FORUMS

[ROM] Unofficial CM10 Experimental (7/2/2013)

55 posts
Thanks Meter: 267

Post Reply Email Thread
Unofficial Cyanogenmod 10 (Jellybean 4.1.2) for Ouya - Experimental

**MUST READ**

Until Ouya releases a proper method to force the device into a recovery state this is considered risky. If you're ever writing to the boot partition and the power goes out, or you flash a bad kernel, your Ouya could quickly become a shiny new brick.
Because of this, the flashable zip I posted does not contain the boot.img. The boot.img is a separate download which you should use fastboot to boot. I recommend using 'fastboot boot boot.img' until this issue is addressed. Of course this means that every time you reboot your device you will have to force it to reboot to the bootloader using 'adb reboot bootloader' and then 'fastboot boot boot.img' (very annoying).
You can use 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' if you want to write the boot.img permanently, but YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. I am in no way responsible for anything that happens to your device.
Right after you install, go into settings and enable adb and adb root access, THIS IS CRUCIAL. You could be locking yourself out if you don't. If you forgot to do this and you find yourself stuck in a bootloop read the section titled 'Stuck in a bootloop' below.

Tested working
Wifi
Bluetooth
Audio
HDMI
Google Play store (Use gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip)
Ouya Controller
Ethernet (Have to use 'netcfg eth0 up', 'netcfg eth0 dhcp' commands since we have no settings menu)

Expect bugs and please report them. I have not tested this thoroughly.

Make sure you take a backup of your stock Ouya using CWM.

Downloads
cm-10-20130702-UNOFFICIAL-ouya_1_1.zip
0ff08b8c5aaa85e6d091e4e079cdc79c

20130702-boot.img
60b4c4d82dbe317cd14a5deda09b0831

Tips
Disable Battery Icon
- Go to Settings > System > Status Bar > Battery Status Style > Hidden

Disable extra notification drawer items
- Go to Settings > System > Notification drawer > uncheck Airplane mode and Orientation

Set governor to Performance
- Go to Settings > Performance > Processor > CPU governor > PERFORMANCE (check 'Set on boot' to keep changes on reboot)

Stuck in a bootloop
If you ever get in a situation where adb is disabled and you forgot to boot the proper boot.img you might get stuck in a bootloop.
The only option is to try the following to force the ouya to reboot into recovery.
- Power off the ouya.
- Plug in a usb keyboard that has a sysrq or printscreen key
- Power on the ouya, right after the boot animation starts press the sysrq/printscreen + alt + i keys and hold for a second
- Wait a second and press the key combo again, sysrq/printscreen + alt + i, hold for a second
- Repeat this until the device reboots (You should see the boot animation freeze after a few times, this means your getting close )
- You should end up back in CWM with adb working

Changelog
7/2/2013
- First release

Source
http://github.com/khanning - Device tree
http://github.com/ouya - Kernel source

Thank you

Cyanogenmod Team and all contributers
Everyone here that started the discussion before I got my ouya. Reading through the threads helped point me in the right direction.
Attached Files
File Type: img 20130702-boot.img - [Click for QR Code] (4.99 MB, 94 views)
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to khanning88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift khanning88 Ad-Free
3rd July 2013, 04:32 AM |#2  
Flag SouthEast USA
Thanks Meter: 1,839

Donate to Me
More
So interested in trying this, but seems a bit unsafe atm. I'm going to be keeping a watch though, because I bought my Ouya knowing it'd be open to ROMS/etc. I bought it to be a cheap PC for my tv, and the default software doesn't really allow for that.
3rd July 2013, 08:45 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderman112

So interested in trying this, but seems a bit unsafe atm. I'm going to be keeping a watch though, because I bought my Ouya knowing it'd be open to ROMS/etc. I bought it to be a cheap PC for my tv, and the default software doesn't really allow for that.

Same here. I'll wait for someone braver than me to jump in first. Water looks warm, though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
3rd July 2013, 10:52 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 269

Donate to Me
More
Devs, I propose the following to get rid of the potential brick risk:

Since we can't get into recovery manually (via HW buttons), let's reverse the role of SOS (recovery) and LNX (kernel). Since LNX is the booting kernel partition, let's flash recovery there and flash the kernel to the recovery partition. I believe we could do this by modifying the fstab and having our updater-scripts flash to the appropriate partitions.

From a cold start, a user will enter recovery (a minor inconvenience for safety). Depending on how we modify the recovery.fstab, getting to the ROM could be as simple as pressing power twice (recovery does a reboot system now and its fstab has the system actually reboot to the recovery partition, which is the ROM's kernel).

Definitely not straightforward, but should prevent bricks. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mybook4 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mybook4 Ad-Free
3rd July 2013, 12:18 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybook4

let's reverse the role of SOS (recovery) and LNX (kernel).

It sounds almost to simple to work! lol
Really though, I see no reason why this would not work... even without hardware buttons, its just selecting "reboot recovery" from the cwm menu.

Might need a discussion around how this would effect the sysrq+i recovery... I believe we would be safe as (from what i can tell) it doesn't boot to the SOS mmcblk directly, it just go's to whatever "recovery" is.

I already have my second ouya on the way so I have no issues testing it out.
3rd July 2013, 01:15 PM |#6  
Flag casselberry
Thanks Meter: 355

More
I think it would be easiest for ouya corp to give us the boot loader source code and let us add I'll those features in ourselves
3rd July 2013, 06:35 PM |#7  
Flag Provo
Thanks Meter: 231

Donate to Me
More
This is awesome. Maybe you should add a link to this on the OUYA subreddit. Hopefully more exposure makes it more obvious to OUYA how much we need easy access to recovery.
And if more exposure means more noobs bricking their console, then they'll all be contacting OUYA to fix it (since it's not explicitly excluded from the warranty), and that might get them on the ball to release stuff faster.
3rd July 2013, 06:41 PM |#8  
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 266

More
This should be fine. One of the things people may not know is that the Ouya is basically an "always on" device which is generally rarely shut down, so a cold boot is not a frequent thing. As a result, making a cold boot slightly less convenient isn't a real issue IMO, particularly as this will ONLY effect users who have opted to flash CWM and ROMs and stuff on their Ouya.
However, making such an extensive modification would mean we better be damn sure the OTA updates are prevented. I can easily imagine an OTA update coming along and breaking everything when it fails to properly update the device upon encountering the non-standard layout. Its one of those "that shouldn't happen" scenarios, but why chance it if we don't have to?
3rd July 2013, 07:33 PM |#9  
Flag Mount Morris NY
Thanks Meter: 872

Donate to Me
More
I am not too active on these parts anymore but wanted to post thank you for this and once they got proper recovery in place incase I bif my only media box I have for my tv I will give this a go!. ty again for all the work you have done.
3rd July 2013, 08:32 PM |#10  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 18

Donate to Me
More
This is what eventually will be on my OUYA, probably a dual boot. The reason being that a lot of games on the play store nowadays have controller support. So I can have a huge catalog of games through there. Also, not to forget movies, music etc.

And whenever I wish to play OUYA exclusive games I could hop back on to the OUYA Rom.
Best of both worlds.

Great work devs.
3rd July 2013, 08:39 PM |#11  
Flag SouthEast USA
Thanks Meter: 1,839

Donate to Me
More
So, if I were to install this, permanently, the instructions would be as follows?

Boot into recovery using 'adb reboot recovery'
Flash zip
Reboot to the bootloader using 'adb reboot bootloader'
Use 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' to flash the boot.img permanently.
Reboot, done?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)