What will you get after the Droid 3?

Search This thread

PassingThruLife

Jun 6, 2012
I'm using the Droid 3 on At&t along with the $10 MediaNet plan,it's a downgrade for me coming from a Galaxy Note i717 so my objective is to save money since I dont feel like paying $30 for a At&t data plan.

I'd like to get another slider phone but the Droid 4(plus it still doesnt work on domestic gsm networks) doesnt seem like that much of an upgrade and the Photon Q GSM hack seems too complicated.

I might just stay with the Droid 3 indefinitely and get a Nexus to replace my iPad and give me my Android fix.

I really wish there was an official version of ICS for the Droid 3 at least,oh well.

Alowbman

Jan 14, 2012
I just moved to the Galaxy S4 from the Droid 3. I have always ha slider keyboards, so I was worried about how I would do with out it. I haven't missed it at all! Don't miss my Droid 3.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

doogald

May 27, 2010
I just moved to the Galaxy S4 from the Droid 3. I have always ha slider keyboards, so I was worried about how I would do with out it. I haven't missed it at all! Don't miss my Droid 3.

What is the battery life like? I'm a couple of months from my upgrade date; I'm thinking of either the S4 or the Razr Maxx HD, mostly for the huge battery, though I'm worried about the age of the device and it's possible upgrade future going forward...

Alowbman

Jan 14, 2012
I am a medium user. Email, text, web most of the day. Battery is great. I unplug charger when I get up at 5:30am and battery is usually at 45% when I go to bed at 11pm. Usually on Wi-Fi at work and at home. Love the phone.

Reactions: doogald

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
I'm not a fan of large screen devices so I'm waiting for a few smaller devices that are coming out sometime this year, the Galaxy S4 Mini, the HTC One Mini and the Motorola X Phone. I've given up on QWERTY devices since they don't really make them anymore and I've gotten used to soft keyboards.

doogald

May 27, 2010
I am a medium user. Email, text, web most of the day. Battery is great. I unplug charger when I get up at 5:30am and battery is usually at 45% when I go to bed at 11pm. Usually on Wi-Fi at work and at home. Love the phone.

That's pretty much what happens with my Droid 3 with the extended battery right now, same WiFi connectivity for me. The wrench in the works is that when I'm in a bad signal area - and I am for a good part of the summer (with no LTE, either) - my phone will end up at about 25% by the end of the day at best. And I understand that the Samsung radios are not as good as Motorola's, so it may be even worse...

So, that sort of battery life is a bit discouraging.

Alowbman

Jan 14, 2012
Radio seems strong. I have a really good signal and its lightning fast. Too bad about your signal area. I have had the phone off of charger since 5:00 this morning. It is now 10:00pm. I am at 60%. Pretty consistent use today.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

PassingThruLife

Jun 6, 2012
Never going to he happen. I waited as long as I could!

Yea,I kind of figured. The phone is going on 2 years of life which in the phone industry means its dead lol.

That's pretty much what happens with my Droid 3 with the extended battery right now, same WiFi connectivity for me. The wrench in the works is that when I'm in a bad signal area - and I am for a good part of the summer (with no LTE, either) - my phone will end up at about 25% by the end of the day at best. And I understand that the Samsung radios are not as good as Motorola's, so it may be even worse...

So, that sort of battery life is a bit discouraging.

The extended battery annoys me,no matter what app I use it,it never shows the correct status.It will go down to 5% and stay there for hours even with moderate usage.

doogald

May 27, 2010
The extended battery annoys me,no matter what app I use it,it never shows the correct status.It will go down to 5% and stay there for hours even with moderate usage.

I have the official Moto extended battery (BF6X) - I think it's 1880 mAh - and the battery meter works fine with it.

Radio seems strong. I have a really good signal and its lightning fast. Too bad about your signal area. I have had the phone off of charger since 5:00 this morning. It is now 10:00pm. I am at 60%. Pretty consistent use today.

Ok, sounds good. I'm sure that I'd find a way to make that work. My use case is I think close to what you described, and I'm already altering some things when I know I'm in a bad signal area.

Dakkaron

Jan 13, 2013
Not another Motorola again. The Droid 3 was my first Motorola and it was the WORST phone I ever had. Random reboots multiple times a day, keyboard that just decides to go AWOL on me, locked bootloader. Never again.

The Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere 2 looks interesting though.

Anthrax79

Jan 12, 2008
Raleigh
If they release the HTC One for verizon, that is my next phone. I want to stay with a slider, but the D4 is too old already and will be at EOL soon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cobravnm13

Apr 12, 2012
If I'm able to soon it will be between the Galaxy S4 (hopefully the Google experience edition) or the Moto X phone.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

joefuf

Jun 22, 2010
Thanks to the data plan changes by Verizon, I'm tied to 3G for a little while until I'm making more money. I tend to go through 2 or 3 phones in a 2-year stint, which means I would need to buy one through them in order to have the protection plan.

I've enjoyed my phones with physical keyboards, so hopefully I will have an option when my contract is up.

donjoe0

Mar 21, 2013
I'm waiting for Motorola's Project Ara to bring something to market, hopefully with a physical QWERTY option. If my Droid 3 fails me until then, I will probably go for a Droid 4, but under no circumstance am I considering any touchscreen-only device as an acceptable substitute.

The only way text input interfaces could get more usable for me compared to the physical keyboard is if they made a neural interface that could translate thought directly into text. This touchscreen-only nonsense? Just an episode of temporary market insanity. :)

doogald

May 27, 2010
I'm waiting for Motorola's Project Ara to bring something to market, hopefully with a physical QWERTY option. If my Droid 3 fails me until then, I will probably go for a Droid 4, but under no circumstance am I considering any touchscreen-only device as an acceptable substitute.

The only way text input interfaces could get more usable for me compared to the physical keyboard is if they made a neural interface that could translate thought directly into text. This touchscreen-only nonsense? Just an episode of temporary market insanity. :)

To be honest, I think I am far more accurate typing landscape with Swiftkey than I ever was on the D3 keyboard.

It would be nice if somebody made a relatively high-end KB phone going forward, though.

donjoe0

Mar 21, 2013
To be honest, I think I am far more accurate typing landscape with Swiftkey

It's not even the accuracy for me, I just can't stand being forced to give up on continued visibility of the page I'm replying to just because the damned "soft keyboard" has no other place to get itself displayed except all over the content I'm trying to interact with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.