FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

anyone still using the g1/dream.

297 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

By kidrobot52, Senior Member on 6th June 2013, 03:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
If so what are you using it for? Phone or other. Need ideas not going to throw it out due to its beautiful history.

6th June 2013, 04:32 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,344

Donate to Me
More
Post RE: anyone still using the g1/dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot52

If so what are you using it for? Phone or other. Need ideas not going to throw it out due to its beautiful history.

I'm afraid I'm also not using mine for anything, sitting a draw, but like you I'm definitely gonna keep onto it.

Alarm clock? You could get a 1.0 ROM or something and delete almost everything but the clock (and probably need a launcher for it).

Doorstop? It's pretty tough and chunky, and the chin might help.

A remote/Bluetooth keyboard for some other device, e.g. tablet. Idk how this would work, I've looked into it before but can't find answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to HTCDreamOn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HTCDreamOn Ad-Free
7th June 2013, 04:50 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Def sounds like a good idea for a remote. Maybe for you tube app on my TV or something other. Maybe give it to my daughter and tell her to have a ball.
9th June 2013, 06:28 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Funny, I just found one of these phones at a garage sale today..... Perhaps some resource-unintensive Linux distro could be ported to it and it could be used as a small Linux box.
14th June 2013, 04:58 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Still using mine as a WiFi hotspot. Since I have a free data only SIM with a volume monthly quota of 30GB
20th June 2013, 03:24 PM |#6  
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I'm using mine as a sacrificial phone when I'm kayaking. It's perfectly capable of calls, SMS, and MP3s still. The touchscreen works through a transparent drybag. I can be confident that if I should wind up in the water and the drybag should fail, it's no great loss.
8th September 2013, 07:58 PM |#7  
rockford,il
Thanks Meter: 377

More
Mine is with my 2 year old daughter. She play games on it ,really there is no other use.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
9th September 2013, 07:19 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
as a student living abroad, it hosts my sim card in my home country to receive sms from my parents, who are not good at smartphone stuff...
10th September 2013, 02:02 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
As a backup alarm clock!!!:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
14th September 2013, 03:07 PM |#10  

More
I was going to use it as a GPS and/or Speedometer, with no sim in it (on my motorcycle), but first i need to instal a power port! as the battery life sucks once i turn on gps....or the screen! :P
18th September 2013, 08:37 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot52

I want to use my G1 as a screen keyboard and mouse for my raspberry pi. It would be great if I could make it usb plug and play so I could just plug it into any pi and be off.

I'm using my old mytouch 4g as an IP camera. The g1's camera isn't as good but that's another idea.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)