FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Can SPRINT Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 be Unlocked & use with GSM/SIM Card?

19 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By dtkool, Junior Member on 15th June 2013, 02:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th February 2014, 05:53 AM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel4653

Last part is not fully true. There have been people who got Tmobile, ATT, and net10 to work on a sprint gs4 after unlocking it by Sprint or manually.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I had my sgs4 unlocked by sprint and put it on att/tmo and had h+data with talj and text. just not as easy as putting the sim in and go there is a few steps to take in order to get it to work. also have to add the apn but thats only one step and not even the first step. also switching back to sprint is tricky to cuz the phone will get stuck on gsm. also ran into roaming problems where while on sprint it wouldn't try to roam on cdma it would try and pick up gsm networks (doesn't work wont really roam) so it can be problematic if you don't know the whole steps forward and back.
The Following User Says Thank You to eheilner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eheilner Ad-Free

12th February 2014, 11:26 PM |#72  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Just to Clarify,
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheilner

I had my sgs4 unlocked by sprint and put it on att/tmo and had h+data with talj and text. just not as easy as putting the sim in and go there is a few steps to take in order to get it to work. also have to add the apn but thats only one step and not even the first step. also switching back to sprint is tricky to cuz the phone will get stuck on gsm. also ran into roaming problems where while on sprint it wouldn't try to roam on cdma it would try and pick up gsm networks (doesn't work wont really roam) so it can be problematic if you don't know the whole steps forward and back.

Once you called sprint to get it unlocked for international usage, what else was needed in order for it to function with T-Mobile or other US carriers?
12th February 2014, 11:47 PM |#73  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 3,089

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iREFRACT

Once you called sprint to get it unlocked for international usage, what else was needed in order for it to function with T-Mobile or other US carriers?

I can speak for the guy but I'm assuming he had to off done something else. Sprint unlock only works for international from my knowledge.

13th February 2014, 01:24 AM |#74  

More
Quote:

did you do the UICC unlock update? if so send me a PM ill tell you the steps. but if you had it unlocked and got a new sim card then you did a different unlock. sprint has two types of unlocks they do one is a prl update with new sim card. the other is an update they push so you can use other sim cards. "they say us sims wont work" but with a few steps it will. also you need to be on MDC or MDL baseband.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel4653

I can speak for the guy but I'm assuming he had to off done something else. Sprint unlock only works for international from my knowledge.

no I had sprint push the UICC unlock to my phone. wasn't as easy as just put the sim in and go but only like 5 steps to get it to work.
and my method also works on the Samsung note
13th February 2014, 05:12 PM |#75  

More
Quote:

did you do the UICC unlock update? if so send me a PM ill tell you the steps. but if you had it unlocked and got a new sim card then you did a different unlock. sprint has two types of unlocks they do one is a prl update with new sim card. the other is an update they push so you can use other sim cards. "they say us sims wont work" but with a few steps it will. also you need to be on MDC or MDL baseband.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

no I had sprint push the UICC unlock to my phone. wasn't as easy as just put the sim in and go but only like 5 steps to get it to work.
and my method also works on the Samsung note

From what I'm guessing now, based on what you've shared. I've only unlocked the SIM card slot to be used with NON-US carriers. Which is a step in the right direction I suppose, but ultimately I'd like to use it here in the states. I am currently a sprint user (Galaxy Note 2, LG G2, S4, Tab 3), but I acquire phones else where with clean ESN's, do you (OR ANYONE) know if I would still be eligable to request an unlock code for a Sprint phone (clean ESN) not associated with my account?

Thanks again!
13th February 2014, 07:20 PM |#76  

More
Quote:

From what I'm guessing now, based on what you've shared. I've only unlocked the SIM card slot to be used with NON-US carriers. Which is a step in the right direction I suppose, but ultimately I'd like to use it here in the states. I am currently a sprint user (Galaxy Note 2, LG G2, S4, Tab 3), but I acquire phones else where with clean ESN's, do you (OR ANYONE) know if I would still be eligable to request an unlock code for a Sprint phone (clean ESN) not associated with my account?

