FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Quake 3 Arena

167 posts
Thanks Meter: 187

Post Reply Email Thread
All,

Please find the attached binaries for the Windows RT version of ioQuake3 - http://ioquake3.org/

The pak files are not included, so you will need to follow the instructions on the ioQuake3 pages/wiki to install those.

Many thanks to windowsrtc for finding the D3D9 runtime and building the opengl wrapper. All of the necessary runtime binaries are also included in the package. You can also use these runtime files for my ports of Quake and Quake2 to enable much speedier opengl support. Performance in Quake3 is decent at approximately 30 fps on my Surface RT.

Enjoy!

EDIT: so, i ran across this video on youtube -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXZc0eDydtA -- which pointed out that connecting to internet servers might not be working quite right. I think it should all be fixed now, as I was able to connect to servers on the internet and frag some bots. Please download the 'rel2' binaries if you'd like a fix for this issue. Cheers!

EDIT2: bit of fail on my part, I had improperly named the D3D9 runtime file in the 'rel2' release. Fixed now. Sorry all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quake3.jpg
Views:	2790
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2074456  
Attached Files
File Type: 7z quake3_arm_rel2_d3dfix.7z - [Click for QR Code] (2.92 MB, 3015 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bfosterjr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bfosterjr Ad-Free

8th June 2013, 07:25 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,944

More
Thanks! Adding to the list.
8th June 2013, 10:16 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Anyone struggling to obtain quake 3 pak files, you can buy quake 3 on steam still and use the pak files from there or use OpenArena pak files which are free and a great alternative to the originals.
The Following User Says Thank You to SixSixSevenSeven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SixSixSevenSeven Ad-Free
8th June 2013, 04:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
very nice port.The Quake 3 engine is strong.
8th June 2013, 08:45 PM |#5  

More
I never had doubts that the RT could run ioquake3. Frankly if the raspberry pi could run quake3 then so can the RT. The 5th companion core in the tegra 3 I think is about as powerful as the pi on its own and thats meant to be an underpowered core compared to the main 4. Was just OpenGL standing in the way

I guess the most optimal solution performance wise (not that its needed when you have a nice playable 30fps) would be a directX rewrite of the ioquake3 render code but that would be soooo complicated (was done for the first quake and I think quake 2 though, both DX9 not 11).
14th June 2013, 03:26 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I got this error

Point Release files are missing. Please re-install the 1.32 point release.Also check that your Q3 executable is in the correct place and that every file in the baseq3 directory is present and readable. You need to install Quake III Arena in order to play

Any help ???
14th June 2013, 05:54 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarakura

I got this error

Point Release files are missing. Please re-install the 1.32 point release.Also check that your Q3 executable is in the correct place and that every file in the baseq3 directory is present and readable. You need to install Quake III Arena in order to play

Any help ???

Yea, I'm getting the same error.
14th June 2013, 10:33 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

I got this error

Any help ???

Did you actually bother putting the quake 3 PAK files in? Because thats what the error means. This is just the game engine, not the content. It is illegal for bjfoster to distribute the content too, you need to provide yourself by buying quake 3 on steam (its still there) or using the OpenArena files.
14th June 2013, 11:52 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 187

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I got this error

Any help ???

•Copy pak0.pk3 of your Quake3 CD (or from the demo) to the quake3/baseq3 directory.
•Download the Quake3 1.32 point release and copy pak1-pak8.pk3 to quake3/baseq3

that should be all u need to do
The Following User Says Thank You to bfosterjr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bfosterjr Ad-Free
15th June 2013, 12:39 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfosterjr

•Copy pak0.pk3 of your Quake3 CD (or from the demo) to the quake3/baseq3 directory.
•Download the Quake3 1.32 point release and copy pak1-pak8.pk3 to quake3/baseq3

that should be all u need to do

Thanks its working!!!! amazing!
17th June 2013, 11:41 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Please attach the source code to comply with the GPL
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)