FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Why flash custom ROM on SK4G?

40 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By kelltech, Member on 14th June 2013, 10:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
First, I am very new at rooting and customizing Android and appreciate any help understanding. Please don't take my questions wrong, the screenshots on these ROMS look amazing and I know more than a few tons of hours went into developing and testing, it really is that I am not comprehending the differences I'm finding.

Thanks to the help of the great tutorials here, my SK4G is now successfully rooted! I've been looking at ROMS now for a very long time and found I am really leaning towards Glorious Overdose v5 or neXus JB.

What I'm wondering though, is why would I go through the trouble and risk of flashing if it is essentially still running froyo? Since it's rooted, could I simply uninstall the junkware and use Holo or ADW for a similar effect and virtually no risk? Of course I do see the difference in the kernal version, but as I said I am new to this and it's just my guess that kernal is even a big difference maker.

I am very obviously missing something here, and though I am searching I'm not quite finding what it is I'm not understanding. Otherwise as the video stated when I signed up... I'm a noob...

15th June 2013, 01:58 AM |#2  
Flag Hesperia
Thanks Meter: 183

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelltech

First, I am very new at rooting and customizing Android and appreciate any help understanding. Please don't take my questions wrong, the screenshots on these ROMS look amazing and I know more than a few tons of hours went into developing and testing, it really is that I am not comprehending the differences I'm finding.

Thanks to the help of the great tutorials here, my SK4G is now successfully rooted! I've been looking at ROMS now for a very long time and found I am really leaning towards Glorious Overdose v5 or neXus JB.

What I'm wondering though, is why would I go through the trouble and risk of flashing if it is essentially still running froyo? Since it's rooted, could I simply uninstall the junkware and use Holo or ADW for a similar effect and virtually no risk? Of course I do see the difference in the kernal version, but as I said I am new to this and it's just my guess that kernal is even a big difference maker.

I am very obviously missing something here, and though I am searching I'm not quite finding what it is I'm not understanding. Otherwise as the video stated when I signed up... I'm a noob...

I didn't read
Flashing a rom gives you more space / faster an more reliable

Glorious overdoes v5 is a bit buggy here an there an over all is the largest "rom" due to the aroma

I use nexus jb is slim fast reliable its really good the creator ric has made many roms each better then the last (theming wise) demkantor is really great dev only a few people here anymore an these two still make this phone amazing

Sent from my SGH-T839 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to immorality For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift immorality Ad-Free
15th June 2013, 05:48 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality

I didn't read
Flashing a rom gives you more space / faster an more reliable

Glorious overdoes v5 is a bit buggy here an there an over all is the largest "rom" due to the aroma

I use nexus jb is slim fast reliable its really good the creator ric has made many roms each better then the last (theming wise) demkantor is really great dev only a few people here anymore an these two still make this phone amazing

Thanks for pointing out Overdose is buggy, I have that and nexus JB downloaded so perhaps I'll go with JB. Admittedly I'm a bit nervous to take that next step and flash. If I brick I have no backup phone, but it looks like the instructions here on this website are pretty clear and easy to follow. Plus, I'm a risk taker lol!
15th June 2013, 06:59 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
There are many reasons to flash a custom ROM, in addition to what Immortality said: you can flash one that looks and feels more like GingerBread, IceCreamSandwich, JellyBean, etc. You can pick one that isn't so bloated (although once you're rooted, you can pretty easily remove the bloat). I've tried a few, and here are my notes:

GOV33+LEAN-PERFORMANCE-RELEASE - Started out good, but over time SU stopped working, battery life degraded. Liked LauncherPro. Maybe it just needs to be reinstalled

neXus_JB_v1.2 - Colors hard to read (white on gray). Seems like too many unnecessary apps (live wallpapers, etc).

MeMoRy - Based on GOV3.3 Lean. Uses Lightning Launcher, which I didn't like at first, but it's very simple and presumably lightweight. However, the supplied Jelly Bean keyboard keeps crashing. I installed the ICS keyboard and removed the JB keyboard, and this is now the ROM I use.

Windxixi just posted about a new ROM that he says is based on GB and works: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post42562471. Might be worth following.
The Following User Says Thank You to marathonjon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marathonjon Ad-Free
15th June 2013, 07:30 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Windxixi just posted about a new ROM that he says is based on GB and works: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post42562471. Might be worth following.

Thanks for your insight, very much appreciate it. I did see that GB post, looks really interesting. Once someone determines if it's actually upside down as in his pic or not I may just go with that one. Unless it really is upside down, that would seriously drive me nuts!
15th June 2013, 11:36 PM |#6  
Flag Hesperia
Thanks Meter: 183

More
Quote:

Thanks for your insight, very much appreciate it. I did see that GB post, looks really interesting. Once someone determines if it's actually upside down as in his pic or not I may just go with that one. Unless it really is upside down, that would seriously drive me nuts!

Should be fix-able but yes if you look at the track pad an the screen the settings is upside down an in chinese japanese

16th June 2013, 07:55 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality

Should be fix-able but yes if you look at the track pad an the screen the settings is upside down an in chinese japanese

Sweet, definitely keeping my eyes open on that thread because I know for certain I cannot fix it! I haven't even had the guts to flash a new ROM yet or even delete bloatware, only froze it so far...
21st July 2013, 01:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
i like both gov2 and nexus jb.
both of them smooth like a charm
The Following User Says Thank You to basyonk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift basyonk Ad-Free
21st July 2013, 03:24 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:

I can say that the ROM is not upside down:

But I still wouldn't use it if this is your only phone. Keyboard does not work so you are stranded with a virtual keyboard. Battery life does not seem to be all that great. No buttons work on the actual phone except the power button, trackpad button, and the volume down button. The gyroscope does not work and I have not even set up my SIM on this so I don't know how it works with actual use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowscott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shadowscott Ad-Free
27th July 2013, 08:09 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowscott

I can say that the ROM is not upside down:

But I still wouldn't use it if this is your only phone. Keyboard does not work so you are stranded with a virtual keyboard. Battery life does not seem to be all that great. No buttons work on the actual phone except the power button, trackpad button, and the volume down button. The gyroscope does not work and I have not even set up my SIM on this so I don't know how it works with actual use.

It is my only phone and doesn't look like I'll get to buy a new one any time soon. Thanks for the advice!
3rd January 2018, 07:03 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
no radio general mobil4g
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)