FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] How to change the MODEL ID of the HTC One including video link

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By shadowboy23, Guest on 13th June 2013, 08:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
MOD EDIT

Seems this guide, if not properly followed will cause a (soft)brick. Also there are more up to date guides.

In the interests of all users the guide is hidden, below.
If you wish to follow it go ahead. If you brick your handset, you were warned.

FIRST OF ALL THANKS AND CREDITS GOES TO THE FOLLOWING XDA MEMBERS
@fnoji111
for working on the ENG HBOOT in the Droid DNA forum
@Argumentation
for creating the flashable zip that I used for this tuttorial
@daddioj
for doing the leap of faith and used the ENG HBOOT on his device which lead me to writing this tutorial

NOTE:
I created this tutorial because HTC One has different variants. After reading mike1986. article on HTC One variants I realized why I can't install OTA updates with my model ID (MID). Now since we have S-OFF I wanted to get updates from the UK. But since I have a different MID to the UK version, I can't install OTA updates. And this is the only solution I found to work at this time. So I hope it will help people who wants to change their MID

VIDEO LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

REQUIREMENTS:
1: S-OFF
2: KNOWLEDGE OF ADB COMMANDS
3: PATIENCE

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY STEP ON THIS TUTORIAL
***** I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE*****

STEP 1:
Make sure you don't have HTC Sync Manager installed, if you do uninstall it!! Also make sure you have HTC drivers installed!

Step 2:
Go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...76&postcount=6 and download the Argumentation's zip file

Step 3:
After downloading the PL83IMG.zip you will need to edit the android-info-txt inside. Please see sample picture below:

Step 4:
Now you have to place the zip file in C:\Android SDK\sdk\platform-tools folder. I know some people don't have the same directory as I have so this is just an example. Just make sure you place in the platform-tools folder.

Step 5:
Now connect your HTC One (MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE HAS PLENTY OF CHARGE) to your PC and start a command prompt in the "platform-tools" folder. The quickest way to do this is (see picture below):

Step 6:
When you start your command prompt follow the steps in the picture below. PLEASE BE PATIENT!! After flashing the ENG HBOOT your HTC One will not boot up but you'll just get a gray spotted screen. Your device is not bricked. You can still use adb commands to write the model ID and CID even with a gray screen. WHEN REBOOTING HOLD DOWN POWER BUTTON FOR A FEW SECONDS. You might have to press and hold power button and volume down button when rebooting your phone.

NOTE: When you run the RUU and it says "waiting for bootloader" you will need to restart your phone manually by holding down the power button for a few seconds until it reboots. EACH TIME (does it twice) the RUU says "WAITING FOR BOOTLOADER" you will need to restart the phone manually

You will not lose S-OFF and still have unlocked bootloader. I suggest that backup all important stuff before doing this I hope it helps.

If the mods feels that this doesn't belong here, please feel free to remove it. Thanks.

Here's a short video that shows how I changed my MID (model ID) on my HTC One

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shadowboy23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shadowboy23 Ad-Free

13th June 2013, 08:40 PM |#2  
XDA-Developers
Thanks Meter: 77,202

Donate to Me
More
Just a side note: better to edit all kind of text with notepad++.

1) It formats text better (not just one single line)
2) It keeps Unix coding if needed

EDIT 05.12.2013 by the request of user @alray

THIS METHOD WILL NOT WORK USING WINDOWS 8.1

After flashing ENG hboot, Windows 8.1 won't detect the device and fastboot won't work, so you can't change MID and execute the RUU. (win 8.1 drivers issue).
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mike1986. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mike1986. Ad-Free
14th June 2013, 01:32 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I'll give this a go shortly
14th June 2013, 02:12 AM |#4  
Flag Eastern Time Zone
Thanks Meter: 493

Donate to Me
More
The warning on step six makes no sense

Does it automatically reboot after flashing the zip or what

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmlhodge For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tmlhodge Ad-Free
shadowboy23
14th June 2013, 04:09 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1234567

The warning on step six makes no sense

Does it automatically reboot after flashing the zip or what

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Which warning? Like it states in the last picture when you flash the ENG HBOOT it will get stuck at 3/4 of a way in the status bar. You will need to restart the phone yourself. Then you will get a gray screen and won't be able to see anything. You might think it's bricked but it's not. You just have to proceed with adb command to write the MID and then another adb command to write the CID.
Once you have changed the MID and CID. You may have to reboot your phone and then run the RUU even when it's only a gray screen you see. The RUU will flash back the proper HBOOT and you will see the RUU screen (black screen with HTC logo). Just be patient and wait until the RUU is finished its operation. And that is it.
I will make a video when I get home to assure people that this mod works.
14th June 2013, 04:18 AM |#6  
Flag Turn around...
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Don't know why you started two threads like this? But you have one in General and this one in Development.

But it doesn't belong in Development.
14th June 2013, 04:19 AM |#7  
Flag Eastern Time Zone

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboy23

Which warning? Like it states in the last picture when you flash the ENG HBOOT it will get stuck at 3/4 of a way in the status bar. You will need to restart the phone yourself. Then you will get a gray screen and won't be able to see anything. You might think it's bricked but it's not. You just have to proceed with adb command to write the MID and then another adb command to write the CID.
Once you have changed the MID and CID. You may have to reboot your phone and then run the RUU even when it's only a gray screen you see. The RUU will flash back the proper HBOOT and you will see the RUU screen (black screen with HTC logo). Just be patient and wait until the RUU is finished its operation. And that is it.
I will make a video when I get home to assure people that this mod works.

Oh ok I got ya. Didn't see that before.
shadowboy23
14th June 2013, 04:33 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstop

Don't know why you started two threads like this? But you have one in General and this one in Development.

If it doesn't belong here then the mods can delete that is fine by me.

EDIT:
Just sent a message to one mod so he can delete this thread if it doesn't belong here.
14th June 2013, 04:40 AM |#9  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 8

More
thank you very much it worked like a charm just changed a tmous mid so far so good waiting to install ota
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel86bm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel86bm Ad-Free
14th June 2013, 04:41 AM |#10  
Flag Eastern Time Zone

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstop

False. How is this not developement. And if this isn't developement then neither is the cid thread, or all the stock rom threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to tmlhodge For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tmlhodge Ad-Free
14th June 2013, 04:41 AM |#11  
Flag Turn around...
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboy23

If it doesn't belong here then the mods can delete that is fine by me.

No harm, just easier to follow one thread since I am interested in this.

I converted my ATT One to the Dev Edition (hoping that nothing ATT is on m phone now except service), easy since both have the same MID but will be doing this for the PN0710000 soon.

Thank you for the tutorial.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xstop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xstop Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)