FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][FIX][AUTOMATION] Barclay's Mobile Banking Root Fix

3,668 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,648

Thread Closed Email Thread
DO NOT USE THIS TUTORIAL WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, SITES HAVE COPIED THIS AND NOT GIVEN CREDIT TO ME OR LINKED THIS POST.

Hello well firstly i would like to say thanks to many people in this thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1823649

So be sure to thank the people who deserve it.

CURRENT METHODS PATCHED DUE TO BARCLAYS FORCING LATEST VERSION.

Click the "show" button below to see old methods that no longer work.

There are 3 Methods to getting this to work. The first method is extremely simple and automated should work for everyone but untested, The second method should work for everyone (hopefully) but is harder and more time consuming. The third method will only work for people who previous had the app working.
Method 1 (Xposed) (Credit to @HiddenRambler) NEW
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...37&postcount=8

Method 2 (Semi-Automatic)
This will automatically patch the build.prop and install 1.3.3 barclays (make sure to not have barclays mobile banking installed before). Please show consideration by clicking thanks as this automated method took a little time as i was rusty on edify syntax.

1. Download and flash this zip file in CWM or TWRP recovery (cyanlabs.co.uk/Automated Barclays Root Fix 1.0.zip).

See source of above zip file.
Code:
ui_print("*********************");
ui_print("Barclays Mobile Banking 1.3.3 Automated Fix");
ui_print("Created By Fma965 @ XDA-Developers");
ui_print("*********************");
ui_print("- Mounting /system, /data and rootfs");

run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/data");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-o", "rw,remount", "/system", "/system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-o", "rw,remount", "/", "/");

ui_print("- Removing old files");
delete("/system/bin/su");
delete("/system/xbin/su");
delete("/system/bin/.ext/.su");
delete("/system/app/Superuser.apk");
delete("/system/app/Superuser.odex");
delete("/system/app/SuperUser.apk");
delete("/system/app/SuperUser.odex");
delete("/system/app/superuser.apk");
delete("/system/app/superuser.odex");
delete("/system/app/Supersu.apk");
delete("/system/app/Supersu.odex");
delete("/system/app/SuperSU.apk");
delete("/system/app/SuperSU.odex");
delete("/system/app/supersu.apk");
delete("/system/app/supersu.odex");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*com.noshufou.android.su*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*com.koushikdutta.superuser*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*Superuser.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*SuperUser.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*superuser.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*eu.chainfire.supersu*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*Supersu.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*SuperSU.apk*");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "/data/dalvik-cache/*supersu.apk*");

ui_print("- Extracting files");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
package_extract_dir("data", "/data");

package_extract_file("buildprop.sh", "/tmp/buildprop.sh");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/buildprop.sh");

ui_print("- Patching Build.prop");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "sed", "-i", "s/ro.build.tags=test-keys/ro.build.tags=release-keys/g", "/system/build.prop");

ui_print("- Setting permissions");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/system/bin/.ext");
set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/bin/.ext/.su");
set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/xbin/su");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/build.prop");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/data/app/SuperuserCWM.apk");

ui_print("- Unmounting /system and /data");
unmount("/system");
unmount("/data");

ui_print("- Done - Be Sure to click thanks on XDA!");

-----------------------------------------------------------

Method 3
1. Download Build Prop Editor, click "ro.build.tags" and change the "test-keys" to "release-keys" press "save"
2. Reboot to Recovery
3. Flash this file http://cyanlabs.co.uk/downloads/Othe...t_Fix_v3.0.zip (if it doesn't work try this http://cyanlabs.co.uk/Barclays Root Fix v2.0.zip) using CWM or TWRP Recovery
4. Reboot
5. Download "Barclays Mobile Banking v1.3.3" (Thanks to gazza1988)
6. Go to Barclays in the Google Play store. Press the menu button and untick "Auto Update"
7. Setup mobile banking

*If you have 3 devices registered already you will need to contact Barclays to get your accounts reset.

DO NOT USE THIS TUTORIAL WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, SITES HAVE COPIED THIS AND NOT GIVEN CREDIT TO ME OR LINKED THIS POST.
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to fma965 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fma965 Ad-Free

12th July 2013, 12:31 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fma965

Hello well firstly i would like to say thanks to many people in this thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1823649

So be sure to thank the people who deserve it.

Right so now for the guide.

There are 2 Methods to getting this to work. The first method will work for everyone (hopefully), the second method will only work for people who previous had the app working.

