FORUMS

[Q] My Note 2 has died. Help?

149 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By jeanclaudevandamme, Senior Member on 24th May 2013, 10:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My Note 2 has just died It was getting surprisingly laggy at odd moments in the past week, but I didn't think anything was wrong. I was updating a lot of applications one after another tonight (music was playing but it was jumpy, i think because apps were updating so i stopped music) and people were messaging me on the facebook app so I could see the notification light flash green. I was busy on my laptop, so I ignored the phone about 10 mins.

The green light kept flashing, but the screen wouldn't turn on when i pressed home or power key. so i took the battery out from the back and reinserted it. It wouldn't switch on at all, no SGS Note 2, no Samsung logo. nothing at all except a little red light flashing where the infrared light is everytime i tried to turn it on.

I tried connecting it to my computer. nothing happened. recovery mode bootup also failed. I tried charging the phone, even though the battery wasn't empty, still wouldn't switch on during charger plugged in or pulled out. Took out SD/Sim, no effect. A new battery didn't help. The phone doesn't charge either, the charger makes a funny electrical whining noise and the infrared red light flashes every so often.

It's basically dead. What can I do? The phone is also rooted, I can't remember how (think it's original chainfire root? i got my phone last oct). Will Samsung be able to switch on my phone and discover it's rooted? Also I read somewhere that legally speaking if rooting didn't cause the failure, you're still covered by EU law?

I am in the UK, bought Note 2 off a 3rd party reseller (Buymobilephones) who provided a handset, and T-Mobile for the contract.

Thanks
24th May 2013, 10:53 PM |#2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanclaudevandamme

My Note 2 has just died It was getting surprisingly laggy at odd moments in the past week, but I didn't think anything was wrong. I was updating a lot of applications one after another tonight (music was playing but it was jumpy, i think because apps were updating so i stopped music) and people were messaging me on the facebook app so I could see the notification light flash green. I was busy on my laptop, so I ignored the phone about 10 mins.

The green light kept flashing, but the screen wouldn't turn on when i pressed home or power key. so i took the battery out from the back and reinserted it. It wouldn't switch on at all, no SGS Note 2, no Samsung logo. nothing at all except a little red light flashing where the infrared light is everytime i tried to turn it on.

I tried connecting it to my computer. nothing happened. recovery mode bootup also failed. I tried charging the phone, even though the battery wasn't empty, still wouldn't switch on during charger plugged in or pulled out. Took out SD/Sim, no effect. A new battery didn't help. The phone doesn't charge either, the charger makes a funny electrical whining noise and the infrared red light flashes every so often.

It's basically dead. What can I do? The phone is also rooted, I can't remember how (think it's original chainfire root? i got my phone last oct). Will Samsung be able to switch on my phone and discover it's rooted? Also I read somewhere that legally speaking if rooting didn't cause the failure, you're still covered by EU law?

I am in the UK, bought Note 2 off a 3rd party reseller (Buymobilephones) who provided a handset, and T-Mobile for the contract.

Thanks

I wish you a Good luck then.
24th May 2013, 11:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:

Thanks

How long ago did you buy the phone?
If you were rooted, were you on stock rom?
If yes, than which build were you on, do you remember?
I have heard of phones dying from sds, were you on an older rom. If that is the case, and if you have hard bricked your phone, AND if you are under warranty you need not fear...the guys at samsung wouldn't be able to open your phone either to check whether its rooted or not, you are covered. Your phone would require a motherboard rwplacement 8n that case. I hope you had backups.

Sent from my GT-N7100 or the Nexus 10, heaven knows.

Those who help noobs go to heaven. True story.
25th May 2013, 12:03 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGuru

How long ago did you buy the phone?
If you were rooted, were you on stock rom?
If yes, than which build were you on, do you remember?
I have heard of phones dying from sds, were you on an older rom. If that is the case, and if you have hard bricked your phone, AND if you are under warranty you need not fear...the guys at samsung wouldn't be able to open your phone either to check whether its rooted or not, you are covered. Your phone would require a motherboard rwplacement 8n that case. I hope you had backups.

I bought it at end of last october, 1st gen/batch of Note 2s to hit the UK (IMEI starts with 354.....

I was rooted. The first auto-root Chainfire method via Odin.

Stock samsung rom. Very earliest versions of software.

I basically bought the phone last year when it first came out, rooted it as soon as possible and then did nothing else except enjoying my phone and install new apps. Whatever people were rooting/flashing/roms/kernels etc at the end of last october when the note 2 first came out in the uk is what I would have been on. Never updated since.

I might sound a bit stupid, but does a motherboard change means you lose everything in internal storage? ie photos, texts, contacts etc. I have no backups of anything. my fault I know. And Samsung wont' detect root after motherboard has been changed?

When you say "hardbricked", do you just mean it wont' physically and electrically turn on? Because i didn't interrupt rooting/flashing etc.

I googled SDS for the Note 2. Seems there is an issue I can't think how else my phone would just die.
25th May 2013, 12:49 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:

I bought it at end of last october, 1st gen/batch of Note 2s to hit the UK (IMEI starts with 354.....

I was rooted. The first auto-root Chainfire method via Odin.

Stock samsung rom. Very earliest versions of software.

I basically bought the phone last year when it first came out, rooted it as soon as possible and then did nothing else except enjoying my phone and install new apps. Whatever people were rooting/flashing/roms/kernels etc at the end of last october when the note 2 first came out in the uk is what I would have been on. Never updated since.

I might sound a bit stupid, but does a motherboard change means you lose everything in internal storage? ie photos, texts, contacts etc. I have no backups of anything. my fault I know. And Samsung wont' detect root after motherboard has been changed?

When you say "hardbricked", do you just mean it wont' physically and electrically turn on? Because i didn't interrupt rooting/flashing etc.

I googled SDS for the Note 2. Seems there is an issue I can't think how else my phone would just die.

I think we know the cause now, its sds. Only roms and kernels which have been developed after January 2013 are free of this problem. As you had rooted very early you would not have recieved stock updates from samsung. And as you had not flashed anything new, the rom/kernel you used had the sds problem. Had you recieved stock updates or had you flashed any latest rom your device would most probably be working.
Now the good news is, as I said, samsung has no way of learning whether your phone was rooted or not. A soft brick is when your phone is in a bootloop. A hardbrick means it wont't turn on, won't do anything at all. Your phone is hardbricked in a way. So a samsung engineer would be as powerless to turn your phone on in this condition as you are. And thus, you would be under warranty.
The bad news is, yes, all the data on your internal storage is gone. The phone you would be provided would be a new factory reset model altogether. That is of course, if the problem is sds, as it seems right now. Even if the problem is different, something smaller, a factory reset is what you will get in all probability, so no chance of saving the data.
I am really sorry for your data, and I know it doesn't help when I play Captain Hindsight, but you should have made a titanium and nandroid backup at the very least. Do that for your next phone regularly. It is the most useful aspect of rooting your phone if you ask me.
Of course, I could be wrong here. The problem could be something smaller. I suggest you throw this problem @dr.ketan on this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1896696
He knows a lot more than I do and can confirm this.
Also, do press thanks if I helped

The Following User Says Thank You to SacGuru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SacGuru Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)