FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE FOR NOOBS] How to update XPERIA S to Android 4.1.2 JELLY BEAN | STEP by STEP

2,978 posts
Thanks Meter: 516

By gtrab, Senior Member on 30th May 2013, 04:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This question will be posted a dozen times across several threads, thus, I decided to write a step-by-step, fool proof, noob-oriented simple guide; if somebody asks "how to", please feel free to point him/her to this thread to avoid spamming the main discussion / development threads
If you have some experience and this is not your first time flashing go to POST 2 for a quick guide and some tips, without explanations and notes

STEP BY STEP GUIDE:
How to update the Sony Xperia S
to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Quote:

NOTICE 1: This guide will update your Xperia S from ANY previous version to OFFICIAL SONY JELLY BEAN ANDROID 4.1.2 (version 6.2.B.0.200, released May 30th 2013)

NOTICE 2: This guide is for WINDOWS PC USERS, if you have a Mac I can't help you, but the process is very similar

NOTICE 3: This update has nothing to do with SIM unlock, bootloader lock/unlock, root, etc. It doesn't matter if your phone is rooted or not, bootloader unlocked or not because it's the official firmware update

NOTICE 4: The internal SD card contents will NOT be deleted but everything else inside your phone will be reseted to factory defaults because this is a major update, so do a backup if you want to keep call logs, SMS etc. I only backup my SMS and Whatsapp messages, google backs up everything else because I have the backup option activated in settings

NOTICE 5: Your phone needs to be at least at 50% BATTERY CHARGE before updating ("flashing") the firmware. I recommend a full charge, just in case something happens and you need to do it again

STEP 1:
Download the Flashtool

You will find the installers here: http://androxyde.github.com/Flashtool/
Go to the "installation" tab, download Flashtool installer v0.9.11.0 and run it

You will have a new folder on your PC: c:\Flashtool

STEP 2:
Download the Jelly Bean firmware update

You will find a link to download the official firmware update here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2302419, download it, say "thanks" to Yakandu, and come back here

SOME NOTICES (I know you are gonna ask):
- That firmware is the plain Sony Generic firmware and works fine for ANY region and has ALL the languages and keyboards included
- The linked firmware is already prepared to be flashed via Flashtool in .FTF format. If you download the firmware from another source it may be compressed with RAR or ZIP ("zipped") and you may need to EXTRACT the .FTF file with WinRAR or ZIP or 7ZIP. if you don't have WinRAR download it from here: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

STEP 3:
Let's update the phone!

- Copy the firmware FTF file to c:\Flashtool\Firmwares
- Go to c:\Flashtool\Drivers and run "Flashtool-drivers.exe" to install the proper drivers for Xperia S
- After installing the USB drivers reboot your PC
- Go to c:\Flashtool and run "FlashTool" (run "FlashTool64" if you have Windows 64 bits)
- Click the flash button (yes: the thunder icon up left)
- Select "Flahsmode" and click "OK"
- Select the "LT26 6.2.B.0.200" FTF firmware and click "OK", DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE
(TIP: If your Flashtool version doesn't have the "OK" button then just double-click the FTF)
- Flashtool will prepare the files for flashing, just be patient
- A Window will pop up asking you to connect the phone in "Flashmode" showing instructions for an old Xperia phone: ignore it, here is how the Xperia S enters "Flashmode":

- Turn off the phone
- Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN key
- Keep it pressed, connect the USB cable to your PC
- Release the Volume Down key when phone's GREEN LED lights up
- Flashtool will start flashing automatically, let it finish to 100%, it takes some minutes

- Disconnect the USB cable when Flashtool reaches 100% and indicates flashing has finished giving some extra info about activating debugging mode etc (don't care, that's optional)
- Turn on your phone (press and hold the Power button until it vibrates or screen turns on)
- The first boot takes some minutes, don't worry let your phone prepare your Jelly Beans for you
- Have fun !!

Quote:

PS1: PLEASE REMEMBER TO SAY "THANKS" to Yakandu (for the FTF firmware) and Androxyde (for the Flashtool)

PS2: And the usual disclaimer, of course: Follow the steps and be careful, I am not responsible if you brick your phone, burn your house, blow your PC or miss the rapture because you followed this guide; I am just sharing what I did to update my own phone and it worked for me

The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to gtrab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gtrab Ad-Free
30th May 2013, 04:28 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag America

More
QUICK GUIDE

DIRECT STEPS TO FLASH THE FIRMWARE for more advanced/experienced users

- Download the FTF file of your choice
- Always check and get the latest Flashtool
- Install Flashtool
- Install drivers from C:\Flashtool\Drivers
- Copy FTF file to folder C:\Flashtool\Firmwares
- Launch Flashtool or Flashtool64 (depending on your system)
- Press the thunder icon
- Select "Flashmode" and click "OK"
- Choose the FTF
- Tick "No final verification" and click "Flash"
- Let it prepare the FTF file, it takes a couple of minutes

- When asked, power off phone
- Hold volume down button while connecting the USB cable. There you go. Flashtime: about 2 minutes

- Disconnect USB cable
- Power on the phone. First Boottime: about 3 minutes

- Enjoy

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gtrab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gtrab Ad-Free
30th May 2013, 04:57 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What drivers to download exactly ? I see drivers for ICS & GB only
The Following User Says Thank You to 3bdo_y For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 3bdo_y Ad-Free
30th May 2013, 05:14 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag America

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bdo_y

What drivers to download exactly ? I see drivers for ICS & GB only

Just use the drivers provided by flashtool in the drivers folder
These drivers are for your PC, not the phone
The Following User Says Thank You to gtrab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gtrab Ad-Free
30th May 2013, 06:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrab

Just use the drivers provided by flashtool in the drivers folder
These drivers are for your PC, not the phone

I have the latest version of flashtool (v 0.9.10.1). I am successfully able to flash any ICS ftf through it. But when i try to flash the .200 Jb firmware, I get an error in the flashtool (installation aborted) and it is asking for drivers. I guess its because the flashtool includes drives for ICS only?
The Following User Says Thank You to abhik2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abhik2012 Ad-Free
30th May 2013, 06:16 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag America

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik2012

I have the latest version of flashtool (v 0.9.10.1). I am successfully able to flash any ICS ftf through it. But when i try to flash the .200 Jb firmware, I get an error in the flashtool (installation aborted) and it is asking for drivers. I guess its because the flashtool includes drives for ICS only?

Drivers are for the PC, not the phone, it doesn't matter which android version you have on your phone.

My advice would be:

- Uninstall Flashtool
- Delete the flashtool folder
- Reinstall flashtool (make sure you really have the latest version)
- Try again

If you still can't flash, try Flashtool Beta6 and please report back
You can find Flashtool Beta6 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2162907
30th May 2013, 06:23 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
how about the option of wipe or don't wipe? ha've unchecked those options and no problem at all, just a litle laggy on the main screen
30th May 2013, 06:27 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
How do you root this JB version? I really want to root but have no idea how
30th May 2013, 06:42 PM |#9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Hi! I have installed this update and everything works accept for Play Store (Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped).
I did clean cash, rebooted few times, flashed different releases of JB but still can not get in Play Store.
30th May 2013, 07:11 PM |#10  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Prompt
What About Root?
any method to root it or we will have to wait?

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

What About Root?
any method to root it or we will have to wait?
30th May 2013, 07:12 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
ill assume that it is the same procedure for Acro S? Wil the update delete alternative launchers like Nova and delete the theme thats have been made?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gtrab, jelly bean, update, xperia s

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)