Win an Honor 7X!

Samsung sg4 melted/burned while charging overnight

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By targaz, Junior Member on 22nd July 2013, 09:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Update below:

Hey Guys,

i had a bad sleep last night, and that was actually good for once.
I woke up in the middle of night and wanted to check my phone. the screen was black and insanly hot. I took out the charger and thought it just needed to cool down. then 10 minutes later i checked the phone again, and it was still really hot. i took out the battery as well and continued to sleep. Then early morning I was scared i would miss the alarm, i inserted the battery again and wanted to attach the cover, but there was something wierd with the bottom exterior. i turned on the light and instantly woke up a 100%.
The bottom had melted and deformed and the charger tip was black.

It seems I was lucky waking up at the very right time before the device would have further heaten up and potentially caught fire...

I hope the dealer can easily replace the device as I am moving between countries. I already called samsung, but it seems the lady i was talking with was rather unwilling to help and directed me solely to the dealer...

Links below for pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehgzsq6zx15zvx5/0lXdixMRl0

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Update: Samsung replaced the headset, supposedly to do further research on the issue.
im still frightened to charge it overnight, especially if you have it close to your bed at night! But anyways, im happy to have a new SGS4 in my hands!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to targaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift targaz Ad-Free

22nd July 2013, 09:58 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
If battery/charger was factory original that comes with the device, you can ask refund or replacement since its defective product.. most aftermarket ones are fake (even labeled as genuine) and have no overcharge protection so this might happen. I hope it is resolved well.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda premium
22nd July 2013, 10:15 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hows the battery
A friend of mines S4 used to overheat to a point where it was untouchable. The motherboard and battery were replaced because the battery had started overheating and expanding. How is your battery looking?
22nd July 2013, 10:27 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Radukk: it was the original charger that came with the product. So if this is the sole limitation for a return, then I should be covered.

I have actually been thinking about this as i recieved a terrible slow secondary charger from phonehouse. the phonehouse charger used 8 hours to charge 50%, so since then I have only used the original in case anything happened.

Gilani7: i couldnt spot any bulks or any other sign that the battery has expanded.
The battery still holds charge and I can use it normal, after 4-5 hours use it has 77% charge left. But anyhow i need a new phone as it doesnt look good and neither is it practical to charge the battery externally.
22nd July 2013, 03:13 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Samsung's quality is deteriorating?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium
22nd July 2013, 03:47 PM |#6  
Flag Quinta do Conde
Thanks Meter: 316

Donate to Me
More
omfg oO, did you have a supercharger? ahaha

its like you abuse from power

SUE SAMSUNG xD.....you can die because of this .....SUE SAMSUNG and split money with xda members :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus1

Samsung's quality is deteriorating?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

22nd July 2013, 04:12 PM |#7  
Flag Gapan City
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Coordinate with your dealer to have your handset replaced, but at the same time do everything you can to catch Samsung's attention. E-mail them, call them again (customer service via hotlines suck, as they outsource that sort of thing to third world countries like the Philippines and India, so most representatives when it comes to serious problems like that, they will turn you away and not help you), and write to the CEO if it's necessary. Since both battery and charger are original, warranty should cover your phone.

There have been reports this July of Samsung Galaxy devices exploding and melting... The charger thing you experienced was experienced by a another woman just this month, and on the same unit. She had problems when she approached the dealer for a replacement so she filed a complaint with Samsung and they helped her get a new S4.

I hope I don't experience this... I have a tendency to leave my phone charging overnight, and I'm planning to get the S4 in two months. :S
22nd July 2013, 04:41 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Last accident was caused by non original battery.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
22nd July 2013, 05:03 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
i just went to the dealer (Phonehouse) it was not that pleasent. The guy behind the desk was nice enough, but he said they needed to send it in to samsung, And from his experienced this couldnt be repaired (not a big bomb) and Samsung would neither replace it. He said it was totally up to Samsung.

The stupid thing is that Im leaving Spain in 10 days and i have no time to go back and pick up the phone...
I dont think i will have the time and the resources to sue them, but if they wont replace it then u will be the first one to know. Secondly comes the press.

Im never gonna sleep "with" my samsung phone charging again...
22nd July 2013, 06:59 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
It is not a first time with similar problems in smartphones. In this case, as there is no visible damages to the battery, I am suspecting that USB plug was not fitted in socket correctly, and electric contact was not perfect or there was some dirt on contacts (and some series resistance caused additional heat dissipated during high current charging process).

I am not saying that it is user’s fault. Not. Problem is that micro USB port (enforced by some eco bureaucrats as charging standard) design is not so great for currents up to 2A.

Samsung should put additional temp sensor chip (not only sensor alone, but supervising chip, independent from OS running fine or not, which would be able to shutdown phone) very close to the USB socket.

Safety regulators should enforce such requirements and respective certification tests. Many vendors sometimes demonstrates their scratch tests, endurance testing, super duper audio bits, camera test etc. but I never heard about advertising of safety/temperature/fire tests...

My advice to you is to take high quality high resolution photos (better then these on dropbox) of battery, charger and cable, before you ship phone to the Samsung. Just in case, to avoid to hear next month, that it is your fault because you used fake/unauthorized battery/charger/cable.
22nd July 2013, 07:15 PM |#11  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,000

More
See it on the bright side, at least you got a hot night.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)