FORUMS

[ROOT] ARCHOS Elements tablets - Fast and simple root

158 posts
Thanks Meter: 68

Post Reply Email Thread
Although some might still find this tutorial useful, I don't think I will be updating it. If you have an ARCHOS Elements tablet you should be able to root by installing ArcTools, use install apps tab, download and install Rockchips generic recovery, and then installing superuser.zip from recovery.

This simple root can be performed in 5 minutes, but I'm writing this guide to help you quickly get past some pitfalls I encountered. It works on the Titanium series, but will probably work on other models in the ARCHOS Elements line as well. Please comment and confirm so that I can update the list of supported models right here:

Confirmed working on:
ARCHOS 70 Cobalt, Titanium
ARCHOS 80 Titanium HD, Xenon
ARCHOS 97 Titanium, Xenon
ARCHOS 101 Titanium

ARNOVA 97 g4
ARNOVA 101 g4

MEDION LifeTab E10310 / E10311 / E10316
MEDION LifeTab E10312*
*Users report that vroot doesn't recognize this model.

Does not work on::
ARCHOS 97 Platinum HD (first edition, but may work on the second edition 97b Platinum)
ARCHOS Gen10 XS series

Requirements:
Windows OS for root tool
USB cable for tablet

Instructions
1. First make sure you are updated to the latest firmware from Archos. Since there aren't any custom ROMs for this device yet, you want to have the latest bugfix version before you start.
2. Download latest version of the VROOT app here (Now available in English): http://www.mgyun.com/en/GetVRoot

3. Install the VRoot program in Windows

Now the VROOT app should be running and waiting for you to plug in your device:

4. On your tablet, make sure that USB debugging mode is turned on in developer options
5. With tablet turned on and booted up, connect it to the computer with USB Cable

The app should recognize the device and give you a screen like this:

6. Click the green button.
Your device will reboot in several seconds. When it comes back up, it will be rooted. I don't know if the new English version will install the Chinese superuser or not. If you don't see Chinese, then ignore those parts of the following instructions.

First, it is important to know that when the app pops up to give root access to a program, you need to push the right side button to grant access.

7. Now, you can search for and install "Superuser" by ChainsDD from the Android market. The version made by Clockworkmod does not work for this procedure.

8. Now start Superuser (from the market page after installing), and click on the "i" for Information at the top of the app. It should say su binary v3.x.x with the option to "tap to check for updates".

9. Check for updates and then click the update button.

This will replace the Chinese binary version with an English version. You should now be able to see the normal Superuser Icon in the app drawer and will start receiving prompts in English. But the Chinese su has been known to take over again, so we need to get rid of it while the English su is in charge...

10. Open Settings | Apps in Android and find the Chinese app that was installed, it has a blue icon. Perform a normal uninstall of this app.

11. Now use ES Explorer or another root explorer to delete /system/apps/Superuser.apk (note that it also shows the blue icon)
In ES Explorer 3, you need to first mount system as writable by going to Tools, Root Explorer, Mount R/W and setting /system to RW.

After a reboot you should have root with English SuperUser.

This root was done without enabling SDE on the device.

Installing CWM recovery for Archos and others with Rockchip 3066 and 3188 processors:

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/...k3188-devices/

This works on my Archos Titanium HD and I now have a full backup to sd card!

Credits
Aung Thiha -Initially reported this tool and that it works on the 70 Titanium.
fideliofidelio -suggested freezing the Chinese su app
wendroid for correcting the sequence of actions.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dhigby For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhigby Ad-Free
25th July 2013, 02:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,

thank you very much for your tuto. I did root my Arnova 101 G4 successfully with that. You are Great

So I did not have to replace the chinese SU with english SuperUser.

I have installed SuperUser by ChainFire from PlayStore,
I tap on the "I"
I tap on the "check for update"
I tap on "update"
but the response of "make sure su works" is Failed

Do you know how replace Chinese interface by english interface because my mandarin is not very rich

Thank's a lot for your answer
25th July 2013, 10:48 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kandern

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfred

Hi,

thank you very much for your tuto. I did root my Arnova 101 G4 successfully with that. You are Great

So I did not have to replace the chinese SU with english SuperUser.

I have installed SuperUser by ChainFire from PlayStore,
I tap on the "I"
I tap on the "check for update"
I tap on "update"
but the response of "make sure su works" is Failed

Do you know how replace Chinese interface by english interface because my mandarin is not very rich

Thank's a lot for your answer

Mine said Failed the first time but then I said Retry and it worked.

If that doesn't fix it, try uninstalling and reinstalling Superuser.

One S: s-off super cid
26th July 2013, 06:16 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Thanks for the tutorial.

Did you uninstall the Chinese app once you had superuser English app successfully installed and upgraded binaries in your tablet?

Have you tried any method to unroot it? You know... Just for the science .

Cheers.
26th July 2013, 06:42 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kandern

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fideliofidelio

Thanks for the tutorial.

Did you uninstall the Chinese app once you had superuser English app successfully installed and upgraded binaries in your tablet?

Have you tried any method to unroot it? You know... Just for the science .

Cheers.

The first time through I was able to make the Chinese app go away just by installing superuser, and upgrading the binary. But when making the tutorial the app got reinstalled. I think that if I delete or disable the app, I might lose root. So for the time being I'll leave it. It isn't hurting anything and my prompts are all in English from Superuser.
**See update a couple posts below **

To unroot you would just go to the archos website and follow directions to do a destructive upgrade with the latest firmware.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80 TITANIUM using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to dhigby For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhigby Ad-Free
26th July 2013, 09:10 AM |#6  

More
hi
The version Release date: 130725 version 1.4.3.3359 of the program works on Titanium 97HD

so easy

Thanks for your post

News: Tested on W8 x32 & x64 and W7 x32 & x64. It works on my 97hd
26th July 2013, 10:20 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kandern

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhigby

The first time through I was able to make the Chinese app go away just by installing superuser, and upgrading the binary. But when making the tutorial the app got reinstalled. I think that if I delete or disable the app, I might lose root. So for the time being I'll leave it. It isn't hurting anything and my prompts are all in English from Superuser.

Now I got rid of the Chinese Superuser completely
1. Make sure the English Superuser is the one in charge by opening an app that needs root. I recommend ES file explorer since we'll need it in the next step. If you get prompted in English, you are ready to proceed. If not, follow steps in the first post to replace the su binary.
2. Find Superuser in Android app settings, the one with the blue icon
3. Clear its data
4. Use ES Explorer to delete /system/apps/Superuser.apk (note that it also shows the blue icon)
If you can't delete it, it is because you need to go into ES Explorer's advanced settings and mount read/write on the system partition.

Now the pesky thing will never come back.

28th July 2013, 07:32 PM |#8  

More
wash menthsCM
Is this procedure applicable to titanium 101 tablets and, moreover, is there any possibility to root such a device using a linux pc?
Thank you,
Xwang
28th July 2013, 11:12 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kandern

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwang76

Is this procedure applicable to titanium 101 tablets

I can almost guarantee it since yours has the same processor and specs as mine.

Quote:

and, moreover, is there any possibility to root such a device using a linux pc?
Thank you,

Xwang

Up to you to discover it and report back. This app only works in Windows. Borrow a friend's computer to root it.

29th July 2013, 05:59 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Ok, just rooted my 80 titanium with vroot v1.4.3. Some steps are a little different but I succeeded.

I installed English superuser and updated binaries. Thing is the Chinese SU app kept popping up when I had to set permissions in every app. Going back to English SU I had to update binaries again.

My work around was to update English SU binaries and immediately froze the Chinese app. Now English SU app is in control. If everything goes fine these days I will uninstall the Chinese app.
29th July 2013, 10:11 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhigby

Mine said Failed the first time but then I said Retry and it worked.

If that doesn't fix it, try uninstalling and reinstalling Superuser.

One S: s-off super cid

Thank you for that but I don't try this because I had bricked my arnova with trying swap internal memory with SD memory. My change in the vold.fstab was not the right for this device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)