FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tutorial] How To Root HTC Desire X Jelly Bean

231 posts
Thanks Meter: 74

By ReSkid, Senior Member on 9th June 2013, 12:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have seen that since the update notification for Jelly Bean has arrived, Many people (Including me) have been asking for a Tutorial to root the Jelly Bean updated HTC Desire X (HTC DX for short). In this tutorial I would like to mention the steps to root Android Jelly Bean (JB) on HTC DX.

UPDATE: Tutorial with Screenshots here : HTC Desire X Root

This was what had worked for me when I recently rooted by HTC Desire X with Jelly Bean Update, So I hope it works for you too. I am assuming you have just installed the OTA Update and are now sitting with a Stock Jelly Bean on your device.

Summary:

1. Unlock Bootloader (if not already unlocked).
2. Install Jelly Bean compatible Custom Recovery.
3. Flash Super User and Install Busy Box.
4. Enjoy.

Steps.

1. Unlocking Bootloader.

There is a fully explained thread on unlocking bootloader and rooting android ICS put up by user nlooooo, Follow that thread and unlock your bootloader.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2076675

2. Install Jelly Bean compatible Custom Recovery.

Once you update via OTA for the JB Update, Your HBoot becomes JB Hboot instead of the old ICS Hboot so you need a JB Hboot compatible Custom Recovery to flash the Super User and Root.

Our fellow user atis112 fixed the recovery by neXus PRIME to make it work with JB. So you need to download the JB Custom Recovery from the attachment and put it in your C Drive, So the file location would be C:\recovery.img

2.1] Download JB Recovery.img from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=66 OR You can use the TWRP Recovery Image made by Yasir. Download from here : http://d-h.st/tSc

2.2] Once you put it in C Drive you need to connect your HTC Mobile to PC and Install HTC JB Drivers, You can install the drivers from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2222501. Make sure you have installed the Drivers correctly.

2.3] Open your Android SDK (Download it from here if not already) and Go to the \sdk\platform-tools folder. If on Windows 7, Keep the Shift Key pressed + Right click on an empty place in the platform-tools folder > Open Command Window here.

2.4] Type in the following command and see if your device is detected.

Quote:

adb devices

After it is detected, Type the following command.

Quote:

adb reboot bootloader

Once you are in the bootloader, Type the following command.

Quote:

fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img

followed by

Quote:

fastboot reboot-bootloader

and

Quote:

fastboot erase cache

2.5] Now you have installed your custom recovery. Now Reboot your Phone.

3. Install SuperUser and Busybox.

3.1] Once again connect your HTC to PC, Download the attached SuperUser.zip and copy it to your SD Card.

3.2] Open the command prompt again as said earlier by going to platform-tools folder and using the adb devices command to check if the phone is detected.

3.3] Once it is connected, Type the following command.

Quote:

adb reboot recovery

3.4] Now you are in the recovery, Use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate it (Use the power button to select an option).

Navigate to Install Flashable Zip. (This should be the first option and already selected.)

Press Power Button once.

Select "Choose Zip from internal SD-Card" or "external SD-Card" accordingly as to where you put the Superuser.zip.

Press Power Button once.

Scroll and select the Superuser.zip using the Volume Keys.

Press Power Button once.

Then you have flashed your Zip successfully and you are rooted.

Go back to the Main screen using the "Go back" option. Select the "Reboot System Now".

Once you are in the HTC Main screen > Go to App Drawer > Google Play Store > Search for Busy Box and Install it.

That is it, You are now on Jelly Bean and Successfully Rooted.

To Check If You Are Rooted.

1. Open Playstore and search for an app named "Terminal Emulator".
2. Install it.
3. Open it and type in su and execute it.
4. You will get a prompt from Superuser to allow or deny > Allow it.

If you get that prompt, You are successfully rooted.

I hope I have provided credits to all the users whose threads I have mentioned. If not please let me know.

Thanks for reading this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Superuser.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.08 MB, 8584 views)
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to ReSkid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ReSkid Ad-Free

9th June 2013, 01:56 PM |#2  
Flag Lahore, Pakistan
Thanks Meter: 4,469

More
Or you can refer to my TWRP for JB. Its much better than the fixed neXusRecovery.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neXus PRIME For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neXus PRIME Ad-Free
9th June 2013, 04:06 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Hey, I didn't check that.. Can you give a link to the recovery?
9th June 2013, 04:08 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 20,562

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid.Anoop

Hey, I didn't check that.. Can you give a link to the recovery?

Here: http://d-h.st/tSc

xpirt
9th June 2013, 04:18 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpirt

Here: http://d-h.st/tSc

xpirt

Done. Added it to the post. Thanks Yasir and Xpirt
9th June 2013, 07:04 PM |#6  
Flag Lahore, Pakistan

More
Smile
Quote:

Done. Added it to the post. Thanks Yasir and Xpirt

1 more little thing.
I think the instructions in recovery are using vol up down and power buttons. But if im not mistaken,, both my recoveries you mentioned are Touch enabled. So actually no need to bash the crappy volume buttons (i really hate these volume buttons due to bad tactile feedback)
9th June 2013, 07:07 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neXus PRIME

1 more little thing.
I think the instructions in recovery are using vol up down and power buttons. But if im not mistaken,, both my recoveries you mentioned are Touch enabled. So actually no need to bash the crappy volume buttons (i really hate these volume buttons due to bad tactile feedback)

Actually I used the CWM Modded Recovery using Vol rockers only assuming it wasn't touch enabled due to its User Interface. The TWRP one is touch enabled. Are you sure the fixed recovery is touch enabled? As I don't want to flash the old recovery once again to test it.
9th June 2013, 07:13 PM |#8  
Flag Lahore, Pakistan

More
Smile
Quote:

Actually I used the CWM Modded Recovery using Vol rockers only assuming it wasn't touch enabled due to its User Interface. The TWRP one is touch enabled. Are you sure the fixed recovery is touch enabled? As I don't want to flash the old recovery once again to test it.

Both my recoveries are touch enabled.
1. TWRP (JB)
2. neXusRecovery. (discontinued for updates)

I'm not really a fan of buttons.
The Following User Says Thank You to neXus PRIME For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neXus PRIME Ad-Free
9th June 2013, 07:14 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes, also fixed recovery is touch enabled: you mean the nexus Recovery, right?

xpirt
9th June 2013, 07:17 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpirt

Yes, also fixed recovery is touch enabled: you mean the nexus Recovery, right?

xpirt

Yes, Thanks for letting me know. Also is there any method to unlock the write protection in JB? I think the JB Sources are not released yet but any workaround?
9th June 2013, 07:19 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes, Thanks for letting me know. Also is there any method to unlock the write protection in JB? I think the JB Sources are not released yet but any workaround?

I think ckpv5 found a way. Just think.

xpirt
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
rooting htc desire x jelly bean, rooting jb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)