FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q&A] How to root LG-P875 (Optimus F5) using motochopper [apply also to F3, F6? & F7]

1,400 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,750

Post Reply Email Thread
Well, dear LG Optimus F3/5/6?/7 owners, you can root your device right now WITHOUT unlocking the bootloader Simply download the attached file below, extract its content and place it in a single directory. This tool works under Windows, Linux and Mac OS X

Thanks a lot to goofyextreme for F3 & platinumpresto for F7 feedback

Positive feedback needed for the F6

Non specific device rooting procedures for motochopper under supported OS's are available HERE -> original thread by the author of this tool ... Thanks a lot djrbliss !

My Optimus F5 was preloaded with JB 4.1.2 and i run Ubuntu x64 : Running motochopper on my device rooted it in about 1 min. or 2 !!!

Theorically you do not need something else than the extracted files from the provided archive and it's true for all motochopper supported OS's : Windows, Linux and Mac OS X : adb executable is embedded into this zip for these three operating systems !

Then, to be sure you have a working setup, please run :

Linux
From a terminal, please cd into the extracted archive directory and type :
Code:
# sudo ./adb.linux devices
... it must output something like this in your terminal :

Code:
# sudo ./adb.linux devices
List of devices attached
yourdeviceserialnumberhere
If you see the serial number of your device listed then you're ready to go further ! Ubuntu x64 works that way out of the box but recently i switched to another x64 Linux distribution and the above command failed, because of an incompatibilty problem beetween the motochopper adb executable and OS librairies ... if you're running a Linux distro and you do not have a correct output from the above command THEN install the adb package from the repository of your choice for your operating system ... after that is done you'll need to edit and modify slightly the motochopper Linux script (run.sh) in order to use the adb executable you've just installed instead of using the one provided by the zip file attached below when running the tool ! ... if you don't know how to modify this script, just let me know and i'll tell you what you need to do

Windows
First of all you'll need to install LG United Mobile Driver, then REBOOT, and type from an elevated command prompt ("launched as an administrator") :
Code:
# adb.exe devices
... it must output something like this in your terminal :

Code:
# adb.exe devices
List of devices attached
yourdeviceserialnumberhere
If you see the serial number of your device listed then you're ready to go further ! Otherwise check than you have enabled USB debugging in the "Developper Options" tab and that the USB connection mode is properly set on your phone (in the Windows device manager you must see an item which mention that an ADB Interface is installed on your system ... the real name on your system may vary from mine so i do not give an exact interface name ...)

Only when you have seen your device serial number in the output of the command "adb devices", you're OK to launch the motochopper tool :

Check that you're inside the extracted motochopper directory and please type :

Linux
Code:
# sudo ./run.sh
Windows
Code:
# run.bat
The tool will take 1 min. or 2 to complete ... and when your phone has rebooted, it's rooted It is safe to try it in my opinion because i don't think this tool can brick your phone in any way, in the worst case it will fail BUT please note this little disclaimer with care : i am not the developper of this great tool and if you decide to use it, then it's at your own risk ...

Happy rooting

NOTE : For Mac OS X users please refer to the original thread by the author of motochopper (link at the beginning of this post) because i don't know much about Mac OS ...

IMPORTANT NOTE : Some of the LG Optimus Fx Series models recently gained an OTA update ! THE motochopper tool apparently DOES NOT WORK AT ALL if you upgraded your ROM with the OTA update ! It seems to be USELESS to try it in such conditions BUT i think it is still HARMLESS to test the tool -> in the worst case it will fail ... if so, reset your device to factory settings from the Android menu and please try another way to root your phone; THAT SAID I REPEAT THE TOOL IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IF YOU DECIDE TO USE IT, IT WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK ...

INFO : As of 2014-03-10 i close this topic because it is useless => motochopper do not work anymore on LG Optimus Fx Series

See you around,

Bye
Attached Files
File Type: zip motochopper.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.36 MB, 14898 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ne0zone75 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ne0zone75 Ad-Free

23rd June 2013, 08:30 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0zone75

Of course on Windows, Linux and Mac YOU MUST HAVE a working Android Tools setup BEFORE running motochopper or it will fail !

In fact adb executable is embedded in the motochopper package for supported OS's so maybe you could try running it without properly installing Android Tools on your machine but i've not tested motochopper that way ...

Also, note that the motochopper package i used to root my LG-P875 install superuser (i switched to supersu after running the tool because i prefer that one ...) and busybox ...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T with Tapatalk HD

NOTE : this message is obsolete please read the updated Q&A from the updated first post ... thank you !
12th July 2013, 09:36 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
worked on the F7
The Following User Says Thank You to platinumpresto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift platinumpresto Ad-Free
13th July 2013, 01:13 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumpresto

worked on the F7

Happy to learn that

Sent from my LG-P875 with Tapatalk 2
27th July 2013, 12:42 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I tried Motochopper with my LG F5 and it didn't work. It just says:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

And it just stays there. Other people seem to have this same problem with Motochopper. I assume I have my USB drivers installed, as when I first attached my F5 to my PC, it installed drivers automatically and I can copy files over to the phone.

I don't know what you mean about "Android Tools". Which android tools? I downloaded Android Developer Tools "adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130717", but nothing actually gets installed in any system directories for other programs to find, it's just an SDK.

Motochopper already has adb.exe included. I tried running as administrator and in XP compatibility mode and there was no change. I'm using Windows 8.

EDIT:

I finally got it working. I had to download the LGMobile Support Tool which was a chore itself, since the main download from the LG site is corrupt, so I had to find another version. Once that program was finally installed (it sits there doing nothing for the first 10 minutes of installation...I realized it must be downloading data from LGs SLOW server), it then updated itself to the latest version, which took another half an hour to download from the slow LG server.
Finally, from that program I could install the custom USB driver for the LG F5 (which is called P875 in the program just to confuse you). It downloaded and installed the USB driver not once, but twice (god knows why), and then told me the second time that the driver was already installed. What a piece of sh__ program.
Anyway, I ran the Motochopper afterwards, and it rooted my phone with no problems.
25th August 2013, 04:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up Works great!
I really appreciate this! I just downloaded the .zip file and ran the "run" executable. You hit enter, and wait until it's done rooting and rebooting. Then, you're rooted! By the way, this was on the LG Optimus F3. It seems as though this method works on the F3, F5, and F7 (at least that's the information that I've gathered so far). Again, thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to goofyextreme For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift goofyextreme Ad-Free
26th August 2013, 01:16 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
I've updated the Q&A today. Thank to all of you for providing feedback on the LG Optimus F Series and the compatibility with the motochopper tool !

Have a nice day
30th August 2013, 02:16 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Question Someone have the contacts provider from their rooted F3?
Thanks for this guide -- I was able to root my Optimus F3 phone.

I do have one small problem, though: I accidentally deleted my contacts provider. Now certain apps aren't working at all. If someone has a rooted F3, it would be great if they could take the time to upload their contacts provider APK (located in /system/app) for me. (One from the F5 or F7 might work also.)

If you're on StackExchange, I have a bounty on Android Enthustiasts (android.stackexchange.com/q/52125/40230) for whoever can help me. Thanks!
8th September 2013, 08:59 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Unlocking bootloader
It seems strange to me that this phone has been out for a few months now and no one has managed to unlock the bootloader. Does anyone know of any progress on this?
10th September 2013, 09:22 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt94

It seems strange to me that this phone has been out for a few months now and no one has managed to unlock the bootloader. Does anyone know of any progress on this?

In fact there is a possible solution ... another tool also developped by djrbliss (motochopper author) which is named loki could do the job but at the moment the Optimus F5 is not supported by loki (Optimus F3/F7 are ). I've opened a ticket on the GitHub loki page for adding F5 support to loki but i have no answer for the moment ... may be you can do the same ...

You might be interested by these links ... :

Official loki thread on XDA Forum ...
Official loki GitHub page ...

Best regards
The Following User Says Thank You to ne0zone75 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ne0zone75 Ad-Free
10th September 2013, 12:31 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Super easy
Just rooted my brand new LG Optimus F5 with the motochopper. I haven't seen anything easier than this. One click button all done, piece of cake compared to rooting my previous few other android devices.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)