FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] [EMERGENCY] Sitting Brick - CM 10.1

1,297 posts
Thanks Meter: 267

By sauprankul, Senior Member on 12th June 2013, 09:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everybody,
I was (am?) running CM 10.1 for a couple days just to see how it was, and it was nice. I was going to make it my daily driver until I got a call while the phone was in my pocket and suddenly, the ringing stopped. I took the phone out of my pocket and tried to unlock it. No cigar. It must have powered off. Pressed and held. Nothing. Bootloader? Nope. Try under the halogen work lamp. Nope. No charging light, no splash screen, nothing. Just a brick.

How is it possible for the phone to just brick itself like that? I remember setting the max clocking speed at 1.5ghz and the governor to "conservative" but that's really it. Plus I had rebooted a couple of times between then and now. I ddon't have many apps, let alone many that have root access. So what's up?

Please help me. I give my battery 15 maybe 24 hours before it dies and I can't boot.
12th June 2013, 09:47 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Oh yeah. I don't have S-off, I got my version of CM from get.cm, no custom kernel, or any mod of any sort. The phone was not actively doing anything, except for sitting in my pocket. I held the power button and the power + volume for a good 20-30 seconds.

EDIT: Is my only option to play dumb and ask for warranty? D': I don't want to do that because the rep who traded in my GS2 noticed that it was rooted. I'll probably get denied.
12th June 2013, 11:48 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Seriously, anybody? What are my options? What caused this? Is it my fault?
12th June 2013, 11:58 PM |#4  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 867

More
I wish I had some insight on why that happened to you or how to fix it. What I can say is that I was thinking about flashing my first AOSP rom in the near future but was iffy on it. Now I'm super iffy.

I suppose there is a possibility that it was not software related. Maybe the phone is just a clunker? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can comment.
12th June 2013, 11:59 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
try posting this in the CM 10.1 forums and you will get a result. sorry.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium
13th June 2013, 12:28 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoInc

I suppose there is a possibility that it was not software related. Maybe the phone is just a clunker?

That's a possibility, and what I'm thinking too. Surely someone would have noticed if their phones blew up when they received a call right? The phone wasn't doing anything I hadn't done before (i.e. receiving calls).

You think Sprint will replace it? It's pretty much mint other than the software.

And there is no HTC One Cyanogenmod forum yet.

EDIT: So is it safe for me to go to the store and tell them it crapped out on me? Will they be able to tell that I rooted it?
13th June 2013, 01:23 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Have you tried using the HTC charger that came with the phone and letting it charge for for an hour? If the phone got completely discharged it may take up to 10 minutes just to lite up/

RJR
13th June 2013, 01:41 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrusek

Have you tried using the HTC charger that came with the phone and letting it charge for for an hour? If the phone got completely discharged it may take up to 10 minutes just to lite up/

RJR

First off, Lithium ion batteries do not completely discharge, ever. If they do, they are ruined. Your phone will turn off before it lets the battery drain.
Second, I had at least 80% charge left when it bricked this morning. But what the heck, might as well.

EDIT: Wow. I googled hard bricks and pretty much every case is some kind of update or flash gone wrong. Nobody was just walking around when their phone bricked. This is weird. Considering how rare hard bricks are and the fact that the only apps with root access I had were Ti, File Manager, Spirit and Nova, I'm inclined to believe this is a hardware issue. But I can't be sure.
13th June 2013, 05:57 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Bumping. I only have a little while before my charge runs out.
13th June 2013, 06:23 AM |#10  
Flag Ephraim, UT
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Hmmm, do you know, or have an idea what the battery life was when the incident occurred?
==
EDIT: Oh I see...
13th June 2013, 06:27 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
I unplugged it about 3 maybe 4 hours before it bricked. It had maybe an hour of screen time then. I'm assuming I had around 80% when it bricked. I have no idea how much power the device is currently consuming. But if it's truly bricked, prolly not much, so it'll last for a while.

If it isn't truly bricked, then probably not that long...

Guys, I'm desperate. I'll try absolutely anything.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm 10.1, hard brick, htc one sprint, m7wls, twrp 2.5.0.0

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)