smali/baksmali is an assembler/disassembler for the dex format used by dalvik, Android's Java VM implementation. The syntax is loosely based on Jasmin's/dedexer's syntax, and supports the full functionality of the dex format (annotations, debug info, line info, etc.)
The names "smali" and "baksmali" are equivalents of "assembler" and "disassembler" respectively.
- Author of the tool
- Why we need it?
Android apk and jar files will include java classes to execute certain functionality. With baksmali, you will be able to disassemble the java classes into editable form (smalis) so you can do your editing and modding involving java script. Once you done changing, you need to assemble all classes to a readable form for android, i.e, classes.dex and here comes the role of assembler (Smali).
Since we have apk manager, do we still need this tool?
Yes and No!!! Because some apk managers even if they do support jar files but once they decompile smalis, they will remove some lines (.line, .parameter, ...etc) which are in my opinion are useful to locate some codes. So the choice is yours.
- What does this tool do?
Simply it baksmali classes.dex of android apk and jar files into editable form (smalis) to do your changes; then assemble it back (smali).
- Will it affect apk and jar original signature?
No, it will preserve original signature.
- Got problem?
During assembling (smali), you may got error message. You can check log file to locate what is wrong that make the manager stop assembling the file or post the log file for developers to look into it.
- What are the steps to work with this tool?
Run Baksmali_tool.bat file, this will create all needed folders in the first run.
1. Put android apk or jar file in "put-file-here" folder. If Current-file status is set to None, then either you need to set a file in option #3 or you forget putting valid file in "put-file-here" folder.
2. When Current-file status is set to your file, you can disassemble its classes.dex by option #1.
3. Classout folder with name of file project will be created in "project" folder; make your changes there.
4. If finished your changes, assemble classout folder by option #2.
5. If everything is OK, a new file will be created in "finish" folder with tag (Modded_) in its name, push it to your device by option #3 if it was system apk or jar; and if it was non system apk file, install it by option #4.
- Latest stable version
Latest stable baksmali/smali version: 2.2.2 (30.10.2017)
baksmali v. 2.2.2 - Download (bitbucket.org)
smali v. 2.2.2 - Download (bitbucket.org)
baksmali/smaly previous versions - Download (bitbucket.org)
- Latest beta version
Latest beta baksmali/smali version:
baksmali/smali wiki and changelog (github)
- Where can I download latest source code?
You can visit
baksmali/smali source page (github)
and you can download the latest smali and baksmali code versions.
- Special Thanks to XDA Portal Team
Special thanks to XDA Portal Team for featuring this utility
XDA Portal Team