot eventually. For me it just takes many, many tries. I finally got it to boot, did a nandroid backup, then flashed the emmc CM10.1 and the emmc CWM. So now I never have to boot to SD again with it. All flashing can be done with emmc CWM.

Edit: If you want to stay with stock and still be able to flash my mods, you can just flash the CWM that gets put on internal memory (emmc) so that you don't have to boot the SD CWM anymore. I made a custom version (6028) for internal memory. You can get it here or here. That just means it cannot be auto-updated to a new stock. After you install this internal memory CWM, you get to it by holding the n and power keys together on boot and releasing after a few seconds. It should boot to CWM. If you want a new update to stock, you would need to flash it manually with CWM. If you do update, you will need to re-flash the emmc CWM again immediately before re-booting since the update replaces CWM with stock recovery.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
21st May 2013, 06:51 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
My first one would boot almost every time. I have booted this one at least 30 times, and still a no go. Do you have more luck with the power cord in, or out?
21st May 2013, 06:55 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb424

My first one would boot almost every time. I have booted this one at least 30 times, and still a no go. Do you have more luck with the power cord in, or out?

Did not matter. Mine would not even turn on with the SD inserted. I just had to keep hard powering off with the SD inserted. You might try reburning with the newest Win32DiskImager from my link. Someone else said that helped.

The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
21st May 2013, 07:21 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
Been trying that. My last one would boot from SD like a champ. This one won't do it even once. Re-imaged my SD many times,many hard reboots. No luck.
21st May 2013, 07:27 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Boon trying that. My last one would boot from SD like a champ. This one won't do it even once. Re-imaged my SD many times,many hard reboots. No luck.

I know, I have the same issue. Some devices are just finicky. One boots right away and one balks. A warranty exchange maybe? Can't tell them really why though.

I got a brand new HD also and it boots fine. I think the slot hardware on the HD+ is really unreliable. I don't think B&N changed the booting software. Maybe try cleaning the contacts? Using a different card?

21st May 2013, 07:30 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

I know, I have the same issue. Some devices are just finicky. One boots right away and one balks. A warranty exchange maybe? Can't tell them really why though.

I got a brand new HD also and it boots fine. I think the slot hardware on the HD+ is really unreliable. I don't think B&N changed the booting software. Maybe try cleaning the contacts? Using a different card?

I literally just got this one on a warranty exchange yesterday. I don't think they will give me another. It's been 2 weeks since I bought my first one today. I may just return this one. It's more hassle than it's worth. I'll probably end up buying a chromebook in the end (for Linux)
21st May 2013, 07:33 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I literally just got this one on a warranty exchange yesterday. I don't think they will give me another. It's been 2 weeks since I bought my first one today. I may just return this one. It's more hassle than it's worth. I'll probably end up buying a chromebook in the end (for Linux)

I would definitely return it today. Buy another later and try it.

21st May 2013, 07:35 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I would definitely return it today. Buy another later and try it.

It was worth the $190 I spend on it if it was rootable, but I'm not buying one at $270 later. It was worth the run, but not that much cash.
22nd May 2013, 05:02 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Smile
great. I test again today. Another 8G Adata class4 microSD works! The newer shows more choosey about sd? Thanks, leapinlar!

Quote:

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)