FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

No sim card error

1,210 posts
Thanks Meter: 223
 
By pham818, Senior Member on 24th July 2013, 08:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have the ATT Galaxy S4 and it's been great, but lately it randomly has No Sim Card Error, and askes me to insert one, the only fix for it is taking out the sim, and putting it back on.

Anyone having this problem?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pham818 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pham818 Ad-Free
 
 
24th July 2013, 09:00 AM |#2  
Ninja Samurai's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Can you provide more information about your phone?
24th July 2013, 09:05 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Portland
Thanks Meter: 223
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Samurai

Can you provide more information about your phone?

what is there to provide? samsung glaaxy s4 for att black 16gb
24th July 2013, 02:36 PM |#4  
bo8's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
How long have you had the phone for?

I read on another forum, back in early May someone with an S4 also getting the No SIM Card error.
24th July 2013, 07:48 PM |#5  
nthknd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 134
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pham818

I have the ATT Galaxy S4 and it's been great, but lately it randomly has No Sim Card Error, and askes me to insert one, the only fix for it is taking out the sim, and putting it back on.

Anyone having this problem?

Is your phone modified in any way? Root? Customs roms? Etc. Perhaps there's a problem with your sim card. I would start with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium
25th July 2013, 01:11 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Portland
Thanks Meter: 223
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthknd

Is your phone modified in any way? Root? Customs roms? Etc. Perhaps there's a problem with your sim card. I would start with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

it is running a custom rom, but it happened with stock touchwiz also, im trying the tape method, hopefully it'll fix it.
25th July 2013, 03:38 AM |#7  
Febby's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,336
 
More
Try getting your company to exchange the sim card and if issue still happens just replace the sim tray yourself unless you got an insurance plan that covers free defective hardware or ship it off to samsung for repair.

Here is a link to a sim tray for the s4 that I bought for someone to repair their sim tray.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SIM-SD-Ca...-/151079175235

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Febby For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Febby Ad-Free
25th July 2013, 07:12 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Portland
Thanks Meter: 223
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febby

Try getting your company to exchange the sim card and if issue still happens just replace the sim tray yourself unless you got an insurance plan that covers free defective hardware or ship it off to samsung for repair.

Here is a link to a sim tray for the s4 that I bought for someone to repair their sim tray.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SIM-SD-Ca...-/151079175235

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

alright thanks, ill try my tape method first, and if that doesnt work ill do that.
17th October 2013, 08:12 PM |#9  
fukenbiker's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 70
 
Donate to Me
More
Please insert SIM emergency calls only
I bet I have more experience with this than anyone else with a Samsung Galaxy S4 for AT&T 16 GB

This hand set was run over by a large SUV and I was amazed it survived and kudos to otterbox.

Since then, I've been having this SIM error as well, at random. I see it reported that pulling the SIM out and putting it back in was the only thing that worked, I'm glad simply rebooting works for me, so I don't have to peel apart the otterbox all the time.

I tried the tape and it didn't fix it so I replaced the SIM/SD card tray. The new part on Amazon cost me $14 and the YouTube video showing the operation of peeling these things apart was helpful. I didn't see a video in particular about how they're glued down but I managed to peel the original SIM/SD card tray off, scrape off the adhesive that was still stuck on the motherboard, and install the new SIM/SD card tray.

I still get random SIM errors. No change. Putting a layer of tape on the SIM chip was easy, replacing the tray was difficult, and neither one of these efforts to fix it worked.

My SIM errors are the definition of random, I get one error right after another in just a few minutes, or it will stay lit up and working for hours.

So I put my wife's SIM card in there to make sure it wasn't the SIM itself making the problem. She's never had a problem with her SIM in her Note 2. Guess what, she let me use her SIM in my S4 and it wasn't very long and there it was again. "Please insert a valid SIM" emergency calls only. I gave her back her SIM as soon as I saw the error, as she was not happy about having the cover off the back of her Note 2. I did not get the error when I put my SIM into her Note 2, but was not able to test it for very long, as I got the error on my S4 with her chip so soon.

Next I am going to peel it apart as thoroughly as I can and look for any connector plug that can be unplugged and snapped back in. There was only one little ribbon with a 24 pin connector from the new tray to the motherboard. I'll pull that off again too, and inspect it with a magnifying glass.

I will report if I am able to figure out how to fix this problem.

My wife thinks it's because I flash it, but I doubt returning to stock is even worth the effort. I've never heard of a ROM being the culprit.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fukenbiker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fukenbiker Ad-Free
18th October 2013, 07:53 PM |#10  
fukenbiker's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 70
 
Donate to Me
More
more tape
It occurred to me that the tape making the SIM chip thicker seemed to help the problem and less SIM errors.

I will also mention the replacement tray was identical to the one I thought was bad.

I was about to take apart the S4 again when I decided to try lots of tape! I stacked 4 or 5 layers of transparent scotch tape on the back of the SIM chip and it was very snug to slide into the slot.

It was so snug it barely returned from it's "in click"....

I am pleased to report an "up time" of over 16 hours, and that's the longest "up time" achieved since getting run over by a full sized Suburban on Olympic Boulevard.
The Following User Says Thank You to fukenbiker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fukenbiker Ad-Free
9th December 2013, 07:46 PM |#11  
Goliath27's Avatar
Senior Member
Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukenbiker

It occurred to me that the tape making the SIM chip thicker seemed to help the problem and less SIM errors.

I will also mention the replacement tray was identical to the one I thought was bad.

I was about to take apart the S4 again when I decided to try lots of tape! I stacked 4 or 5 layers of transparent scotch tape on the back of the SIM chip and it was very snug to slide into the slot.

It was so snug it barely returned from it's "in click"....

I am pleased to report an "up time" of over 16 hours, and that's the longest "up time" achieved since getting run over by a full sized Suburban on Olympic Boulevard.

How many pieces of tape did you use? I have been having the same problem and one piece helped for a little but but it has since occurred a lot more often.

Any fixes?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes