FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 9 Lite

[ROM]Ubuntu Touch on RK29 tablets

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By fr3ts0n, Junior Member on 10th June 2013, 10:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
A new port of Ubuntu Touch just has arrived for RK2918 based tablets.

The first version of the RK29 port is released on CrewRkTablets (crewrktablets.arctablet.com) now.

Custom kernels are currently available for following devices:
* Odys LooxPlus
* Odys Loox
* Odys Next
* Odys Xpress

I would like to encourage you to install it on your RK29 tablet and let me know your experiences and opinion about the system.
* Pros / Cons compared to Android
* UI Usability
* Performance
* etc.

Be aware, it's on your own risk.

Update availabe (V0.1.2):
Changes:
* Corrected initial boot behaviour after RkDevelopTool (automatic boot into CWM)

The installation guide (Installation_Guide_RK29.pdf) is contained the package (CrewRkTablets_RK29_UbuntuTouchPreview_V0.1.0).
Please read ist carefully before starting the installation.

Please request for new custom kernels ONLY if you are willing to provide me with a hardware sample of the intended target device.
(Doing kernels remotely without a sample device available is just too ineffective ) Thx

Thx for your inputs
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fr3ts0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fr3ts0n Ad-Free

12th June 2013, 02:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ts0n

* Odys LooxPlus
* Odys Loox
* Odys Next
* Odys Xpress

I have added to our download section the following additional testkernels;
crewrktablets_kernel_308_arnova-an8cg3_201306112347_ubuntu_touch_V1.7z
crewrktablets_kernel_308_bq-kepler2_201306112347_ubuntu_touch_V1.7z
crewrktablets_kernel_308_bq-pascal2_201306112347_ubuntu_touch_V1.7z
crewrktablets_kernel_308_hyundai-h900_201306112347_ubuntu_touch_V1.7z
crewrktablets_kernel_308_M820c3G_201306112347_ubun tu_touch_V1.7z
crewrktablets_kernel_308_odys-neox7_201306112347_ubuntu_touch_V1.7z
crewrktablets_kernel_308_odys-neox8_201306112347_ubuntu_touch_V1.7z

Please give feedback!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JochenKauz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JochenKauz Ad-Free
12th June 2013, 06:58 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
not working
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ts0n

A new port of Ubuntu Touch just has arrived for RK2918 based tablets.

The first version of the RK29 port is released on CrewRkTablets (crewrktablets.arctablet.com) now.

* Odys LooxPlus
* Odys Loox
* Odys Next
* Odys Xpress

I would like to encourage you to install it on your RK29 tablet and let me know your experiences and opinion about the system.
* Pros / Cons compared to Android
* UI Usability
* Performance
* etc.

Thx for your inputs

does not work for Prestigio pmp5097cpro tried all the kernels, maybe we should describe in detail the installation process?
12th June 2013, 09:04 PM |#4  

More
does not work on my Vivax TPC-7120

Maybe is some my mistake during instalation becouse almost every custom rom i tried on this device didnt work. Only rom i can normaly install is from some Titan tablet (4.0.3)

When i finishinstalation with RKDevelopTool, tablet freeze on boot (on blue "Odys LOOX Plus" spalsh screen).
13th June 2013, 07:58 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Not working on odys loox/approx cheesecake v1
13th June 2013, 08:54 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Wait a minute.
What did you flash?
1. you need special kernel for ubuntu touch, a normal Android kernel, eg stock rom kernel, does not work.
2. you need a working kernel from the above list for your tablet, and if it is not a Odys Loox Plus, you have to change this, as mentionend in the manual.
3. if your tablet meets not the points 1 and two, we could look if we can compile a custom one, but sources would be needed.
13th June 2013, 09:49 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenKauz

Wait a minute.
What did you flash?
1. you need special kernel for ubuntu touch, a normal Android kernel, eg stock rom kernel, does not work.
2. you need a working kernel from the above list for your tablet, and if it is not a Odys Loox Plus, you have to change this, as mentionend in the manual.
3. if your tablet meets not the points 1 and two, we could look if we can compile a custom one, but sources would be needed.

Use kernel of Odys Loox and not working. Not boot ubuntu.
13th June 2013, 10:36 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by magio081

does not work on my Vivax TPC-7120

Maybe is some my mistake during instalation becouse almost every custom rom i tried on this device didnt work. Only rom i can normaly install is from some Titan tablet (4.0.3)

When i finishinstalation with RKDevelopTool, tablet freeze on boot (on blue "Odys LOOX Plus" spalsh screen).

HI magio081,
Thanks for your post. It really helps if a reply contains details as yours does.
This sounds very likely as your device tries to boot into the system rather than into the CWM-recovery right after the RKDevelopTool programming.
Please try to boot it into CWM manually by pressing M-Button at startup without power supply being connected.
If the device comes up in CWM you can continue the installation as described in the installation guide.

For all the others: Please post some details: what steps have been done, what did you see up to this point and what do you see currently. (A blank screen with background light on may identify a different cause than just a black screen). I'm glad to help you through the installation, but I will need to read some details on your situation. Thx
13th June 2013, 10:46 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexitler

does not work for Prestigio pmp5097cpro tried all the kernels, maybe we should describe in detail the installation process?

Testing through all kernels is a rather dangerous sequence.
Do you know what listed device your tabelt is compatible with?
Did you go through all the installation steps listed in the installation guide? (the pdf document which is part of the package)
Please could you describe in detail, what your device did/does show on the screen at each step of the installation?
13th June 2013, 10:49 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenKauz

Wait a minute.
What did you flash?

OK. I think im missing here something huge. Lets start from very start:

About tablet
model number: TR720F
Kernel: dong@dong #735
Firmware: 720F_RT5621_GT811&818_RTL8188_AT28_GC0307_MT9D112_ CAT6611_TP01_OTG
Build no.: RK2918_ANDROID4.0.3-SDK_V2.10_20120205

Stock rom was 2.3 i upgraded on 4.0.3 with some RKBatchTool what i found for some simular Titan tablet. On that rom tool i have only one file to select - update.img. And all work perfect (ex. camera).

how i tryed to install ubuntu touch

1. copy raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip & CrewRKTablets_AOSP_4.2.2_Format_NAND_Fix.zip to sd

2. copy kernel.img (kernel_308_odys_loox_plus_ubuntu_201306091043_Ubu ntuTouch_V1) to rockdev/kernel.img

2a. check all 7 programming parts

3. turn off tablet, hold M button and connect to cable (status: found RKAndroid loader rock usb)

4. eraseIDB (status: erasing IDB OK)

5. Run (status: size 471059, written & checked, download file ok, elapsed (144110MS))

6. Tablet start blue odys screen and freeze on that.
13th June 2013, 10:56 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega-samu

Use kernel of Odys Loox and not working. Not boot ubuntu.

Knowing that the cheesecake is compatible with the Loox, you are correct to use the Loox kernel.
Please could you also post what parts of the installation you have finished, and waht your device dis/does show on the screen.

@all who have similar problems:
Please try to post as many details as possible on your proiblem: What steps have been performed? what did you see on the display? etc.
Please also try to access the device via USB and try to do a 'adb logcat' and 'adb shell dmesg' from shell or windows command line.
If you can post any of these outputs, this helps for problem analysis.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)