FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did you learn anything you didn't know by reading this thread?

Yes

28 Vote(s)
71.79%
No

11 Vote(s)
28.21%

Updating Bootloaders? Please read this first

5,824 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,457

By mrhaley30705, Senior Member on 24th May 2013, 03:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since the new Jelly Bean bootloaders have shown up, I see a lot of people talking about updating them. There are a few things I would recommend to do when flashing them. The first is the small, but present, danger that you can hard brick your phone. And I mean the "Need jtag to make it work" hard brick. Typically the cause of these bricks is an error or interruption of communications between the device and the computer. The other is mismatched or outright improper bootloaders.

Below is a list of things to decrease the possibility of permaborking. Keep in mind that following this list will not 100% remove the danger of flashing bootloaders, but will increase the chances of a successful flash.

Flashing bootloaders is dangerous. They are one of the few things that has the possibility of hard bricking your phone. For that reason, here are some good things to do to prepare for flashing them.

Have a good, reliable data cable. Interruption of communication between your phone and pc will most likely cause a hard brick with bootloaders.

Use a usb port on the back of your computer (or #1 on a laptop). Communication, again.

Have a jig. Not much help if you hard brick, but if you soft brick its very nice to have.

I personally flash bootloaders from a good laptop with a fully charged battery. If there is a power outage, the battery in the laptop will have saved my phone.

When flashing bootloaders,or anything with Odin, don't touch your phone after you connect it in dl mode until the phone reboots. Goes back to the communication issue.

For problems/tips on connection issues, look HERE
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mrhaley30705 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrhaley30705 Ad-Free

24th May 2013, 11:50 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Georgia

Donate to Me
More
To determine which bootloader you have, check out this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.root_checker

To check your bootloader version
(thanks to KorGuy123 for the link)

For those that like to use Terminal Emulator, just type this:

HTML Code:
su
getprop ro.bootloader
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrhaley30705 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrhaley30705 Ad-Free
24th May 2013, 06:17 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,

I know this is close to impossible, but still want to bring it up to see if anyone here knows.

My s3's USB port seems damaged physically or something. It charges fine, but it always shows unrecognized USB device when connecting to PC. No matter it is in download mode or booted mode and how hard I try(install updated USB driver, change PC etc. )

No the question comes - can I upgrade boot loader without USB? If not I will be stuck with older version of cm10.1 for ever

TIA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
24th May 2013, 08:46 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlj1000

Hi,

I know this is close to impossible, but still want to bring it up to see if anyone here knows.

My s3's USB port seems damaged physically or something. It charges fine, but it always shows unrecognized USB device when connecting to PC. No matter it is in download mode or booted mode and how hard I try(install updated USB driver, change PC etc. )

No the question comes - can I upgrade boot loader without USB? If not I will be stuck with older version of cm10.1 for ever

TIA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

No, you need a usb port to do it. You might try using Heimdall, as it uses a different driver. If you use heimdall, you will need to do a lot of research as it operates a little differently than Odin.
24th May 2013, 09:00 PM |#5  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Flashing Bell Galaxy S3 Bootloader on AT&T phone
Would it be possible to flash a SGH-I747M (Bell) bootloader on a SGH-I747 (AT&T). I would like to have the option to toggle LTE off when I am in a non LTE area without going through the Network Control option discussed on xda, as I have been doing.
24th May 2013, 09:14 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Georgia

Donate to Me
More
If it's not the exact bootloader for your phone, don't flash it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrhaley30705 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrhaley30705 Ad-Free
25th May 2013, 12:57 PM |#7  
Flag Barrie
Thanks Meter: 866

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhaley30705

No, you need a usb port to do it. You might try using Heimdall, as it uses a different driver. If you use heimdall, you will need to do a lot of research as it operates a little differently than Odin.

Maybe use Mobile Odin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
25th May 2013, 01:10 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Georgia

Donate to Me
More
It is not recommended to write bootloader with Mobile Odin. Furthermore, it just won't do it:

From Chainfire:

All partitions are supported, as are loose files, .tar files and .tar.md5 files. Mobile ODIN will even check the MD5 signatures before flashing. While in theory Mobile ODIN can repartition and flash EFS and bootloaders, it will cowardly refuse to do so, for your own safety.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrhaley30705 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrhaley30705 Ad-Free
25th May 2013, 08:27 PM |#9  
Flag Barrie
Thanks Meter: 866

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhaley30705

It is not recommended to write bootloader with Mobile Odin. Furthermore, it just won't do it:

From Chainfire:

All partitions are supported, as are loose files, .tar files and .tar.md5 files. Mobile ODIN will even check the MD5 signatures before flashing. While in theory Mobile ODIN can repartition and flash EFS and bootloaders, it will cowardly refuse to do so, for your own safety.

Awesome, gotcha. Learn something new every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
26th May 2013, 04:46 AM |#10  
Flag campeche
Thanks Meter: 2

More
mi modelo is i747m telcel mexico which should flash
26th May 2013, 05:25 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obridgenut

Would it be possible to flash a SGH-I747M (Bell) bootloader on a SGH-I747 (AT&T). I would like to have the option to toggle LTE off when I am in a non LTE area without going through the Network Control option discussed on xda, as I have been doing.

I have no idea why you would have to do that. If you have your setting correct it will do it automatically. My does on Telus. Or did you follow some of the instuctions here and loaded a bad image to your phone. Best to flash a stock image to your phone that has been rooted and then use rom manger or goomanager to flash a recovery to your phone if you want one. I have a rooted stock rom and I no recovery as they are a waste of time. I used triangle to reset the trip and I can update OTA with no issues and it states my devise status is normal. I had used some other rom on my phone and it drained the battery all the time. Now it works like a charm. I can even use back track or other linux distro's on it,

As for the other guy having an issue, you can update your phone over Kies. Your issues sound like its a bad rom you put on your phone. And you can never brick your phone. Its what people to say to scare you to get you to use their methods.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloaders, galaxy s3, i747

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)