Thanks again!

Sprint does not use unlock codes. If you can put a us sim in and not get invalid sim then it will work on any us network(gsm) once put in sniffer mode/release 8 setting . Default even when unlocked it stays on realse 99 for talk and needs to be set to sniffer. For data the same thing. So what I see here on these forms is ppl changing one and not the other.
But they need to both be changed at the same time or one wont stick.
So it might work but you wont have full network access. Talj might work but no data or text any number of things can work with out the other one working. Some ppl get on tmo but only have 2g and E network thats cuz they didnt put it in sniffer/release 8 hspa+.
13th February 2014, 07:33 PM |#77  

More
I see!
Quote:

Sprint does not use unlock codes. If you can put a us sim in and not get invalid sim then it will work on any us network(gsm) once put in sniffer mode/release 8 setting . Default even when unlocked it stays on realse 99 for talk and needs to be set to sniffer. For data the same thing. So what I see here on these forms is ppl changing one and not the other.
But they need to both be changed at the same time or one wont stick.
So it might work but you wont have full network access. Talj might work but no data or text any number of things can work with out the other one working. Some ppl get on tmo but only have 2g and E network thats cuz they didnt put it in sniffer/release 8 hspa+.

Correct, the phone is reading the (Tmo) SIM Card (not receiving a message stating invalid SIM) but is not registering on the network. Would you be able to point me in the right direction, as to how to enable sniffer mode/release 8 setting?
14th February 2014, 02:54 AM |#78  

More
Quote:

Correct, the phone is reading the (Tmo) SIM Card (not receiving a message stating invalid SIM) but is not registering on the network. Would you be able to point me in the right direction, as to how to enable sniffer mode/release 8 setting?

Could you check something for me ##0011#. 1-1-6-3-4(revision control)-1tell me what that is set on. Just so you know for it to work tmo you need to do these steps every time. Also you cant just go into system setting mobilbe network and put it back on sprint.

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuetzpallin

I have the same issue in Mexico, it is a sprint cdma device with a sim card reader behind, I tried this method:

But after the phone restart it still saying "no sim card", not sure what should be the next step or how to check if it's really unlocked

any help it's really appreciated.

Did you by chance try a different sim card? Did you have to cut it out yourself? I cut my first sim and couldnt get it to read in my s4 but my iphone would read it. Seems like the s4 sim try is kinda picky.
21st May 2014, 05:05 PM |#79  

More
Quote:

Could you check something for me ##0011#. 1-1-6-3-4(revision control)-1tell me what that is set on. Just so you know for it to work tmo you need to do these steps every time. Also you cant just go into system setting mobilbe network and put it back on sprint.

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Did you by chance try a different sim card? Did you have to cut it out yourself? I cut my first sim and couldnt get it to read in my s4 but my iphone would read it. Seems like the s4 sim try is kinda picky.

i have unlocked my sprint s4 for international as well but cant get it to work for tmo. can anyone help
21st May 2014, 06:49 PM |#80  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 3,089

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag843

i have unlocked my sprint s4 for international as well but cant get it to work for tmo. can anyone help

Do the domestic unlock. I'll leave the finding of that thread to you.

21st June 2015, 06:08 PM |#81  

More
Smile Sprint CDMA sph-l720 working on GSM At&t sim without any unlocking. Working for.me
[QUOTE=dtkool;42587429]Can SPRINT Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 be Unlocked & use with GSM/SIM Card carriers?

Is there a SIM Card Slot for the SPRINT Galaxy S4 SPH-L720?

Just wondering because Sprint Galaxy S4 are much cheaper than Tmobile & AT&T Galaxy S4.

Anyone here have any info or mod or anything about this please comments.

I got At&t sim working on my sprint sph-l720 CDMA phone. Was a little tricky but everything
is working including mms and internet.]

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I have figured out how to use any GSM sim on sprint sph-l720 CDMA phone. Takes some know how but everything is working including mms and internet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)