[Q] Galaxy Note Stuck on Samsung Logo - UPDATED

Search This thread

fivegoldstars

Jan 4, 2013
UPDATE: Up until yesterday, my phone was stuck on the Samsung logo. I used Odin to flash the original Carphone Warehouse Gingerbread Rom. The phone then became stuck in a loop of unresponsive processes and wouldn't boot up. I decided that this was due to the Google Apps on the phone being a newer version than the O/S (I have not factory reset). Kies would not connect to the device in this state, so i used Odin again to flash the stock UK Jellybean Vodafone Rom. My phone now boots, and most settings/apps appear to have been kept. However, some system apps, i.e. messaging, force close. I think this may be because the APN's etc are now on Voda settings. Unfortunately, 'settings' is also a process which force closes!
Basically, at the minute, I'm looking for a way to a) stop the force closes to manually change settings, or b) flash the UK unlocked JB Rom - I can't find this Rom anywhere.

Hi all. Hope somebody can help me.
I have an unlocked Galaxy Note, which has always run stock, up-to-date, Samsung firmware. Yesterday, I was attempting to use the satnav, and had the phone plugged in via car charger. The battery was low, and the satnav wouldn't connect to GPS. In the end, it became unresponsive, and I reset it. Now, the phone will only boot as far as the Samsung logo. Additionally, when it is charging, it doesn't show the bar climbing the battery - only the status (currently over half full).
I can get into recovery and download modes, but I'm really wanting to avoid a full reset/wipe, as I have some texts which have great sentimental value (yes, I know, I should have backed these up).
Other threads which are similar seem to point to Odin and an earlier stock ROM - I've downloaded the original ROM my phone would have had and Odin, but want to know 1) is this the best way to go and 2) what do I do next?
Thanks.

Last edited:

fivegoldstars

Jan 4, 2013
fact fbarro

Flash the stock ROM again with ODIN.

Have now tried this. Odin reports a fail...

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N7000XXKKA_N7000CPWKK3_N7000XXKK5_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> N7000XXKKA_N7000CPWKK3_N7000XXKK5_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> zImage
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/004> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/004> Receive Response form LOKE
<ID:0/004> boot.bin
<ID:0/004> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/004> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Receive Response form LOKE
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

fivegoldstars

Jan 4, 2013
Have retried Odin and received a pass.
Now, the phone is trying to run setup wizard, but is crashing/force closing a number of processes. Might this be because the stock Rom is too old?

fivegoldstars

Jan 4, 2013
Have retried Odin and received a pass.
Now, the phone is trying to run setup wizard, but is crashing/force closing a number of processes. Might this be because the stock Rom is too old?

Further update. I have reflashed again, this time with the JB Vodafone Rom. Previously I was on the unlocked UK Rom, but I can't find this anywhere. I'm now able to get into the phone, and the majority of things work, but some functionality is missing. I've tried to force an OTA update, but now the phone says its running the most up to date software. Any ideas how I can go back to the proper Rom for this phone?

fivegoldstars

Jan 4, 2013
This is the proper ROM mate, may not be the one you got with your phone but still the stock ROM. Or else you can search for the ROM you need on sammobile.com
Do hit thanks if this helps!

Well, as per update in O/P, I'm back in the majority of things, but certain system processes force close when I open. The phone registers on the network, and will make voice calls, but I can't access messaging (force closes) or APN's (force closes). So cannot text or connect to mobile internet. Have tried wiping cache, but I'm now running out of ideas.

fivegoldstars

Jan 4, 2013
I used the only UK JB Rom in Dr Ketans thread. Have not checked sammobile yet - need to do this later.
I'm not wanting to do a full wipe until I can access and backup my texts - trying to install without wiping first.

fivegoldstars

Jan 4, 2013
I used the only UK JB Rom in Dr Ketans thread. Have not checked sammobile yet - need to do this later.
I'm not wanting to do a full wipe until I can access and backup my texts - trying to install without wiping first.

Good news/bad news.
Firstly, the original problem of my phone stuck on the Samsung logo is fixed. My full sequence of events was 1) flash stock Gingerbread rom using Odin. This gave me a phone which would not boot due to Google processes force closing. 2) flash stock JB rom from Dr Ketans thread. This gave me a phone which booted, but could not access APNs/messaging, although all other settings/apps/files were still intact 3) flash stock JB rom from Sammobile (CPW). This gave the same problem. 4) Perform full factory reset and reflash JB CPW rom. Phone now has full functionality, but has lost all files, messages, apps etc.
Thanks for everyone's input - thread can be closed.

asian_boi

Sep 19, 2009
Don't forget. do a backup of your current rom! if ever there might be a problem at least you can still jump back to it!!!