View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,156 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,686

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st January 2014, 04:26 PM |#131  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJekyll

0. (install busybox and terminal emulator)
1. get superuser rights (Start terminal emulator, type "su" and press enter, grant root priveledges if asked for)
2. remount your system-partition with write access (type "mount -o rw,remount /system" and enter)
3. change the permissions for the following files to rw-r-r:
/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar
(to do so, type "chmod 644 $file" and enter, replace $file with the filename and path as written above, do this for all three files)
4. remount system-partition read only (type "mount -o ro,remount /system" and enter)
5. close terminalemulator, delete appdata and updates for Google playstore and reboot. For me that was all.

Thanks, this worked like a charm, I followed these steps exactly, no problems.
The community is helping FP users. Hopefully FP will help the community in its turn, as promised.
The Following User Says Thank You to markiter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift markiter Ad-Free
1st January 2014, 09:17 PM |#132  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Is this a serial number ("Seriennummer") or is it a bug?

Assuming that my phone does not have the same serial nuber as yours, it is a bug since mine shows the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJekyll For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrJekyll Ad-Free
1st January 2014, 10:10 PM |#133  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmaron

Danke für die Infos Benkxda! Du hängst dich echt rein in das Projekt! Vielen, vielen Dank dafür! Ich bewundere dein Engagement. Ich hoffe die Fairphoneleute kriegen die Kurve!

Thanks a lot for this post benkxda! And thanks for your work to the whole community!

Regards,
Asmaron

EDIT: @ Benkxda: Can you tell us sth. about the battery drain (maybe one more screenshot? ) and the storage issue? Is it true that just 1 GB is reserved for apps or can you simply switch the storage through system settings?

Danke, ich hoffe auch, dass Fairphone schnell aufwacht.
Thanks, I also hope that Fairphone is waking up quickly.

I like the idea about a fair product, fair treatment of the mine workers, no child workers, health protection and not to forget the companies who assemble the devices. I don't care which company can create fair products, so if there is another company in 2014 who is more open, more honest, more communicative, working together with the community, doing a good community job, I am on their side. If Fairphone apologizes and promises to make a better job from now on, I am still on their side. Again, it's the idea, which counts for me.

Battery usage screenshots are requested, must wait until I get them from the owner. It seems to be true, you get 1 GB for your apps and the other free storage is for music, videos, pictures, documents or other files. Don't ask me why, this should be answered by Fairphone. Nonsense for me. But I am still not 100% sure, maybe a owner can confirm.

Quote:

Assuming that my phone does not have the same serial nuber as yours, it is a bug since mine shows the same.

Haha, great one. A pre-easter-egg? Well, Maybe they repair it with the next version, which should be Android 4.4.2.

EDIT: Just added "Known Issues" and "Screenshots" to the OP. If anybody finds other issues, let's discuss and maybe find a solution

EDIT: I compared the benchmark results to my business device and my old Nexus. An overclocked Galaxy Nexus might be able to compete with the Fairphone for a short time, then comes the temperature throttling. Keep in mind, the S3 LTE and the Galaxy Nexus have Cortex A9 cores, the Fairphone has energy efficient Cortex A7 cores. Also, take a look on the GPU power, it's not that bad. It is good enough for most games.

AnTuTu Benchmark 4.1.4 with Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (GT-I9305), CM 10.2 (Android 4.3) 4x 1,4 GHz

AnTuTu Benchmark 4.1.4 with Google Galaxy Nexus (GT-I9250), CM 11 (Android 4.4) 2x 1,2 GHz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
2nd January 2014, 10:48 AM |#134  

More
Quote:

0. (install terminal emulator)
EDIT: as imparted by Nicholas Evans in the Fairphone support forum, BusyBox is not necessary for this as the used programs are provided by Android itself.
1. get superuser rights (Start terminal emulator, type "su" and press enter, grant root priveledges if asked for)
2. remount your system-partition with write access (type "mount -o rw,remount /system" and enter)
3. change the permissions for the following files to rw-r-r:
/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar
(to do so, type "chmod 644 $file" and enter, replace $file with the filename and path as written above, do this for all three files)
4. remount system-partition read only (type "mount -o ro,remount /system" and enter)
5. close terminalemulator, delete appdata and updates for Google playstore and reboot. For me that was all.

Please have these instructions rewied by an experienced user/developer before using them, I will/can not guarantee for anything

Sent from my FairPhone using xda app-developers app

Hi there,
sorry, I'm not very deep into these things below the OS-surface.
I didn't get step 3 correctly, could you please break it down into the 4 different steps it contains?...
If I get it right, I should do as follows:

type "chmod 644 $file" and enter

type "chmod 644 /etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar" and enter

But... where in that process do I change the rights to rw-r-r for these files?
...sorry, I'm really not the smartest in these matters.