Method 1
1. Download ES File Explorer
2. Enable root features of ES File Explorer
3. Edit /system/build.prop (mount as RW)
Remove these lines

Code:
ro.cm.version=
ro.modversion=
And change this line
Code:
ro.build.tags=test-keys
To
Code:
ro.build.tags=release-keys
4. Download "SuperSU" from PlayStore
5. Find "Full Unroot" in the settings. And do it.
5. Flash this file ( http://puu.sh/372bd.zip ) using CWM or TWRP Recovery
6. Reboot once file is flashed
7. Download "SuperSU" from PlayStore AGAIN!
8. Load SuperSu "update binary" (Do not move app to system)
9. Download "Barclays Mobile Banking v1.3.3" (Thanks to gazza1988)
10. Setup mobile banking (Do not update)
11. Congrats your done

Method 2
Click Here

RE method 1: I use ParanoidAndroid and so Superuser is built into the ROM. How would users like me make the app work?

Sent from ThePureHeart's I9300 Boss Edition
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePureHeart For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ThePureHeart Ad-Free
12th July 2013, 12:40 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Doesn't paranoidandroid just use superuser.apk? if so all u need to do is follow the instructions above, "full unroot" will remove all existing superuser.apk's.
12th July 2013, 01:33 AM |#4  

More
Quote:

Doesn't paranoidandroid just use superuser.apk? if so all u need to do is follow the instructions above, "full unroot" will remove all existing superuser.apk's.

Nope, it uses Koush's Superuser implementation. It's built into the ROM and doesn't come as a separate app.

I hope there is a way to get it working.

12th July 2013, 02:15 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePureHeart

Nope, it uses Koush's Superuser implementation. It's built into the ROM and doesn't come as a separate app.

I hope there is a way to get it working.

from my research that seems like is just a alternative to superuser and still works as a app, Also have you tried ignoring those steps and just removing the mod and cm lines (if you have them) ?
12th July 2013, 02:57 AM |#6  
Lincoln
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Don't know if I would be comfortable using a custom banking app although it's very tempting!

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium
12th July 2013, 03:07 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

from my research that seems like is just a alternative to superuser and still works as a app, Also have you tried ignoring those steps and just removing the mod and cm lines (if you have them) ?

Unfortunately that won't work since Barclays' apps check for root-level apps, superuser access, device id and all sorts.

I'm trying to get it working with XPrivacy, no luck as of yet. I'll keep trying and see what happens.

12th July 2013, 03:09 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Thanks

Enviado desde mi Xperia U usando Tapatalk 4 Beta
12th July 2013, 04:54 AM |#9  
Flag Nottingham, UK
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleafe

Don't know if I would be comfortable using a custom banking app although it's very tempting!

Hi mate, I haven't customised the app. I wouldn't even know where to start to customise it.

All the updates previous to, and including, 1.3.3 you could get around the root check using various methods. So when the new update came out root users, including myself, updated but found that the methods don't work.

People were asking for the 1.3.3 version because that is the latest one that "works" for root users.

If you check my post history (more specifically threads started by me) you'll see I'm no Dev and very recently bought an s3. I've made numerous backups trying to find the perfect rom for me and in most of those backups was the 1.3.3 apk that people needed.

So I uploaded it to Dropbox and shared it.

I predict you knew most of that info and I don't mean to sound condescending (apologies if I am) just thought I'd try to alleviate any fears over the validity of the app I uploaded.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
12th July 2013, 02:31 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleafe

Im a recognized contributor surely that means im trustworthy. (i am personally using the APK posted above and it works fine and doesn't do anything suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePureHeart

Unfortunately that won't work since Barclays' apps check for root-level apps, superuser access, device id and all sorts.

I'm trying to get it working with XPrivacy, no luck as of yet. I'll keep trying and see what happens.

1.3.3 doesn't check for like anything except superuser.apk and certain build.prop lines. New versions do though

Quote:
Originally Posted by dore22

Thanks

Enviado desde mi Xperia U usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

No problem don't forget to give credit to the people in the link at top
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza1988

Hi mate, I haven't customised the app. I wouldn't even know where to start to customise it.

All the updates previous to, and including, 1.3.3 you could get around the root check using various methods. So when the new update came out root users, including myself, updated but found that the methods don't work.

People were asking for the 1.3.3 version because that is the latest one that "works" for root users.

If you check my post history (more specifically threads started by me) you'll see I'm no Dev and very recently bought an s3. I've made numerous backups trying to find the perfect rom for me and in most of those backups was the 1.3.3 apk that people needed.

So I uploaded it to Dropbox and shared it.

I predict you knew most of that info and I don't mean to sound condescending (apologies if I am) just thought I'd try to alleviate any fears over the validity of the app I uploaded.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Yeah he seems fine, I will upload my own version when i find where i backed it up to , Just so it is from a RC but im 95% sure its fine, At the end of the day its up to the people to decide if they wanna "risk it".
Thanks gazza for uploading the file though

Also if you check permissions and monitor traffic you can see it doesn't do anything different from normal.
12th July 2013, 02:34 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Also is it just me or is this root block by barclays pointless....

I mean you have already entered all your bank details in by the time it tells you have root and refuses to work... How stupid is that? if the phone really is "vulnerable" due to root then uh surely check before entering the details would be good.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread