FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Guide] [RAM EXPANDER swap] Easiest Way To Increase Ram in Galaxy Y

87 posts
Thanks Meter: 204
 
Post Reply Email Thread
NOTE:
This Wont Increase Your Real Ram Because RAM is a Hardware . So It wont show u as 512 MB or 256MB in Task manager.

READ STUFF:

RAM
What is RAM
Random Access Memory (RAM) is temporary data storage that the CPU uses during calculations. The more RAM a device has, the more calculated results the CPU can store - which means less time the CPU has to do the same thing over and over again. In other words, the CPU can check RAM to see if it has already made a particular calculation in the recent past. If it has, it can use the pre-computed results instead of wasting processing time recomputing the same calculation. In short, more RAM means a more efficient (and faster) device.
SWAP

What is SWAP
Swap is, in short, virtual RAM. With swap, a small portion of the hard drive is set aside and used like RAM. The computer will attempt to keep as much information as possible in RAM until the RAM is full. At that point, the computer will begin moving inactive blocks of memory (called pages) to the hard disk, freeing up RAM for active processes. If one of the pages on the hard disk needs to be accessed again, it will be moved back into RAM, and a different inactive page in RAM will be moved onto the hard disk ('swapped'). The trade off is disks and SD cards are considerably slower than physical RAM, so when something needs to be swapped, there is a noticeable performance hit.
Unlike traditional swap, Android's Memory Manager kills inactive processes to free up memory. Android signals to the process, then the process will usually write out a small bit of specific information about its state (for example, Google Maps may write out the map view coordinates; Browser might write the URL of the page being viewed) and then the process exits. When you next access that application, it is restarted: the application is loaded from storage, and retrieves the state information that it saved when it last closed. In some applications, this makes it seem as if the application never closed at all. This is not much different from traditional swap, except that Android apps are specially programed to write out very specific information, making Android's Memory Manager more efficient that swap.


INCREASE RAM USING SWAP FILE .
Many New bees told me the method by Sir CarlDeanCatabay is tougher .


Hi Guys , our Galaxy y is Cursed with a 289MB Ram which is poor for Multitasking and gaming.
Here we are going to see about Creating a swap which will move background running pages to swap file and gives the fore ground running apps a free space to work smoothly.
I have searched the Play Store and found the exact app for this process.
ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP) APP
Quote:

To get the app Google as "ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP) APP"
This is not Warez.

Quote:

Advantages of this app:
- Free SD card memory as a RAM use (SWAP RAM / SWAP MEMORY)
- Swapfile RAM expansion up to 4.0 GB (file system limit)
- No limit on SWAP partition!
- The usual performance degradation when paged not occur with sd card from class-8
- Widget for PNP swap (swap on / off swap)
- Detailed Memory Information & Analysis
- Autorun
- Swappiness kernel parameter set
- Easy foolproof use
(1 click optimization and automatic calculation)
- Supporting Tung all Android devices (root access and Kernelswap support)

Things needed:
  1. Root permission
  2. A Custom kernel with Swap support. (Check the XDA post of your kernel)
  3. No Partition required
  4. A Sd card of minimum class 4 ( Tweaked ) [Recommended:For best results , use a higher class Sd card}
  5. Before asking doubt's please read the FAQ's section.
Procedure:
  1. Install The App (ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP) )
  2. Give Root Permission and Select your language.
  3. Use the SWAP FILE Slider and select the amount of partition you want. (may be 100-250 MB)
  4. Use SWAPPINESS Slider : By setting the swappiness value, you can control the behavior of the kernel, the higher the value the more is outsourced.(Rec:60)
Final step: Tick AUTO RUN and SWAP ACTIVE and it take some time creatin SWAP file according to size you selected (only for the first time)
That's it....

FAQ's
1.Where wil be the Swap file Created ?
A Swap file will be present in your SD card after creating the Swap. ( Do not Delete it)
2.My SD card Class is low , any solutions ?
*Actually we only tried this app with Class 6 and got good results
*Do me a favour by testing with Class 4 sd card and make a comment here
*soln: Use SD booster app |APK link | Play store link|
3.Whether this method support my kernel ?
*SWAP support is must for this method . Check your kernel thread whether it supports swap or not.
4.Whether my Swap is active or it's fake one ?
Need: Terminal Emulator
  1. Go to the terminal emulator
  2. type "free" and enter
A] If it looks like this (with zeros in the swap line), you do not have swap:


B] If it looks like this (with anything other than zeros in the swap line), you have swap active:


TroubleShooting:
  1. Take a backup of App ( You can use it any time , u want)
  2. Uninstall the App
  3. Check The Sd card whether the Swap file deleted, if not delete it.
  4. A Reboot
  5. You are good to go now...
Caution:
  1. Dont delete the Swap file before uninstalling the app.

