Remove All Ads from XDA

Flexing and the touchscreen...

153 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By Mercury0660, Senior Member on 7th June 2013, 12:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
today, I noticed the following:
I speak german in the video but, in principle, I say that I twist the tablet slightly and the touchscreen responds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhGQvxi-dA

edit:
In a local store, I noticed the same on an WiFi version, I own the LTE Version.

7th June 2013, 01:30 PM |#2  
Flag Graz
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury0660

Hi,
I speak german in the video but, in principle, I say that I twist the tablet slightly and the touchscreen responds.

edit:

As I did on android-hilfe.de I confirm here that I also have this problem but it is not as apparent as it is in your case.
7th June 2013, 03:57 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 131

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattforchi

As I did on android-hilfe.de I confirm here that I also have this problem but it is not as apparent as it is in your case.

I experience it slightly too, don't see it as an issue though as it requires some severe force.
7th June 2013, 04:15 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 373

More
Quote:

Hi,

edit:

My advice: Do not twist it. Tablets are not made to be twisted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat McGowan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cat McGowan Ad-Free
7th June 2013, 07:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Hi,

edit:

The black 32GB Wifi version (North America) I received does exactly this and the backing is coming unstuck. Whether the screen flex would be as pronounce without that defect, I don't know but I'm very disappointed with Sony's quality assurance. It does make it feel flimsy.

I'm returning the tablet and am going to wait for the new wave of Tegra 4 tablets from other manufacturers.
7th June 2013, 08:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Most resistance against flexing is provided by sides so it will flex more then thicker devices , i think its obvious.
The touchscreen responsiveness shouldn't be happening but it requires quite a bit of force so in normal use its not an issue. I didn't even realise it exists up till now.
GL on your travels.
8th June 2013, 10:16 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Luckily I dont have this on my tablet z.

My xperia z however does and it gets annoying every once in a while.
9th June 2013, 03:12 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
This is a trade-off for the particularly thin build Sony pulled off here. My Archos does the same thing and is pushing on 3 years (granted, i don't use it much any more, but it got a lot of abuse in its day).

There are probably ways it could have been almost as light, almost as thin, and a whole lot stiffer - and possibly a good idea, too. But it is what it is. It's not a material defect, but a design decision - perhaps one not so good, but we won't likely know for a little bit...
9th June 2013, 06:25 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Guys, I am also getting the flex which is causing homescreen swipes and back button presses. I was using the Moko Slim Cover case from Amazon. The weight of the case while being held with only the right hand was causing MAJOR problems with unintentional screen presses/swipes. Now that I have removed the cover while I wait for a new one, it only happens once in a while.

I just ordered an Incipio Feather to see if the more rigid design will support the device and not allow it to twist. I only wish the Incipio Lexington had a wake/sleep magnet included.
12th July 2013, 09:56 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 425

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplec76

Guys, I am also getting the flex which is causing homescreen swipes and back button presses. I was using the Moko Slim Cover case from Amazon. The weight of the case while being held with only the right hand was causing MAJOR problems with unintentional screen presses/swipes. Now that I have removed the cover while I wait for a new one, it only happens once in a while.

I just ordered an Incipio Feather to see if the more rigid design will support the device and not allow it to twist. I only wish the Incipio Lexington had a wake/sleep magnet included.

You could probably cut the Moko open and observe the magnet placement and undo the Lexingtons stitches and place the magnets in it and redo the stitching. I am thinking about doing this myself because of the damn screen presses.

I wonder if putting it in the Feather and then in the Moko would stop the presses..... Time to order one!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium HD app
12th July 2013, 01:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shangrila500

You could probably cut the Moko open and observe the magnet placement and undo the Lexingtons stitches and place the magnets in it and redo the stitching. I am thinking about doing this myself because of the damn screen presses.

I wonder if putting it in the Feather and then in the Moko would stop the presses..... Time to order one!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium HD app

Yes, I have both the Feather and the Moko and they do work very well together. I do sometimes still get an unwanted screen swipe left or right, but it is very rare compared to when I first received the tablet and was using it bare.

I also just received the Poetic case which is more of an iPad type of case which I really like. However, Poetic covered up the charging port so you have to open the cover (The cover hinges at the bottom of the XTZ) to charge the XTZ unless you cut a portion of the cover away.

I really like this tablet, but the battery life is killing me. I would have rather Sony make the tablet twice as thick and put a >10,000mah battery inside. I'm looking heavily at a Nexus 10 at this point because it seems to have the best battery while still having a great screen, fast processor and 2GB memory. Initially the lack of an SD slot was a deal breaker, but I'm finding that Sony didn't allow a way to move apps to SD which basically makes my 64GB microSD sit empty since I purchased the tablet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)