FORUMS

[ROM] Ouya Plus

812 posts
Thanks Meter: 463

By sonofskywalker3, Senior Member on 1st June 2013, 11:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is something I have wanted to do since we figured out how to flash CWM Recovery, it just took me a while to get it working right.

This is not an AOSP Rom, so don't expect a lot, it's just a flashable package that adds some stuff that the Ouya is missing. This is based on the Ouya 264 r1 software.

Changes from stock:
-Added apks - Busybox, Dropbox (should include a free 50gb upgrade), ES File Explorer, Nova Launcher, Pandora, Google Play Music, Superuser, Titanium Backup, and Youtube for Google TV
-Removed Kernel and Recovery flash from the installer

Bugs I have run into:
-OTA updates will still download and install. This will be fixed before the first stable release.

Instructions (shamelessly stolen from mybook4):
-You need CWM Recovery installed to flash this
-Do a backup in CWM before flashing (seriously, you'll have something to go back to if things go awry)
-Wipe cache
-Wipe dalvik cache
-Data wipe is optional, and comes with it's own set of instructions

This is a beta ROM, and I have spent a few hours in testing, but nothing can be fully tested by one individual. It is a flash at your own risk ROM. Don't flash it if you are afraid to break something. Please provide me any feedback or suggestions you have.

I wanted to include Hulu Plus and Netflix, but they don't like being flashed, so I'll add easy download links later. so you can sideload them yourselves, I'm about to head to dinner.

If you do wipe data I recommend for ease of setup that when it asks you which launcher you want to use on first boot, choose Ouya launcher then "only once" and run through the initial setup till you're at the main Ouya launcher screen. then hold down the "Ouya" button in the middle of the controller to simulate the "home" key, and choose Nova Launcher and "always". Enjoy!!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...OuyaPlusB6.zip
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sonofskywalker3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sonofskywalker3 Ad-Free
1st June 2013, 11:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
cool, if i actually manage to get CWM installed i may give this a try.
How much of a difference is there between this and ChickenStock?
2nd June 2013, 01:22 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
It's similar in that it's a stock based ROM, but Chickenstock is meant to be disaster recovery, a solid base for rom building, or an easy flash to add superuser permissions to the console, but keep the focus on the Ouya experience. I designed Ouya Plus to be a quick flash for people who want to add some additional functionality to their Ouya, to make it do more than the limited minds that designed it intended. This is an Android console, and every media application you could ever want is available for android, so why should we be denied pandora or netflix, just because the Ouya people want to lock down their "console" to only allow things bought off of their store to work?

I wanted to make an easy way to add extra media functionality and system tools to the Ouya, without everyone having to track down and sideload the .apks themselves. I'm working on an easy way to install some of the other apks that i've been having issues with, and I also want to Deodex this rom so that custom themes can be applied, but I've run into trouble every time I've tried to use an automatic tool, so I'm going to try the last one I know of (xultimate) on it, and then I'll resign myself to deodexing each app manually and see what happens.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonofskywalker3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sonofskywalker3 Ad-Free
3rd June 2013, 01:30 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
how exactly do you flash this to ouya?. I installed cwm recovery.
3rd June 2013, 02:33 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Once CWM is running, copy the zip to your internal storage, use adb or rom manager to reboot into recovery. The choose "install zip from sdcard", select the zip file from it's location, and it'll flash, then just reboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to sonofskywalker3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sonofskywalker3 Ad-Free
8th June 2013, 07:17 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Installed and loving it , thx to the OP.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app
8th June 2013, 01:52 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Nice
Installed via CWM - all working well but controlling some of the apps is a nightmare!

I've got RomToolbox Pro installed and it makes roobooting easier. I also installed MX pro but I can't get any control at all!
15th June 2013, 07:35 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofskywalker3

Dropbox (should include a free 50gb upgrade)

That's cool but how is that possible? And is it 50gb for 2 years?

Sent from my GT-I9300
15th June 2013, 08:04 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 372

More
Probably the SGS3 version of the Dropbox APK or something similar. If it is, then it's version 1.0 of the Dropbox, so it doesn't do well with mobile authentication, but if you disable that for 5 minutes, the 2 year (24 month officially, I believe) upgrade is probably worth the relatively minimal security risk.
17th June 2013, 08:36 PM |#10  
Flag portland, oregon
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thank you
I managed to install your ROM and so far I am enjoying it very much. I do want to let others know about my experience in dirty flashing this ROM. I wiped cache and Dalvik cache, but did not do a full wipe before flashing.

On the first boot i got a flood of force closures on the OUYA Launcher process. It almost made the system unusable as a new one came up as soon as i acknowledged the previous. After about a minute of this they started to ease up a bit and i could operate Android with around 1-2 force closes every minute. I went to settings->apps->All-> Ouya Launcher->Clear Data.

This immediately stopped the force close errors and the OUYA launcher still works.

Aside from this the only other observation i have is that the on screen pointer for my wireless mouse feels "smoother" than out of the box.

Ohh and thanks for the 50GB dropbox upgrade.
17th June 2013, 11:25 PM |#11  
Flag portland, oregon
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Okay, maybe i didn't notice at home last night because i was on Ethernet, but i took my OUYA to a different location with no Ethernet and realized that my wifi will not initialize.

http://pastebin.com/mt7V3zJj
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)