Conclusion
  1. Comparing with partion method, this method is quiet easy and Simple.
  2. This will help you in Multi tasking.
  3. For better Ram management use Tweaks

MUST READ (Senior Members):
U Can try this app but THIS POST IS MAINLY MEANT FOR USERS WHO HAD SUCCESS or TRIED , Sir Carl Dean Cantabay's Method.
So Dont give your bad views on it. CarlDean Catabay's post is a PORTAL thread[popular}
thread link

Credits:
  1. Jesus Christ for All
  2. ROEHSOFT devs for Ram Expander App
  3. Sir CarlDeanCatabay for Idea,OriginalThread
  4. Daniel Mehrmann (Akusari) for SD Booster


IF U GO ANY WHERE WRONG , ANY DOUBTS , ANY SUGGESTIONS , IDEAS DON'T HESITATE TO TELL US
Give credits to the devs who work hard to make our life easier by thanking and donating.

Quote:

KINDLY PRESS 'THANKS' BUTTON IN THE LEFT BOTTOM OF THIS POST
IT WILL ENCOURAGE ME IN FURTHER POSTS

The Following 95 Users Say Thank You to Samuel IP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Samuel IP Ad-Free
 
 
12th June 2013, 05:08 PM |#2  
Samuel IP's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Coimbatore,India
Thanks Meter: 204
 
More
I got this in a Facebook group where i shared it. Proof : Here
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samuel IP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Samuel IP Ad-Free
vale amicis
12th June 2013, 05:55 PM |#3  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Will try and report

-Reserved- For Report
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
12th June 2013, 07:15 PM |#4  
Samuel IP's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Coimbatore,India
Thanks Meter: 204
 
More
Check This a succesful User
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post42499606
Check the above post for advanced Settings of the app to get more speed and perform better
The Following User Says Thank You to Samuel IP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Samuel IP Ad-Free
Leumas PI
12th June 2013, 09:16 PM |#5  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thumbs up Exactly What i needed.
First of all I'm not new bee....
I tried this app before in my Galaxy S2 but i had good enough ram in my mobile.
Now i tried it in my galaxy y according to your instruction and whao !!! my Galaxy Y is laggless and Multitasking is great
What i did is
Swap 300MB and swappiness to 60
and my phone was like butter smooth !
I can open 5 apps multitasking at a time without killed
Those 5 apps r opera mobile,Pes12,office suite,Youtube,Music etc..,
Thanks fella for your Guide
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
Phone : Samsung galaxy Y
Rom : Stock Rom [DXMA1 Indonesian]
Kerne : Savie #2 kernel
No Tweaks only Xperia Nxt Mod v2
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
13th June 2013, 09:04 AM |#6  
LetJect's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag sonesangavi
Thanks Meter: 194
 
More
Nyc...
It works sem as guied by CarlDeanCatabay.......

Sent from my GT-S5360
The Following User Says Thank You to LetJect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LetJect Ad-Free
13th June 2013, 10:27 AM |#7  
Samuel IP's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Coimbatore,India
Thanks Meter: 204
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetJect

Nyc...
It works sem as guied by CarlDeanCatabay.......

Sent from my GT-S5360

Thank You for your Positive Reply .
13th June 2013, 06:10 PM |#8  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Info 2 Suggestion.
Quote:

Things needed:
Root permission
No Partition required
A Sd card of minimum class 4 ( Tweaked may be) [For best results , use a higher class Sd card}


good work
Carl Dean cantabay's method stated we need a Custom kernel Which Supports swap.
But u didnt mention about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jeyaraj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Paul Jeyaraj Ad-Free
13th June 2013, 06:15 PM |#9  
Samuel IP's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Coimbatore,India
Thanks Meter: 204
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jeyaraj

good work
Carl Dean cantabay's method stated we need a Custom kernel Which Supports swap.
But u didnt mention about that.

Sorry Sir my Mistake.
A kernel with swap support is a must . (Merruk, Savie etc..,)
I will add it.
14th June 2013, 06:23 AM |#10  
abhishekr700's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 699
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel IP

NOTE:
This Wont Increase Your Real Ram Because RAM is a Hardware . So It wont show u as 512 MB or 256MB in Task manager.

READ STUFF:


RAM
What is RAM
Random Access Memory (RAM) is temporary data storage that the CPU uses during calculations. The more RAM a device has, the more calculated results the CPU can store - which means less time the CPU has to do the same thing over and over again. In other words, the CPU can check RAM to see if it has already made a particular calculation in the recent past. If it has, it can use the pre-computed results instead of wasting processing time recomputing the same calculation. In short, more RAM means a more efficient (and faster) device.
SWAP

What is SWAP
Swap is, in short, virtual RAM. With swap, a small portion of the hard drive is set aside and used like RAM. The computer will attempt to keep as much information as possible in RAM until the RAM is full. At that point, the computer will begin moving inactive blocks of memory (called pages) to the hard disk, freeing up RAM for active processes. If one of the pages on the hard disk needs to be accessed again, it will be moved back into RAM, and a different inactive page in RAM will be moved onto the hard disk ('swapped'). The trade off is disks and SD cards are considerably slower than physical RAM, so when something needs to be swapped, there is a noticeable performance hit.
Unlike traditional swap, Android's Memory Manager kills inactive processes to free up memory. Android signals to the process, then the process will usually write out a small bit of specific information about its state (for example, Google Maps may write out the map view coordinates; Browser might write the URL of the page being viewed) and then the process exits. When you next access that application, it is restarted: the application is loaded from storage, and retrieves the state information that it saved when it last closed. In some applications, this makes it seem as if the application never closed at all. This is not much different from traditional swap, except that Android apps are specially programed to write out very specific information, making Android's Memory Manager more efficient that swap.


INCREASE RAM USING SWAP FILE .
Many New bees told me the method by Sir CarlDeanCatabay is tougher .


Hi Guys , our Galaxy y is Cursed with a 289MB Ram which is poor for Multitasking and gaming.
Here we are going to see about Creating a swap which will move background running pages to swap file and gives the fore ground running apps a free space to work smoothly.
I have searched the Play Store and found the exact app for this process.
ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP) APP




Things needed:
  1. Root permission
  2. A Custom kernel with Swap support. (Check the XDA post of your kernel)
  3. No Partition required
  4. A Sd card of minimum class 6 ( Tweaked may be) [For best results , use a higher class Sd card}
Procedure:
  1. Install The App (ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP) )
  2. Give Root Permission and Select your language.
  3. Use the SWAP FILE Slider and select the amount of partition you want. (may be 50-250 MB)
  4. Use SWAPPINESS Slider : By setting the swappiness value, you can control the behavior of the kernel, the higher the value the more is outsourced.
Final step: Tick AUTO RUN and SWAP ACTIVE and it take some time creatin SWAP file according to size you selected (only for the first time)
That's it....

FAQ's
1.Where wil be the Swap file Created ?
A Swap file will be present in your SD card after creating the Swap. ( Do not Delete it)
2.Whether my Swap is active or it's fake one ?
Need: Terminal Emulator
  1. Go to the terminal emulator
  2. type "run" and enter
A] If it looks like this (with zeros in the swap line), you do not have swap:


B] If it looks like this (with anything other than zeros in the swap line), you do have swap:


TroubleShooting:
  1. Take a backup of App ( You can use it any time , u want)
  2. Uninstall the App
  3. Check The Sd card whether the Swap file deleted, if not delete it.
  4. A Reboot
  5. You are good to go now...
Caution:
  1. Dont delete the Swap file before uninstalling the app.

Conclusion
  1. Comparing with partion method, this method is quiet easy and Simple.
  2. This will help you in Multi tasking.
  3. For better Ram management use Tweaks

MUST READ (Senior Members):
U Can try this app but THIS POST IS MAINLY MEANT FOR USERS WHO HAD SUCCESS or TRIED , Sir Carl Dean Cantabay's Method.
So Dont give your bad views on it. CarlDean Catabay's post is a PORTAL thread[popular}
thread link

Credits:
  1. Jesus Christ
  2. ROEHSOFT devs
  3. Sir CarlDeanCatabay


IF U GO ANY WHERE WRONG , ANY DOUBTS , ANY SUGGESTIONS , IDEAS DON'T HESITATE TO TELL US
Give credits to the devs who work hard to make our life easier by thanking and donating.


can't use this as i have class 4 card
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abhishekr700 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abhishekr700 Ad-Free
14th June 2013, 06:48 AM |#11  
Samuel IP's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Coimbatore,India
Thanks Meter: 204
 
More
Question Hey you there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekr700

can't use this as i have class 4 card

1.Dont Quote the whole post
2.U can try with Class 4 Sd
3.Please make a post here after using with Class 4 Sd card
Thanks


Update: Read The Faq's Column again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
best easy working root, empower galaxy y gt5360, increase ram, roehsoft ram expander (swap) swap, samsung galaxy y s5360

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes