This simple root can be performed in 5 minutes, but I'm writing this guide to help you quickly get past some pitfalls I encountered. It works on the Titanium series, but will probably work on other models in the ARCHOS Elements line as well. Please comment and confirm so that I can update the list of supported models right here:
Confirmed working on:
ARCHOS 70 Cobalt, Titanium
ARCHOS 80 Titanium HD, Xenon
ARCHOS 97 Titanium, Xenon
ARCHOS 101 Titanium
ARNOVA 97 g4
ARNOVA 101 g4
MEDION LifeTab E10310 / E10311 / E10316
MEDION LifeTab E10312*
*Users report that vroot doesn't recognize this model.
Does not work on::
ARCHOS 97 Platinum HD (first edition, but may work on the second edition 97b Platinum)
ARCHOS Gen10 XS series
Windows OS for root tool
USB cable for tablet
1. First make sure you are updated to the latest firmware from Archos. Since there aren't any custom ROMs for this device yet, you want to have the latest bugfix version before you start.
2. Download latest version of the VROOT app here (Now available in English): http://www.mgyun.com/en/GetVRoot
3. Install the VRoot program in Windows
Now the VROOT app should be running and waiting for you to plug in your device:
4. On your tablet, make sure that USB debugging mode is turned on in developer options
5. With tablet turned on and booted up, connect it to the computer with USB Cable
The app should recognize the device and give you a screen like this:
6. Click the green button.
Your device will reboot in several seconds. When it comes back up, it will be rooted. I don't know if the new English version will install the Chinese superuser or not. If you don't see Chinese, then ignore those parts of the following instructions.
First, it is important to know that when the app pops up to give root access to a program, you need to push the right side button to grant access.
7. Now, you can search for and install "Superuser" by ChainsDD from the Android market. The version made by Clockworkmod does not work for this procedure.
8. Now start Superuser (from the market page after installing), and click on the "i" for Information at the top of the app. It should say su binary v3.x.x with the option to "tap to check for updates".
9. Check for updates and then click the update button.
This will replace the Chinese binary version with an English version. You should now be able to see the normal Superuser Icon in the app drawer and will start receiving prompts in English. But the Chinese su has been known to take over again, so we need to get rid of it while the English su is in charge...
10. Open Settings | Apps in Android and find the Chinese app that was installed, it has a blue icon. Perform a normal uninstall of this app.
11. Now use ES Explorer or another root explorer to delete /system/apps/Superuser.apk (note that it also shows the blue icon)
In ES Explorer 3, you need to first mount system as writable by going to Tools, Root Explorer, Mount R/W and setting /system to RW.
After a reboot you should have root with English SuperUser.
This root was done without enabling SDE on the device.
Installing CWM recovery for Archos and others with Rockchip 3066 and 3188 processors:
This works on my Archos Titanium HD and I now have a full backup to sd card!
Aung Thiha -Initially reported this tool and that it works on the 70 Titanium.
fideliofidelio -suggested freezing the Chinese su app
wendroid for correcting the sequence of actions.