Thanks a lot for helping me getting my FP going!
smartn
2nd January 2014, 10:55 AM |#135  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartn

Hi there,
sorry, I'm not very deep into these things below the OS-surface.
I didn't get step 3 correctly, could you please break it down into the 4 different steps it contains?...
If I get it right, I should do as follows:

type "chmod 644 $file" and enter

type "chmod 644 /etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar" and enter

But... where in that process do I change the rights to rw-r-r for these files?
...sorry, I'm really not the smartest in these matters.

Thanks a lot for helping me getting my FP going!
smartn

Hi smartn.

With chmod you change the rights and the rights are 644. So this number is the important thing. Try it, will work.

EDIT: @asmaron Screenshots about battery consumption arrived...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
2nd January 2014, 11:58 AM |#136  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
About the internal storage, there is an "official" statement here:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154666-How-can-I-see-all-the-different-places-where-information-is-stored-on-my-phone-SD-Card-Internal-Storage-and-Phone-Storage-

and here is the community questioning about this:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200667593-Internal-Storage-?locale=en-us

@benkxda thx for the sharing, so the chipset is rootable, but the bootloader is not reachable?
(Damit meine ich, kann man in den Bootloader starten?)
The Following User Says Thank You to haiag For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haiag Ad-Free
2nd January 2014, 01:20 PM |#137  

More
Quote:

Hi smartn.

With chmod you change the rights and the rights are 644. So this number is the important thing. Try it, will work.

Hi benkxda,

in deed, it's fixed. Thanks a lot!

smartn
The Following User Says Thank You to smartn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartn Ad-Free
2nd January 2014, 03:39 PM |#138  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiag

About the internal storage, there is an "official" statement here:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154666-How-can-I-see-all-the-different-places-where-information-is-stored-on-my-phone-SD-Card-Internal-Storage-and-Phone-Storage-

and here is the community questioning about this:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200667593-Internal-Storage-?locale=en-us

@benkxda thx for the sharing, so the chipset is rootable, but the bootloader is not reachable?
(Damit meine ich, kann man in den Bootloader starten?)

Oh, thanks for the links. I will add this clarification to the OP. Poor, shame... but why 1 GB? Since Android 4.0 I didn't have any any problems with app installation partitions.
I don't own a Fairphone, so I am not sure. I read something about pressing power and volume down rocker for two seconds to enter recovery/bootloader... anyone can confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartn

Hi benkxda,

in deed, it's fixed. Thanks a lot!

smartn

That's good news. Thanks for confirming.

Developers and other members of XDA, I want also mention this support page: Why don’t you use other open source or free software instead of Android?
After reading this, I now have more questions unsolved than just the one in the topic. In fact, the answer confuses me Make your own thoughts.

BTW: Stefan Kraft, I read your note of thanks in your post at the Fairphone forum. Thank you too for your work over there, I read quite many posts from you. I hope you read it or someone tells you about my response
2nd January 2014, 04:11 PM |#139  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:

After reading this, I now have more questions unsolved than just the one in the topic. In fact, the answer confuses me Make your own thoughts.

What especially do confuse you?

For the Update Cycles, there was an blogpost here:
http ://ww w.fairphone.com/2013/09/20/fairphone-operating-system/#more-3448

Quote:

The Fairphone OS will run on Android 4.2, but I get asked a lot by our community how many years of support we will give, and how soon after Android updates will we get Fairphone OS updates. Well, realistically at the moment we can’t give firm dates but it’s a good estimate that Kwame hopes to get an Android release something like a month after Android’s own update.

2nd January 2014, 05:22 PM |#140  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.s

Me too, I will make my decision based on if they can give a plausible answer on how they are planning to port Ubuntu, CM, Sailfish, Firefox OS and the like to the FP. I just opened another thread in the FP forum in order to finally get them to answer this question. If anybody wants to weigh in, here it is: http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200648718-Open-source-support

FP answered the question, just follow the quoted link above. Unfortunately, my understanding of the technical details isn't deep enough to understand the consequences of this:

Quote:

We are currently having our ODM, Changhong, prepare the kernel sources for release. This should take a few days and then made available quickly, and should include all the open source code.

Will the kernel sources be sufficient to port CM, Replicant and the like to the Fairphone or is Mediatek's support definitely needed if we want a costum ROM (or even a non-android-based OS)?
2nd January 2014, 06:16 PM |#141  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
A short Review in German:

http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Fairp...t-2073866.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drcyber For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drcyber Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)