FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Perl for Windows RT

167 posts
Thanks Meter: 187

Post Reply Email Thread
All,

Please find the attached binaries for Perl 5.12.4

These binaries were distributed freely by Microsoft in its Hardware Certification Kit and still contain the original Perl5 licensing agreement (curious if they modified the source and where it is though).

Perl and its core modules are distributable (and re-distributable) under a variety of open source licensing options. I've chosen to publish the Perl binaries here under GPLv1 - specifically section 3c. I have received no information regarding the location of the source code. I can only presume this came from the Perl 5.12.4 development repository (http://dev.perl.org/)

If anyone feels I have violated any licensing agreement, I will happily remove the binaries.

Enjoy!

Code:
C:\Perl>perl -v

This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 4 (v5.12.4) built for MSWin32-ARM-multi-thread

Copyright 1987-2010, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Perl_5.12.4_arm.7z - [Click for QR Code] (497.7 KB, 1544 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bfosterjr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bfosterjr Ad-Free

23rd June 2013, 01:22 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
A completely useable development language for Windows RT (no jailbreak required!) .. and less than 15 downloads.. ?..

Not a lot of Perl fans here I guess.. . Ha!
23rd June 2013, 06:46 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
I dont actually know anyone that knows perl :P
23rd June 2013, 10:09 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven

I dont actually know anyone that knows perl :P

ouch. you just made me feel old...
ha..
23rd June 2013, 11:26 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thumbs up
I was wondering, who still use Perl and for what?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

It works like a charm.
24th June 2013, 09:08 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctitanic

I was wondering, who still use Perl and for what?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

It works like a charm.

supposedly: amazon.com, BBC.co.uk and Ticketmaster all use it in their CGI scripts. I guess if your a company with a script written in perl 18 years ago but it still works, well, why fix what isn't broke?
Looking around it seems it was pretty popular wherever text needed to be parsed in particular ways.
24th June 2013, 10:10 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,947

More
It was a popular choice for web apps in the early days of such things, since modifying text (including HTML) is something the language is pretty great at. On a more user-ish level, it's still reasonably commonly used for little "do something more complex than a shell script but simpler / more hackable than is worth a full executable binary" tools, but python has largely displaced it there. The *nix community uses it a lot more than the Windows community, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GoodDayToDie Ad-Free
26th June 2013, 12:35 AM |#8  
Flag DFW
Thanks Meter: 90

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfosterjr

All,

Please find the attached binaries for Perl 5.12.4

These binaries were distributed freely by Microsoft in its Hardware Certification Kit and still contain the original Perl5 licensing agreement (curious if they modified the source and where it is though).

Perl and its core modules are distributable (and re-distributable) under a variety of open source licensing options. I've chosen to publish the Perl binaries here under GPLv1 - specifically section 3c. I have received no information regarding the location of the source code. I can only presume this came from the Perl 5.12.4 development repository (http://dev.perl.org/)

If anyone feels I have violated any licensing agreement, I will happily remove the binaries.

Enjoy!

Awesome... Thanks for posting!
20th October 2013, 03:38 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
level 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven

supposedly: amazon.com, BBC.co.uk and Ticketmaster all use it in their CGI scripts. I guess if your a company with a script written in perl 18 years ago but it still works, well, why fix what isn't broke?
Looking around it seems it was pretty popular wherever text needed to be parsed in particular ways.

When I worked at level 3 we still used Perl all over the place. It still technically 'runs the internet' as the saying used to go - as level 3 owns the AS1 network (largest segment of the internet).

I still use perl today for formatting files quickly or backend systems dev, though for other types of development I typically use something else these days.
22nd October 2013, 07:01 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Sadly, there isn't an RT 8.1-signed version of Perl out there that I know of. The RT version of Perl has a nice security hole that could be exploited to bootstrap a jailbreak on 8.0, but not 8.1 if you can't run it >.<

Oh well, my PowerShell exploit is enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myriachan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Myriachan Ad-Free
22nd October 2013, 09:44 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrapi

When I worked at level 3 we still used Perl all over the place. It still technically 'runs the internet' as the saying used to go - as level 3 owns the AS1 network (largest segment of the internet).

I still use perl today for formatting files quickly or backend systems dev, though for other types of development I typically use something else these days.

It might have fallen out of favour with alot of people, but it still has its place in the world.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)