[REF]Nexus 7 (2013) Stock OTA URLs

3,581 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,642

By TheManii, Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor on 27th July 2013, 01:12 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
4th December 2014, 10:28 AM |#401  
Thanks Meter: 115

More
Even if you don't have a custom recovery but rooted LRX21P early ie with the modified kernel will you not be able to install the OTA? Will I not get the OTA in the regular way either?

4th December 2014, 10:50 AM |#402  
Thanks Meter: 173

More
So, in order to flash the OTA, one that have a custom kernel and root, have to:
1st - Flash the original stock kernel

and, any more steps??
4th December 2014, 12:06 PM |#403  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 23,227

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Interestingly I commented out the recovery fingerprint assert of the OTA zip so I could flash it in custom recovery, and also the install-recovery.sh checks and patch so it would retain root, and despite the zip flashing successfully it won't boot anymore, just stays at the boot animation. I'm kind of baffled by this. Maybe the stock recovery does some kind of extra voodoo?

Edit: Nope. Even gets stuck at the bootani after flashing through stock recovery.. Hmm, guess I'll just flash the system.img next and hope that my data didn't somehow get corrupt..

fastboot flashing system.img and fastboot formatting cache did the trick. Weird. Must have been some mod, even though the only thing I really did was root and busybox..
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2014, 12:34 PM |#404  
Flag Somewhere in the city centre
Thanks Meter: 23

More
same here.
Quote:

fastboot flashing system.img and fastboot formatting cache did the trick. Weird. Must have been some mod, even though the only thing I really did was root and busybox..

i know im the one who posted the ota, but i couldnt directly update it right away coz i was using twrp. when i got home, i flashed stock recovery but to no avail. then i decided to uninstall busybox and supersu. also, failed at:

Verifying current system..
failed to stat "/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" : no such file or directory
file "/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" doesn't have any expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": no such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: "/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" has unexpected contents.
"/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" has unexpected contents.
E: Error in /sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

so i hope your method will work on mine as well. all my current files in the tablet will remain right? thanks.
4th December 2014, 12:38 PM |#405  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanmars

i know im the one who posted the ota, but i couldnt directly update it right away coz i was using twrp. when i got home, i flashed stock recovery but to no avail. then i decided to uninstall busybox and supersu. also, failed at:

Verifying current system..
failed to stat "/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" : no such file or directory
file "/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" doesn't have any expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": no such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: "/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" has unexpected contents.
"/system/bin.install-recovery.sh" has unexpected contents.
E: Error in /sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

so i hope your method will work on mine as well. all my current files in the tablet will remain right? thanks.

I'd actually replaced that file back to the stock version as well to no avail. The zip flashed correctly and everything, so it was a different problem. Flashing the newer system.img should generally work for everyone now that we're just going L to L though.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2014, 12:48 PM |#406  

More
wait..
Quote:

I'd actually replaced that file back to the stock version as well to no avail. The zip flashed correctly and everything, so it was a different problem. Flashing the newer system.img should generally work for everyone now that we're just going L to L though.

newer system.img? you mean the system.img from the LRX21P?

or system.img from LRX22C?

sorry i just need to make sure.
4th December 2014, 12:53 PM |#407  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanmars

newer system.img? you mean the system.img from the LRX21P?

or system.img from LRX22C?

sorry i just need to make sure.

Newer as in latest, LRX22C, then you don't need to bother messing around with flashing the OTA zip anymore.

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot format cache
fastboot reboot

Edit: you'd also want to flash the bootloader if there was an update.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2014, 12:57 PM |#408  

More
I see..
Quote:

Newer as in latest, LRX22C, then you don't need to bother messing around with flashing the OTA zip anymore.

fastboot format cache
fastboot reboot

thanks, it works!
4th December 2014, 03:35 PM |#409  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

fastboot format cache
fastboot reboot

Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm reading you right.

I'm on stock, rooted 5.0 right now, trying to install the OTA, but I'm getting the error as well, both with stock recovery and TWRP.

So you're saying that I don't even need the OTA? I just download the full 5.01 system image from Google, extract the system.img from that and flash it in fasboot? That will update me to 5.0.1 and leave all of my data intact?
4th December 2014, 04:31 PM |#410  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubejb

I'm on stock, rooted 5.0 right now, trying to install the OTA, but I'm getting the error as well, both with stock recovery and TWRP.

So you're saying that I don't even need the OTA? I just download the full 5.01 system image from Google, extract the system.img from that and flash it in fasboot? That will update me to 5.0.1 and leave all of my data intact?

It should. This is the way I upgraded from Kit Kat to Lollipop, only that after flashing the images, I boot in recovery mode and wiped the cache partition (and in that case the dalvik cache). It worked perfectly since today.
The Following User Says Thank You to rapastor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rapastor Ad-Free
4th December 2014, 04:49 PM |#411  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubejb

Yes. fastboot flash boot boot.img too if you want to use the stock kernel as well. Then just flash the SuperSU zip again in recovery to root.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread