FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Chromecast in Canada!

3,280 posts
Thanks Meter: 515

By cmstlist, Senior Member on 25th July 2013, 07:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am probably going to have one of the first Chromecast dongles in Canada unless someone ordered it with 1-day shipping or got it from a Best Buy across the border. I ordered it from Amazon with 2-day shipping to pick up in Point Roberts. I should have it by Friday or Saturday. I can report back as to how many region-related obstacles it throws up.

The first is getting the Chromecast setup apk as it's not available on CDN Play Store. Thanks to the helpful Dropbox link in this forum, I've got that covered.

If there is anything to note that CDN Chromecast users should be aware of, I will edit this first post on an ongoing basis.

EDIT: I have posted the Chromecast apk as of 2013/07/31 to the top post.

Summary:
- Everything works.
- If you have cloud music enabled on your Google Play Music it works.
- CDN Netflix works.
- YouTube works.
- Google Cast from Chrome desktop works. I do not have a powerful enough desktop to stream video but that is unrelated to region.
- If you connect your Android to a VPN or a DNS-changing service to try and access non-CDN Netflix, it will not cast titles unavailable in Canada to Chromecast successfully. Workarounds include either connecting your router itself to the VPN, or entering custom scripts into your router to redirect its hard-coded reliance on Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).
Attached Files
File Type: apk com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app-1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.90 MB, 10113 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cmstlist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmstlist Ad-Free

26th July 2013, 03:24 AM |#2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Cool, so I guess I'm not the only one in Canada looking to get one. I got someone to order one for me, but I won't have it in my hands any time soon (10-20 days).

Looking forward to hear about any region issues. Hopefully there aren't many.
26th July 2013, 03:41 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_33

Cool, so I guess I'm not the only one in Canada looking to get one. I got someone to order one for me, but I won't have it in my hands any time soon (10-20 days).

Looking forward to hear about any region issues. Hopefully there aren't many.

Welcome! I will keep you and the rest of Canada updated. It should arrive in Point Roberts sometime tomorrow. If it arrives before 1PM or so I'll go get it tomorrow, and otherwise Saturday morning.
26th July 2013, 08:26 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Yes, do let us fellow Canucks know how it works here. Eagerly waiting for its release here in Canada or otherwise re-stock in the US...

OP, can you also link to the thread/post where the apk is posted to make it easier for all the non-US users?
26th July 2013, 08:33 AM |#5  
Flag Orange County, California
Thanks Meter: 352

More
http://db.tt/NekoWRpV

There's a link to mine

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to cammykool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cammykool Ad-Free
26th July 2013, 11:05 AM |#6  
I'll have mine today (Friday) since I live in a border town and purchased one for pick up in store. I will also update with issues.

Sent from my Super Fast Over-Clocked Galaxy S4 with XDA Premium HD
26th July 2013, 05:18 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2much

I'll have mine today (Friday) since I live in a border town and purchased one for pick up in store. I will also update with issues.

I installed the Chromecast app and am wondering now if the nexflix / youtube etc apps for chromecast to work are also region specific. Please let us know! I ordered but a little too slowly so I'll have to wait.
26th July 2013, 05:23 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:

Haha damn you might beat me to it! Whereabouts are you? Vancouver here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
26th July 2013, 05:44 PM |#9  
Fort Erie. 15 - 20 mins to the Bestbuy from my house. LOL

26th July 2013, 05:55 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:

Fort Erie. 15 - 20 mins to the Bestbuy from my house. LOL

Haha nice. I'm picking mine up in Point Roberts. The nearest USA Best Buy is in Bellingham which is a longer drive.
27th July 2013, 01:54 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
I'm going to Buffalo tomorrow hopefully I can snag one for myself.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)