[FIX] Ting APNs For all Ting Users - 5-12-2014

215 posts
Thanks Meter: 189

By octhrope, Senior Member on 27th June 2013, 02:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
For all Ting users having issues with mms, sms, and lte using aosp/aokp/cm/eos/pac/pa/bs/modified stock roms.
If you don't know what Ting is or are not a Ting subscriber you do not need this for any reason.
If you are a Ting user you will need the Ting APNs for LTE and MMS.
These Fixes are not phone specific. Should work on all Ting capable Devices.

FOR BEST RESULT: INSERT INTO ROM BEFORE FLASHING!

============= 4.4 KITKAT APNS ====================== (5-20-2014)
Final for 4.4 octhrope apns 4.4!

============ NEW APNS FOR ALL ROMS ============ (11/1/2013)
V7 for 4.1 / 4.2 octhrope lite apn v7
V8 for 4.3 octhrope lite apn v8

PLEASE POST SUCCESS or FAILURES! (Rom, Radio, APN)
IF THERE ARE ANY TING USERS OUT THERE WITH WORKING MMS ON AOSP ROMS - PLEASE SEND ME YOUR APNS-CONF.XML!!! (/system/etc/)
It would be greatly appreciated!

Big THANKS to bigfdaddy2, tabormeister, VoluntaryMan, and poo706!!!
Thanks to all who have submitted information or data!

REMEMBER! Always Backup Apns before flashing. Flash at your own risk. hopefully this helps others.
I am not affiliated with Ting; other than being a customer, Ting has yet to,(or may never),endorse or acknowledge these apns.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to octhrope For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift octhrope Ad-Free
27th June 2013, 05:38 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Notes:

[5-20-2014] - Updated 4.4 Apns to smaller format.

[11-1-2013] - Added Lite roms for both v7 and v8. v7 is 4.2 and 4.1, v8 is 4.3.

[10-30-2013] - Did some fiddling with making a universally accepted apn. I usually test everything before I upload it. That being said this is a test version I haven't used yet...

[9-23-2013] - New installer script courtesy of VoluntaryMan. Implemented as hotfix.

[9-20-2013] - Injecting the APNs into the rom before flashing seems to help. In my experience the system lost the apns after the first reboot and flashing them again made them stick.

[9-9-2013] - If its still not working, LGNPST the Teeny Original bin then the Teeny Alt Bin SLB Stack. Do one, the phone restarts; then do the other.

[8-27-2013] I am going to try to assemble a Frankenstein's Monster APN with every Sprint/Ting APN I can find and give that a shot too. So if the lights start to flicker you'll know why...
Unsuccessful so far...

[8-23-2013] update: Pulled the APN Stock files out of the ZVB rom... 3 different apns; looks like US, EU, KR.
ZVB Stock Deodex APNS

[8-23-2013]I'm going to try to pull the APN from a stock rooted phone at some point to compare with the clean, and custom ones. If anyone has one just pm a link. thanks.

[8-7-2013] Also am having some success with reflashing the jb modem. gives me the you've lost data error when im in the bathroom and loose data but not sending multiple sms messages.

[7-12-2013] If you use a Custom User Agent, (messages > settings > custom user agent) dont use iphone as Ting does not support them.

[7-2-2013] Some Ad Blocking programs will block mms. idk why the phones apns are not excluded from the shiz but adding your apns to the white list or removing the app should fix it.

manual fixes
fix 1
Open Voice Dialer, say "Open APN's"
Change all http://mms.sprintpcs.com to http://mms.plspictures.com
Select one of the profiles with the correct MMSC in it.
Reboot

fix 2
Open your root explorer, navigate to /system/etc and find apns-conf.xml
Copy it to another location
Change all instances of http://mms.sprintpcs.com to http://mms.plspictures.com
Copy and paste it back into /system/etc - overwrite old file
Reboot

DEPRECATED METHODS

============= 4.4 KITKAT =======================(9-20-2013) Flash Via Recovery
octhrope 4.4 ting apn
octhrope 4.4 lite ting apn Removed over 15,000 lines. 324k to 5k
stock kitkat 4.4 apn This is the stock AOSP apn from 4.4 (you probably dont need this)
octhrope CM11 Ting Apns

============= 4.3 JELLYBEAN =======================(9-20-2013) Flash Via Recovery
octhrope ultimate apn v2
octhrope ultimate apn v2<<< New Installer Script
octhrope ultimate apn v1 < contains a typo but is working for me on AOKP 4.3
octhrope ultimate apn v1<<< New Installer Script
This is a fire bomb of every Ting / Sprint Apn I have acquired...
octhrope ultimate apn v3 TEST VERSION

============= 4.2 JELLYBEAN =======================(9-9-2013) Flash via Recovery
octhrope apn v13
octhrope apn v13<<< New Installer Script
octhrope apn v13 lite(only sprint apns listed)
octhrope apn v13 lite.zip<<< New Installer Script
octhrope apn v15
octhrope apn v15<<< New Installer Script

============= 4.1 JELLYBEAN ===================(8-29-2013) Flash via Recovery
octhrope modified ting apns V9 8-29-2013
octhrope modified ting apns V9 9-23-2013<<< New Installer Script

original ting apns flash via recovery
original ting apns original thread
This will fix LTE for all and mms for most. Only use if octhrope apn does not work for you.

octhrope ting apns flash via recovery
octhrope modified ting apns updated 6-26-2013
I made this because mms wasn't working for me still. cant guarantee that this won't cause more problems since i have only tested it on my phone. (original ting apn plus proxies and ports)

octhrope ting apns v2 flash via recovery
octhrope modified ting apns V2

octhrope ting apns v3 8-14-2013 flash via recovery
octhrope modified ting apns V3 8-14-2013

While using octhrope modified ting apn v2
Setting a Custom User Agent TEMPORARILY Fixed the issue (messages > settings > custom user agent) Nokia N95.
did a bunch of testing and this is the only solution that was consistent. i suspect that Ting has no support for a generic android device on their network. after a couple days its back to not working.

fix 3
i did fix 1 but added the proxy and the port to all of the APNs (this might be wrong...)
proxy: 68.28.31.7
port: 80
reboot and sent picture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octhrope For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift octhrope Ad-Free
26th July 2013, 09:25 AM |#3  
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 80

Donate to Me
More
EDIT: This method might help? Someone should go back to stock, backup working APNS and test them on CM. I can do this eventually. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40&postcount=7
21st August 2013, 02:15 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabormeister

EDIT: This method might help? Someone should go back to stock, backup working APNS and test them on CM. I can do this eventually. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40&postcount=7

That's basically the ting APN file above. I didn't have success pulling the apns off of a stock based jb ROM. Maybe if I new the location... I could just adb into it and pull the config file out.

I may be incorrect here, but it feels like there might be another setting somewhere... Like a MMS only setting hanging out.

Also bumped up to 4.3, when doing the open apns trick it shows no apns. Which is strange because I flashed them and the Lte is working.
23rd August 2013, 07:12 AM |#5  
Flag Pennsylvania

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by octhrope

That's basically the ting APN file above. I didn't have success pulling the apns off of a stock based jb ROM. Maybe if I new the location... I could just adb into it and pull the config file out.

I may be incorrect here, but it feels like there might be another setting somewhere... Like a MMS only setting hanging out.

Also bumped up to 4.3, when doing the open apns trick it shows no apns. Which is strange because I flashed them and the Lte is working.

I've noticed that too, on the GS3 on Ting. I haven't checked if my LTE and picture mail are working, I've just been using stock sprint apns for the last few days.

If you mean the location of the apn-config.xml, it's in /system/etc and one doesn't need to be rooted on stock to read/copy it.
23rd August 2013, 05:51 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I've noticed that too, on the GS3 on Ting. I haven't checked if my LTE and picture mail are working, I've just been using stock sprint apns for the last few days.

If you mean the location of the apn-config.xml, it's in /system/etc and one doesn't need to be rooted on stock to read/copy it.

I meant another place where the phone holds apns or settings for apks.
I noticed there is an extra hyphen in all of the stock apns before the <apns. I wonder if it makes a difference.
23rd August 2013, 08:18 PM |#7  
Flag Pennsylvania

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I meant another place where the phone holds apns or settings for apks.
I noticed there is an extra hyphen in all of the stock apns before the <apns. I wonder if it makes a difference.

That's interesting...maybe LG stock reads apns differently for some reason? Oddly just flashed to 4.3 this morning w/BaNkS gapps, wiped cache/dalvik/system, and on boot LTE worked fine. I haven't tested mms yet though

I didn't mean to sound condescending, whoops my bad.
23rd August 2013, 09:48 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

That's interesting...maybe LG stock reads apns differently for some reason? Oddly just flashed to 4.3 this morning w/BaNkS gapps, wiped cache/dalvik/system, and on boot LTE worked fine. I haven't tested mms yet though

I didn't mean to sound condescending, whoops my bad.

really? i always have to flash a apn list otherwise it wont get lte. I've been testing handcent again today because it has a place to enter custom mms apns... still not sending. Talking with the peeps on IRC, mms is a crap shoot on all aosp roms. they were saying 50% of the time it doesn't work. which makes this job even harder. IDK, maybe there is more to the apn settings than we can see or maybe the stock rom calls home or can access something differently.
23rd August 2013, 11:08 PM |#9  
Flag Pennsylvania

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

really? i always have to flash a apn list otherwise it wont get lte. I've been testing handcent again today because it has a place to enter custom mms apns... still not sending. Talking with the peeps on IRC, mms is a crap shoot on all aosp roms. they were saying 50% of the time it doesn't work. which makes this job even harder. IDK, maybe there is more to the apn settings than we can see or maybe the stock rom calls home or can access something differently.

I know, it's weird, but both devices I've flashed 4.3 on I wiped system (in twrp, assuming it does a decent job?) and lte worked on boot. I'm actually kind of confused about it, but also not complaining.

Maybe gosms? I've heard it also has custom mms settings. The most curious thing to me is that the phone thinks it's sending mms but they never actually are received by the other end.
24th August 2013, 04:21 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I know, it's weird, but both devices I've flashed 4.3 on I wiped system (in twrp, assuming it does a decent job?) and lte worked on boot. I'm actually kind of confused about it, but also not complaining.

Maybe gosms? I've heard it also has custom mms settings. The most curious thing to me is that the phone thinks it's sending mms but they never actually are received by the other end.

I went back to stock zvb. updated prl and profile, sent an mms. looked at the apns-conf.xml. Its just as blank as the the one i pulled out of the rom.
24th August 2013, 08:06 PM |#11  
Flag Pennsylvania

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I went back to stock zvb. updated prl and profile, sent an mms. looked at the apns-conf.xml. Its just as blank as the the one i pulled out of the rom.

No way! Maybe LG stock has apn code baked into the messaging app somehow then? I'm tempted to just download an lg zip and dig around. OR do you think it has something to do with the EFS partitions? Digging around in EFS backups and a stock zip.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)